Music: When did your favorite band fall off?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Semms like every band reaches a plateau and then comes an album that kind of sucks and they never recover that sound that you always liked. Curious to know if anyone feels like that about their favourites.

For me when A Tribe Called Quest released Beats, Rhymes, and Life I felt it didn't live up to their previous 3 reacords. All these years later I find out that the group was on the verge of breaking up and adding another producer (J Dilla) wasn't enough to save what once was one of the best rap groups of there time. Personally I think J Dilla ruined Tribes sound.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I loved Pearl Jam but they fell off when they released Riot Act

I didn't think much of record and after the crappy one with Avocado on cover I simply stopped expecting anything to be good from them again

Since I have heard a little off of other releases and didn't care for it also the constant infusion of politics made me tune them out

Still enjoy old stuff but don't bother with new stuff from them

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well, Mr. Bungle only did 3 masterful albums and then split up, so never had the chance to rot. They're back together 20 years later for some shows, maybe it will turn into a new collaboration and this will be the time.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I interpret this to mean when did the band's output permanently decrease in quality. Three general points:
  1. The band needs to have a large, generally good discography. So I'm not going to comment on, say, Jimi Hendrix, since he only had three studio albums. Nor am I going to comment on, say, Deep Purple, who have 20 studio albums but only a handful that are essential.
  2. I'm not saying that the band has done nothing of significance after the albums below - just that there's a notable drop-off. For example, King Crimson had a fair bit of good material after 1981, but never made an album anywhere close to "Discipline".
  3. A band gets a pass for a subpar album, as long as it's not a permanent drop-off. For example, with Iron Maiden, "No Prayer for the Dying" was a massive drop-off compared to its predecessor (guitarist Adrian Smith left the band), and it was their worst album overall, but things improved relatively quickly.

With that out of the way:
  • Black Sabbath - after "Sabotage" (1975) (I never got into the Dio albums - I realize many will disagree with this)
  • Camel - after "Moonmadness" (1976)
  • Emerson, Lake and Palmer - after "Brain Salad Surgery" (1973)
  • Gentle Giant - after "Octopus" (1972)
  • Iron Maiden - not yet, but I'm in the small minority who love the Blaze Bayley albums
  • Jethro Tull - after "Thick as a Brick" (1972)
  • Judas Priest - a tough call as I find their studio albums to be frustratingly inconsistent. Most would probably say after "Defenders of the Faith" (1984)
  • King Crimson - after "Discipline" (1981)
  • Led Zeppelin - after "Physical Graffiti" (1975)
  • Matthew Good - after "White Light Rock & Roll Reviews" (2004)
  • Pink Floyd - after "Animals" (1977) - minority opinion, but I found "The Wall" to be bloated and uninteresting
  • Rage Against the Machine - never
  • Rush - I'm trying to work my way through their catalogue. The consensus seems to be after "Signals" (1982)
  • Slayer - after "Seasons in the Abyss" (1990)
  • The Who - after "Quadrophenia" (1973)
  • Wishbone Ash - after "There's The Rub" (1974)
  • Yes - definitely after "90125" (1983), but arguably after "Going for the One" (1977)

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I loved Pearl Jam but they fell off when they released Riot Act

I didn't think much of record and after the crappy one with Avocado on cover I simply stopped expecting anything to be good from them again

Since I have heard a little off of other releases and didn't care for it also the constant infusion of politics made me tune them out

Still enjoy old stuff but don't bother with new stuff from them
Pearl Jam's early work of course famous for being completely apolitical.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pearl Jam was very telling as to when they fell off because every album since Vitalogy may as well have been named "As long as it doesn't sound like 'Ten' we're okay" like they were under some kind of a rule yet that was what everyone loved them for. Post-"Ten" music like Daughter, Tremor Christ, Nothingman, Dissident, Leash, Rats and even Better Man are some of my favorite Pearl Jam songs ever. I labored through "No Code" (ironic that I don't think they've had any real stable direction since) once and at what point I stopped I can't remember. I just took out the earbuds and said "Ahhhh so this is why they don't play any Pearl less than 20 years old"

Honorable mention: the first time I heard"Do the evolution" I would've sworn it was System Of A Down featuring Eddie Vedder and it was what spurred me on to listen to their discography and say "This is the same group that did Jeremy? Oh hell no... what happened to these guys?"

I got to No Code and found out the hard way...

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I liked the first 4 Danzig albums a lot. I think after the fourth album, the original lineup split. And then Danzig released an attempt to be Trent Reznor (Blackacidevil)..

My opinion, there have some decent albums after (but not including) Blackacidevil. But, 'Danzig 4' was the end of their prime.

Reactions: NNCbama

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
All of the favorite bands from my youth (Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, etc.) fell off around 1992. Thanks a lot, Nirvana! :mad:
I thought about this topic when reviewing Bon Jovi's catalogue yesterday. Nothing was ever as big as Slippery When Wet. Lots of singles but never great Albums.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I thought about this topic when reviewing Bon Jovi's catalogue yesterday. Nothing was ever as big as Slippery When Wet. Lots of singles but never great Albums.

When an album is as huge as Slippery When Wet, everything after is going to seem like a step down, but New Jersey was still incredibly successful and there are a lot of people, critics included, who consider it the better album (because it's better produced, has more mature themes and lyrics and is more cohesive). I consider both to be great albums, but, yeah, the only ones for the band. They really fell off with their next album, 1992's Keep the Faith, though they've had enough hit singles and sold well enough to stay relevant in the post-grunge era while nearly all of their glam metal era competitors struggled and faded even more noticeably.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
When an album is as huge as Slippery When Wet, everything after is going to seem like a step down..

..that's how I feel about Pearl Jam's discography. Fair perception or not, I felt like nothing did (or could) live up to Ten. I thought Pearl Jam's creative arc was unique in that way. Their debut was their best, & each album got progressively weaker. Usually a band starts a little slower, builds to a peak, and then releases weaker stuff on their back nine, but..
With 'Ten', and Vedder's cameo on Hunger Strike, those early months were Pearl Jam's best, my opinion.

Same theory for Guns n Roses, everything after their Appetite debut was a 'step down'.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
New Model Army dipped a bit after Love of Hopeless Causes but I wouldn't say fell off.
Weezer after Pinkerton fell off completely.
Metallica after the first four is not good.
Toy Dolls stayed strong until the very last. (They released a new one which I haven't listened to.)
Tocotronic still strong.
Fields of the Nephilim after McCoy left
Dimmu Borgir after Godless Savage Garden.
Bad Religion has one horrible album (Into the Unknown) but that was early.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
R.E.M. releasing Up in 1998. Many people blame the huge contract with the record company, but I believe the problem was that Bill Berry was far more essential to the band than anyone realized.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Many Megadeth fans would say they fell off with Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings or Risk.

I never started being bored by their albums until after The System Has Failed.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
When an album is as huge as Slippery When Wet, everything after is going to seem like a step down, but New Jersey was still incredibly successful and there are a lot of people, critics included, who consider it the better album (because it's better produced, has more mature themes and lyrics and is more cohesive). I consider both to be great albums, but, yeah, the only ones for the band. They really fell off with their next album, 1992's Keep the Faith, though they've had enough hit singles and sold well enough to stay relevant in the post-grunge era while nearly all of their glam metal era competitors struggled and faded even more noticeably.

I enjoy NJ more than SWW at this point as well, aside from the guitar which sounds like shit on NJ imo. But Slippery is probably my all time fav album.

I like KTF, but even for BJ it's very commerical. One that really grew on me was These Days. Less produced and pretty dark for a BJ album. Good songs.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson were a perfect match. By the time Dangerous came out and Jackson had other producers it just wasn't the same. still good music but not amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad