When Did You Realize Crosby Was Better Than Ovechkin?

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
No. If a player turns 26 October 2017, he is not 26 or younger on September 15 2018. He's 26 years and 11 months old, thus ineligible this season.

To prevent more of this, take a look at this thread:

Should the Calder Trophy age restriction be eliminated?

And study some more on Damien Brunner's case who turned 26 in March 2012, thus he was 26 years and 6 months old come September 2012, yet completely left off the Calder voting in 2013.

Same with Mike Kostka who turned 27 in November 2012, hence he was 26 in September, completely left off the Calder voting.
2012-13 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Don't know about you, but I have known the age limit for the Calder is 26 since I was about 12. It's not breaking news.
Had to admit that I in that case have gotten this wrong all this time. Some meaning in that wording must be lost in translation, as english aint´my first language. But to me the wording seemed and till steem to indicate that you should be 26 and younger at the start off the season. But if Brunner wasn´t eliagable because of it, you are of course right. And as the third hit on google about it is this article, I guess I´m in the american company of misunderstanding it:
Red Wings' Damien Brunner makes smooth transition to NHL, giving club a much-needed offensive spark

But it still has nothing to do with Ovechkins and Crosbys Calder race. Age wasn´t a factor there, if the trophy was voted on as intended. They where both eliagble. Age in between the age restriction is not supposed to be a factor in the Calder voting. And you haven´t backtracked to that and other points at all, you´ve only continuesly moved the debate instead. And semmingly succesfully to a place where the opponent can be belittled in a way to nullify his other points.

And in this case it´s the bolded part, wich is quite concending and weird wording from how I see it. Why is it necessary? I´ve seen this tone around here more and more. Can´t remember it 5-10 years ago. When someone made an error, even if stubborn and from a long time misunderstanding like me this time (in this case and many others about something that doesn´t have anything to do with the debate...) , it wasn´t gloating and pushing that person down that was the first instinct. It´s getting tiring and honestley I see that I´m as well is affected and pushed father to an unpleasant tone when confronted with this kind of bullying and belittling attitude. And I don´t like it. And more often this kind of sidesteps from debates happens, here where the age limit of 26 or 27 yo somewhere was the assumption being made ment and somehow important in a discussion about a 18 and a 20 yo. Because the thing I wrote was:

And it´s not "despite being two years older". Age, if the Calder is voted one as worded, is not a factor. "To the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)". Ovechkin got it because he was the better player that season. It was even feared that some would vote on Crosby just because he was younger and therefore not doing what the Calder is about justice.

Your answer:
Calder has been an age-limited trophy since Makarov, so again, you're wrong. Age is definitely a factor and it's absolutely right to heed it.

Me:
There is an upper limit at age 27 for the Calder, but we where talking about Ovechkins 2 more years... that plays no role. And that's a fact. If you are 18 or 20 plays no role. The voters are supposed to regard age if under 27...

You:
Since a player is only eligible if he's 26 or younger by September of their rookie season, they're definitely 26 when (if) they receive the Calder. Thus the upper limit is naturally 26.

You choose to answer 1-2 out of 4-5 points, the ones where the semantic or a misunderstanding of a rule that ain´t necessary to the point being debated. Somehow more important to attack or straighten out that then the point discussed it self. Other points beeing deemed to be over the others head or just misunderstood again. And this is a debating tactic of this age (well, it´s old - but one more often used today...) that I think is taking the fun out of debating, both on this site and elsewhere. It resembles an argument tactic we in Sweden call "fox trap", even if not completley fitting the describtion. Getting the opponent on a defensive side by a sidestep in the debate on the thing they are wrong on and like you throwing in a "so again, you´re wrong" to establish that the poster is continually wrong to make his other points seem less. Even when there hadn´t been an established point where he was wrong earlier.

May be time to step down from the keyboard from me to be honest. It´s turning into a negative place even here in the History department for me.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Then again most wingers are not in, serious, contention for greatest goalscorer of all time.

Uhhhh....

Bobby Hull
Rocket Richard
Gordie Howe
Mike Bossy

It is almost a prerequisite that wingers be era-best goalscorers to garner historical recognition.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Had to admit that I in that case have gotten this wrong all this time. Some meaning in that wording must be lost in translation, as english aint´my first language. But to me the wording seemed and till steem to indicate that you should be 26 and younger at the start off the season. But if Brunner wasn´t eliagable because of it, you are of course right. And as the third hit on google about it is this article, I guess I´m in the american company of misunderstanding it:
Red Wings' Damien Brunner makes smooth transition to NHL, giving club a much-needed offensive spark

But it still has nothing to do with Ovechkins and Crosbys Calder race. Age wasn´t a factor there, if the trophy was voted on as intended. They where both eliagble. Age in between the age restriction is not supposed to be a factor in the Calder voting. And you haven´t backtracked to that and other points at all, you´ve only continuesly moved the debate instead. And semmingly succesfully to a place where the opponent can be belittled in a way to nullify his other points.

And in this case it´s the bolded part, wich is quite concending and weird wording from how I see it. Why is it necessary? I´ve seen this tone around here more and more. Can´t remember it 5-10 years ago. When someone made an error, even if stubborn and from a long time misunderstanding like me this time (in this case and many others about something that doesn´t have anything to do with the debate...) , it wasn´t gloating and pushing that person down that was the first instinct. It´s getting tiring and honestley I see that I´m as well is affected and pushed father to an unpleasant tone when confronted with this kind of bullying and belittling attitude. And I don´t like it. And more often this kind of sidesteps from debates happens, here where the age limit of 26 or 27 yo somewhere was the assumption being made ment and somehow important in a discussion about a 18 and a 20 yo. Because the thing I wrote was:

And it´s not "despite being two years older". Age, if the Calder is voted one as worded, is not a factor. "To the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)". Ovechkin got it because he was the better player that season. It was even feared that some would vote on Crosby just because he was younger and therefore not doing what the Calder is about justice.

Your answer:
Calder has been an age-limited trophy since Makarov, so again, you're wrong. Age is definitely a factor and it's absolutely right to heed it.

Me:
There is an upper limit at age 27 for the Calder, but we where talking about Ovechkins 2 more years... that plays no role. And that's a fact. If you are 18 or 20 plays no role. The voters are supposed to regard age if under 27...

You:
Since a player is only eligible if he's 26 or younger by September of their rookie season, they're definitely 26 when (if) they receive the Calder. Thus the upper limit is naturally 26.

You choose to answer 1-2 out of 4-5 points, the ones where the semantic or a misunderstanding of a rule that ain´t necessary to the point being debated. Somehow more important to attack or straighten out that then the point discussed it self. Other points beeing deemed to be over the others head or just misunderstood again. And this is a debating tactic of this age (well, it´s old - but one more often used today...) that I think is taking the fun out of debating, both on this site and elsewhere. It resembles an argument tactic we in Sweden call "fox trap", even if not completley fitting the describtion. Getting the opponent on a defensive side by a sidestep in the debate on the thing they are wrong on and like you throwing in a "so again, you´re wrong" to establish that the poster is continually wrong to make his other points seem less. Even when there hadn´t been an established point where he was wrong earlier.

May be time to step down from the keyboard from me to be honest. It´s turning into a negative place even here in the History department for me.

I'm sorry, but unless I trust the poster and unless they post at reasonable lengths, I only scan-read. There was no argument to begin with. I explained my stance and my understanding of the word "impressive" as related to goals, you failed to grasp it and posted several huge walls of text. I decided to focus on the points that are objectively wrong, just to correct you.

Now that you know that Calder indeed is age-restricted, which you opposed just as vehemently as the fact it's restricted by 26 odd years, instead of cherishing your new-found knowledge and expressing a gentle bit of gratitude, you again wanna debate for the sake of endlessly debating. I find that futile. I"ve said what I had in mind. It's over.

As for that quote

Brunner leads all first-year players in goals, but he does not qualify for the Calder Trophy as top rookie because he played in more than six games in two previous seasons in what the NHL classifies as a major professional league.

I believe the article got it wrong. Way wrong, and you can see why.

If anyone who ever played more than six games in two seasons in a professional league the NHL classifies as a major one (whatever that means btw), how would have Ovechkin ever won his Calder?

Almost no young stars from Europe would have ever been eligible for Calder, as many of the hot prospects have two or more seasons in a professional league under their belt by the time they have arrived at the US border.

Selanne?

Forsberg?

I mean, come on.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Ovi was clearly better than Crosby in 05/06, crosby was better in 06/07, then Ovi was the best player in the world for the 3 years after that. The next 3 years were hard to judge due to crosbys 3 injury seasons, but Crosby definitely closed the book after that either way. The last 2 seasons are up for debate as well, but who cares since neither of them have been the best player in the world.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
You misunderstood. I posted that link to show that more have gotten it wrong. Not to try to continue the argument.

And it saddens me u seem uninterested in reading posts, taking in critic and continue to belittle and use agressive sidestepping arguments like this...:
Now that you know that Calder indeed is age-restricted, which you opposed just as vehemently as the fact it's restricted by 26 odd years, instead of cherishing your new-found knowledge and expressing a gentle bit of gratitude, you again wanna debate for the sake of endlessly debating. I find that futile. I"ve said what I had in mind. It's over.

... when I more times than one said it is belitteling and bullying tactics. Once again trying to turn my words to prove I had it wrong more times. I didn't opposse that the Calder was age restricted. Not once. I said "age is not a factor" when the debate was still on track. After your comment "despite being two years older". Trying to point out that it didn't mather that one was 18 and the other 20. You willing or unwillingly misinterpeted it and brought in and assumed that I didn't know about Makarov and the age cut off, an agressive belitteling argument tactic. And even if I've gotten the age wrong with 1 year since Makarovs Calder, it still has nothing to do with Crosby vs Ovechkin in their rookie years. Wich was what I pointed out back there...

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
2011 ECQF
Game 1 - Game tying goal in the 3rd.
Game 3 - Ties it at one, late 2nd.
Game 5 - 2-0 goal in the 2nd.

5 games - 3 ES goals/points.

2012 ECSF
First ES point comes in game 4 of the series...the 1-0 goal.
Game 5 - Primary on the 1-1 goal in the 2nd.

7 games - 2 ES points.

2013 ECQF
No ES points in the series. His team is shutout completely in games 6 and 7.

7 games - 0 ES points.

2015 Patrick Division Final
Game 1 - Primary on last second GWG
Game 2 - 2-3 goal in the 3rd.
Game 7 - 1-0 goal in the 1st.

7 games - 3 ES points.

There are drips and drabs where any player gets pushed to the margin...Sid in the 2013 ECF vs. Boston (0 ES points), in 2009 SCF vs. Detroit (2 ES points). Notably, later rounds against tougher opponents, but still...it happens...

Sid's most common opponent is an archrival...Philadelphia.

2008 ECF
Game 1 - 2-2 goal in the 1st.
Game 2 - Primary on EN
Game 3 - Primary on 2-0 goal
Game 5 - Primary on 3-0 goal

5 games - 4 ES points

2009 ECQF
Game 1 - Assist on 4-0 goal in the 3rd
Game 2 - Assist on 1-1 goal in 2nd
Game 3 - Primary on 2-2 goal
Game 4 - 1-0 goal in the 2nd
Game 6 - GWG late 2nd, EN goal

6 games - 5 ES points, but you can lose one that didn't really have an impact.

2012 ECQF
Game 1 - 1-0 goal, assist on 3-0 goal in the 1st
Game 2 - 1-0 goal, primary on 3-1 goal in 1st
Game 4 - 3-3 goal

6 weird games - 5 ES points

2018 Patrick Division Semi-Final
Game 1 - 5-0, 6-0, 7-0 goals
Game 3 - 1-0 goal, Primary on 4-0 goal in 2nd
Game 4 - 4-0 goal in 2nd
Game 5 - Primary on 2-1 goal in the 2nd
Game 6 - 1-1 goal, assist on 3-4 goal in 2nd, primary on GWG late 3rd

6 games - 10 ES points, though you could easily lose 4 of them as they lacked impact.

Then after all that, you factor in how much more there is to the game outside the top of the circle in and all the things I mentioned before...I don't want to paint in broad brushstrokes, but man, it takes a really, ahem, interesting perspective on the game to take Ovechkin over Crosby for any noteworthy length of time...it's one of those takes where you make a Jim-from-The-Office face and look at the camera kinda things...

You don't control the matchup on the power play, nor do you control when you get them, so the team's that are gunning for you ought to have an answer for the best player on the other side. How are the New England Patriots so successful? They remove the biggest threat on the other side...how well does that really work though? Well, they've played in every single Conference Final game this decade, that's ridiculous...the guy's that can't be pinned down are the most special ones...notably, perhaps the best QB in history, Peyton Manning won three straight AFC Championship games vs. New England. Special moniker for a reason, tough to keep down. Sid's on that next level, Ovechkin not quite...but there's still story left to be written...
I get that you're comparing Ovechkin and Crosby's playoff stats because those are the teams they have faced most often. I don't understand how you could possibly draw any conclusions based on that. The Rangers were a defense oriented team from '09 to 2015. The Flyers on the other hand could hardly spell defense if their lives depended on it for the majority of the last 20 + years. Obviously Ovechkin's stats are going to pale in comparison.

You mentioned Crosby's struggles against the Bruins... of course a fluffy version of what actually happened... but it's hard to take your opinion on this seriously when you constantly point out Ovechkin's flaws yet blatantly choose to act like Crosby is without fault. He's not a perfect player. He has not always been a 200 foot player. It's already perfectly clear that your view of Ovechkin is somewhat impaired by his play from the last decade. He wasn't just good at one or two things. Just because he's not your kind of player, doesn't really mean that he was inferior to Crosby. There are different ways to go about playing the game. Sure, among his flaws in the past were his persistent failures at gaining zone entry all on his own. Part of that is also a product of bad coaching. He was free to do whatever he wanted on both ends of the ice and didn't really receive proper coaching until Trotz.

It's hilarious that some people can just scoff at how much Ovechkin dominated Crosby early on in awards and still believe that Crosby was better. It's not like he was just winning rockets. He was voted by PLAYERS and ANALYSTS as the best player in the league. Did everyone in the hockey community just get it wrong? Were they not watching the game the right way? Just ridiculous.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Ovi was clearly better than Crosby in 05/06, crosby was better in 06/07, then Ovi was the best player in the world for the 3 years after that. The next 3 years were hard to judge due to crosbys 3 injury seasons, but Crosby definitely closed the book after that either way. The last 2 seasons are up for debate as well, but who cares since neither of them have been the best player in the world.

I don't think anyone viewed them as finished projects in 05/06 which is what the OP is asking. Both had amazing rookie seasons, among the best all-time considering their ages.

And I don't think OV's regression in 06/07 should have been taken as his norm but it was a bit of a foreshadow of him as a player, as he has had more peaks and valleys relative to Crosby.

Reactions: filinski77

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I don't think anyone viewed them as finished projects in 05/06 which is what the OP is asking. Both had amazing rookie seasons, among the best all-time considering their ages.

And I don't think OV's regression in 06/07 should have been taken as his norm but it was a bit of a foreshadow of him as a player, as he has had more peaks and valleys relative to Crosby.
Agree, I think at the end of their second seasons they were 1-1 so it would have been fair to not put either ahead of the other.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I get that you're comparing Ovechkin and Crosby's playoff stats because those are the teams they have faced most often. I don't understand how you could possibly draw any conclusions based on that. The Rangers were a defense oriented team from '09 to 2015. The Flyers on the other hand could hardly spell defense if their lives depended on it for the majority of the last 20 + years. Obviously Ovechkin's stats are going to pale in comparison.

You mentioned Crosby's struggles against the Bruins... of course a fluffy version of what actually happened... but it's hard to take your opinion on this seriously when you constantly point out Ovechkin's flaws yet blatantly choose to act like Crosby is without fault. He's not a perfect player. He has not always been a 200 foot player. It's already perfectly clear that your view of Ovechkin is somewhat impaired by his play from the last decade. He wasn't just good at one or two things. Just because he's not your kind of player, doesn't really mean that he was inferior to Crosby. There are different ways to go about playing the game. Sure, among his flaws in the past were his persistent failures at gaining zone entry all on his own. Part of that is also a product of bad coaching. He was free to do whatever he wanted on both ends of the ice and didn't really receive proper coaching until Trotz.

It's hilarious that some people can just scoff at how much Ovechkin dominated Crosby early on in awards and still believe that Crosby was better. It's not like he was just winning rockets. He was voted by PLAYERS and ANALYSTS as the best player in the league. Did everyone in the hockey community just get it wrong? Were they not watching the game the right way? Just ridiculous.

I don't know what else to do to express it though. What more can I do? You have people out here touting him as this multi-dimensional wunderkind, you have people touting him as this and that, this and that...so I have to try to find different ways to drop breadcrumbs for people to track and trace and get to the answer...Ovechkin isn't inferior because Dan Girardi locked him in a safe...Crosby's not better because he lit up Michal Neuvirth in a playoff series.

But there's people that are out there watching the game and saying "Ovechkin's a better player...Ovechkin's a multi-dimensional this and that" and what am I supposed to do?

If you cut up shift by shift video, folks will respond with a highlight video of Player X doing this one time...or doing that another...or you get told that you forget how a marquee player played in the hundreds of games you saw of him...

If you throw awards out there, then the Crosby fans have a gripe because he was hurt, had more competition at center, had this and that...

If you throw per game stats out there, you get bit for that...

If you throw team success out there, folks tell you that that's not good enough, that's not on Ovechkin...

If you say that from a coaching and/or scouting perspective, there's a clear fracture (to whatever degree) between the two...if you cite connections in the business, too...you get told you're being condescending or whatever...

I mean, if it's like the gross brand loyalty of American politics, then let's just say that...your guy wears a red tie, so everything the guy in the red tie does is great. The other guy wears a blue tie, so I'll fight to the death for that. And no pragmatic approach will move the needle, fine...I accept that...and that seems to be about where we're at. And I'm not at all upset by that, I really don't even get into these debates for this very reason haha, they serve no purpose...both sides just dig deeper and throw even more **** at the wall (like the goof showing Ovechkin vs. Rangers in the playoffs as proof that he's a silver medal) and then the linesmen come in and usher us off...

I'm just interested in how it could be expressed...what's the medium? What's it look like? Is there a reasonable way?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I don't know what else to do to express it though. What more can I do? You have people out here touting him as this multi-dimensional wunderkind, you have people touting him as this and that, this and that...so I have to try to find different ways to drop breadcrumbs for people to track and trace and get to the answer...Ovechkin isn't inferior because Dan Girardi locked him in a safe...Crosby's not better because he lit up Michal Neuvirth in a playoff series.

But there's people that are out there watching the game and saying "Ovechkin's a better player...Ovechkin's a multi-dimensional this and that" and what am I supposed to do?

If you cut up shift by shift video, folks will respond with a highlight video of Player X doing this one time...or doing that another...or you get told that you forget how a marquee player played in the hundreds of games you saw of him...

If you throw awards out there, then the Crosby fans have a gripe because he was hurt, had more competition at center, had this and that...

If you throw per game stats out there, you get bit for that...

If you throw team success out there, folks tell you that that's not good enough, that's not on Ovechkin...

If you say that from a coaching and/or scouting perspective, there's a clear fracture (to whatever degree) between the two...if you cite connections in the business, too...you get told you're being condescending or whatever...

I mean, if it's like the gross brand loyalty of American politics, then let's just say that...your guy wears a red tie, so everything the guy in the red tie does is great. The other guy wears a blue tie, so I'll fight to the death for that. And no pragmatic approach will move the needle, fine...I accept that...and that seems to be about where we're at. And I'm not at all upset by that, I really don't even get into these debates for this very reason haha, they serve no purpose...both sides just dig deeper and throw even more **** at the wall (like the goof showing Ovechkin vs. Rangers in the playoffs as proof that he's a silver medal) and then the linesmen come in and usher us off...

I'm just interested in how it could be expressed...what's the medium? What's it look like? Is there a reasonable way?

Like arguing Coca-Cola vs Pepsi.

No point arguing with the parishoners.

Talking to the converted.

Wait for both careers to end.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
An 18 year old Crosby was 4 points behind a 20 year old Ovechkin. At 20 Crosby was the reigning mvp of the league. That says enough....

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
This thread honestly sucks because the topic itself is flawed by the fact that op makes assumptions.

It's not flawed, as the basic premise is correct. Early on in their careers, a poll was taken and practically 30 out of 30 NHL GM's picked Ovechkin to build their franchise around over Crosby. Fast forward 10+ years and most of us hockey nuts feel Crosby has been the better player. So, the fair question is "When did it happen for you?" And it'll be a little different for everyone.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
It's not flawed, as the basic premise is correct. Early on in their careers, a poll was taken and practically 30 out of 30 NHL GM's picked Ovechkin to build their franchise around over Crosby. Fast forward 10+ years and most of us hockey nuts feel Crosby has been the better player. So, the fair question is "When did it happen for you?" And it'll be a little different for everyone.

Well that's mostly because Crosby is Canadian and Ovechkin is Russian. I maintain my position that it sucks simply because the whole premise is based around that everybody agrees that Crosby is infact better than Ovechkin when he is most certainly not. I am not partial since I am not Russian or Canadian and I hold Ovechkin in higher regard.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Well that's mostly because Crosby is Canadian and Ovechkin is Russian. I maintain my position that it sucks simply because the whole premise is based around that everybody agrees that Crosby is infact better than Ovechkin when he is most certainly not. I am not partial since I am not Russian or Canadian and I hold Ovechkin in higher regard.

Then I agree with you. In this case the premise sucks. It's not my place to try to change your opinion on that, and I also believe that that is the beauty of a message board like this one. I have to live with the fact that I have Orr and Lemieux even higher than the consensus of the History Forum.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The only time I thought Sid clearly established himself above Ovechkin was when he won his 3rd Cup, and played a major part. At that point, Crosby's full-meal game and leadership cemented him as the best player in the world in my mind. That said, to Ovie's credit, he comes back the following year, has a monster season and wins a Cup and Conny. Then, he comes out this season and looks like he's going to win another Rocket.

I'll say this - IF Ovechkin somehow breaks Gretzky's all-time goal record, he will have passed Sid in an all-time ranking in my books. Breaking 99's goal record would be a legit monumental feat.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The only time I thought Sid clearly established himself above Ovechkin was when he won his 3rd Cup, and played a major part. At that point, Crosby's full-meal game and leadership cemented him as the best player in the world in my mind. That said, to Ovie's credit, he comes back the following year, has a monster season and wins a Cup and Conny. Then, he comes out this season and looks like he's going to win another Rocket.

I'll say this - IF Ovechkin somehow breaks Gretzky's all-time goal record, he will have passed Sid in an all-time ranking in my books. Breaking 99's goal record would be a legit monumental feat.

Given your emphasis on the playoffs, I am presuming that you had Crosby ahead of OV after their first five years then?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Or maybe, as their respective PPGs have clearly shown, Crosby was viewed as the superior player to OV and the GMs could not forsee Crosby missing so much time which is the only reason that OV is close to Crosby in career value.

Reactions: seventieslord

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Given your emphasis on the playoffs, I am presuming that you had Crosby ahead of OV after their first five years then?

Perhaps slight edge to Sid, but still considered them neck and neck and interchangeable. Pens had more playoff success but they also had better players. And Sid, while putting up some very nice numbers early on in the playoffs, wasn't a Conn Smythe winner and didn't even factor in the game 7 win to Detroit. So, yes, Sid had a better playoff showing, but Ovie was more dynamic (generally speaking), way more fun to watch, and had some insane hardware to battle Sid as the best in the world.

Like I said, what Sid did in the 3rd Cup, showed me he was the best in the world, without question. Before that, there was always a debate in my mind - sometimes Sid, sometimes Ovie, even Malkin in a rare blue moon, etc.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
With some due respect, that's crazy talk. Because Sid didn't play the last period of a 25-game (or whatever it was) playoff, where he wins a Conn Smythe against any other non-historical run, he doesn't get credit?

Penguins had better players? Gill and Scuderi were playing 20 minutes a night on that team, Fedotenko and Maxime Talbot were in the top six...they had a 20 or 21 year old third line center...

I have already commented on what dynamic means in hockey. So I'll leave that alone. I think "fun" is the deep down the answer to this, it's sizzle over steak...a lot of folks leavin' hungry in this thread...but, hey, at least they had a nice time haha

This is what happens when you play "milestone hockey"..."player X is a HHOFer if he gets to 1000 points"

- Ok, what if he gets 999...? Was he worse? Does he not get in now? It's a third left foot to frame the game like that...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What if he falls one goal short, is Crosby better as a result?

As absurd as that sounds, as of today - probably.

Right now, I have Sid ranked above Ovechkin all-time. Not by a lot, but Sid is higher than him in my book. But, if Ovechkin ends up breaking Gretzky's record, that means he would need to average 40 goals for like another 6 years (while staying healthy), which would be absolutely insane. Ovie scoring at a 40 goal pace at 38 and 39 years old would be legendary. Even if he scores 50+ over the next 3 years, he still needs to stay healthy and finish strong in his late-30's.

And to answer your question - barring either player going on some miracle Cup run where they win 2-3 more Cups, the measuring stick between the two would be so close, even if Ovie scores 840 goals, that it would take him officially becoming the Greatest Goal Scorer in NHL History to move him ahead of Crosby IMO.

Think about that for a second - more career goals than Wayne Gretzky. Yep, that would cement him as the 5th best all-time in my books. He'll have his Cup, his Conn Smythe, his shelves and shelves of individual hardware. And he'll have a record that might not be broken in many decades.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Last game of his career, Ovechkin hits the posts (both of them, for effect) of an empty net that would have given him the record...as a result, Crosby, who had been retired for three years at this point is the better player between the two? You're right, that is absurd.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
With some due respect, that's crazy talk. Because Sid didn't play the last period of a 25-game (or whatever it was) playoff, where he wins a Conn Smythe against any other non-historical run, he doesn't get credit?

Penguins had better players? Gill and Scuderi were playing 20 minutes a night on that team, Fedotenko and Maxime Talbot were in the top six...they had a 20 or 21 year old third line center...

I have already commented on what dynamic means in hockey. So I'll leave that alone. I think "fun" is the deep down the answer to this, it's sizzle over steak...a lot of folks leavin' hungry in this thread...but, hey, at least they had a nice time haha

This is what happens when you play "milestone hockey"..."player X is a HHOFer if he gets to 1000 points"

- Ok, what if he gets 999...? Was he worse? Does he not get in now? It's a third left foot to frame the game like that...

Mike, you seem sensitive about this? lol. I never said Sid "didn't deserve any credit." I said, he wasn't a factor in a decisive game 7 because he didn't play. That is a fact. If Talbot doesn't lose his mind and score those goals, the Pens could easily have lost that game and Sid doesn't even get a Cup.

I said that, based on playoffs his first 5 years, he was clearly better in the playoffs than Ovie, but the margin wasn't so astronomical that it completely obliterated all that Ovechkin accomplished in terms of stats and individual awards.

Throughout most of their careers, the jury was out on who the better player was over the duration. I feel the edge goes to Sid, but it has been close, especially with Ovie finally getting his Cup and Conn Smythe (his big glaring weakness) and continuing to score at an elite level.

The rest of the book is still unwritten. Right now, I rank Sid ahead of Ovechkin. But I stand by my opinion that if Ovie scores 895+ career goals, he will go down as a better player than Crosby when it's all said and done. He will be considered the greatest goalscorer in NHL history... and Sid, while incredible, will never be considered "the single greatest in NHL history" in regards to anything. He won't even go down as the greatest player in his franchise's history.

In all likelihood, both will end up top-10 all-time when it's over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad