When Did You Realize Crosby Was Better Than Ovechkin?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ovechkin was better than Crosby in 14-15, no question. His best post-2010 season comfortably. Might be his last season where he was constantly engaged and skating hard from the start of the season to the end. Since then, he's gone through plenty of stretches where he puts in the minimum required effort.

Reactions: Voight

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Ovechkin was better than Crosby in 14-15, no question. His best post-2010 season comfortably. Might be his last season where he was constantly engaged and skating hard from the start of the season to the end. Since then, he's gone through plenty of stretches where he puts in the minimum required effort.
The thing is Crosby was still the leagues third leading scorer. And before 17-18. That was Crosby’s worst regular season

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, but what about 2014-15? Was Crosby any better? I'd say definitely not.

In 2015-16 they're close, maybe slight edge to Crosby.

2016-17 goes to Crosby.

2017-18 again is really close, maybe slight edge to Ovechkin.

This year even again.
There’s a big edge in 15-16 and 16-17 for Crosby. Were talkin 14 and 20 point leads. With the same amount of games played

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby has destroyed Ovechkin on multiple occasions while both are healthy. 06-07 12-13, 13-14, 15-16, 16-17. Ovechkin when he’s “better” than a healthy Crosby is still getting outscored.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Pre-NHL, the very first time I saw Crosby play, I knew he was other-worldly.
This. Not sure how anyone can see other Ovi as the better player with how consistent Crosby has been his entire career, being younger, often injured and playing less games with the same amount of points.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
It's a tough spot, because you walk on egg shells here because if you say the wrong word about one of these guys here or you don't fluff the other guy enough, you get lawyered by some pigeon...so I'm pretending those people don't exist because I can talk to you like a human...

So Ovechkin gets locked up in the box and because he can't be separated from a star or semi-star center, Backstrom is now locked up too...there's a lot of scoring punch that's locked up because both players don't have a dynamic enough skill set to override an advanced scout against them. And the "throw the puck to Ovy on LW and have him carry it" was easy* to sniff out and he wasn't good enough to beat it often enough...

I don't want to paint in broad brushstrokes, but man, it takes a really, ahem, interesting perspective on the game to take Ovechkin over Crosby for any noteworthy length of time...it's one of those takes where you make a Jim-from-The-Office face and look at the camera kinda things...

A) Negative. Explained below. Or, I guess, above now...
Not really. Most of it actually mostly stood out as quite cherry picked, quite concending against others in this forum (for example quoted part above...) and mostly anecdotal evidence. For a setting example how you described both opponents: "Sid's most common opponent is an archrival...Philadelphia." and "Plays a completely ordinary Rangers team, 95 points", when in fact Philadelphia as well was a 95 points team... Or describing Backstrom as a star/superstar center. Ovechkin the first of these years had 112 TP and Backstrom was the Capitals 2nd best scorer with 60 TP. "throw the puck to Ovy on LW and have him carry it" actually worked just fine.

B-C) They both came in at the same time, it was pretty clear how it was gonna go from the get-go. It's a shame Crosby was cheapshotted, but that's the brakes...again, like I said above, Ovechkin's great, I know it's against the law to like both or whatever, but this is the position that you're put in and you have to make a binary vote...the pick is Crosby.

I like both guys. I also all the time expected and in the end was right that Crosby would be better in the long run. Crosby is the greatest player of his generation. But I was wrong in the short run. That Crosby set back a few years because of that high-ankle sprain (if I remember correctley...) is sad and without it he probably had been the better player 1-3 of thoose seasons. But he was injuried. And it affected his play. So Ovechkin was a better player during thoose years. And even if I at the beginning of every season expected Crosby to be the better player that season, he wasn´t during thoose 3 seasons. Just like I 97/98-99/00 expected Lindros to be the best player in the leauge, but he wasn´t. And that´s because of injuries as well. It´s part of the game.

Me and others saying Ovechkin was better for the three seasons, adding up to just below 1/4 of their careers - to me a quite noteworthy lengt of time as careers go, where their stats where...:
233 171G 160A 331TP (1.42PPG)
211 108G 176A 284TP (1.35PPG)

... and Ovechkin won 3 straight Pearsons and 2 Harts (and a runner up...)...

... doesn´t mean we all hate Crosby and can´t give him his do. When the whole elite hockey world doesn´t agree with ones opinion over such a long stretch, I think it´s a good time to look in the mirror and really think about why one has that opinion...

And I find it´s Crosby "side" in the debate that always seem really on the defensive side when especially either Malkin/Ovechkin ever being better is brought up. Finding excuses in every corner. I and most of us was watching the same games. Crosby wasn´t the player you describe most of thoose years. He was before and he was after. And Ovechkin had not yet fallen to the player you describe. He wasn´t as easy to stop as you paint it out. The "throw the puck to Ovy on LW and have him carry it" really was easy to sniff out, as you say, but he actually at that time still was good enough to beat it often enough...

And for the record, I´m not judging this on purely stats, but how I remember it was seen at the time. And what I saw at the time. But the stats are the thing easier to throw out there.

If you want to say there's a couple years where Ovechkin's better, I don't buy it personally, but I see what you see...it was otherworldly for a little bit in there, for sure...that has a ton of value...at the end of the day, you could stop Ovechkin when you had to...you couldn't stop Crosby. And it's not a "once upon a time" thing like Giguere or Thomas or Keith Primeau or what have you...it's just a reliable, whatever, fact...whatever you want to call it. And it matches the eye test, it makes total sense. At the deeper view, it makes perfect sense. And it was very predictable. I remember sitting with a group of my players in 2007 getting lambasted because I said "there's no way Ovechkin will ever win a Cup on a team where he's the best player...in fact, he'll probably never win one at all."

Actually, most of the time in the years we´re talking about teams could stop Washington. Not Ovechkin. Even the famous Montreal-series Ovechkin came away with 7GP 5G 5A 10TP. Winning 2 out of thoose games almost single handed. Crosby and the Penguins lost against that same Montreal the next round. Crosby had 1G 4A 5TP in thoose 7GP, but it´s Ovechkin series that´s always brought up. It´s the double standard that´s annoying. In some twisted way an argument will be made that Ovechkin couldn´t live up to guiding his team out of the 2nd round, when he actually was the one showing up every year.

And if Washington had instead made a few adjustments and given that team a few more years, I´m on the side thinking they actually probably walk away with a Cup there already. Blowing up the game plan in Washington after three loosing years, when the 1st year was manys first PO:s, second year was against the future Cup winner and the third year wasa against a Halak playing a few series out of his mind to me stanads as probably one of the dumbest decisions in the after 05-lockout NHL... Just like Trotz finally loosing his "only RS trainer", thoose teams in the end would have had the puck luck to make Boudreau loose that title. I hope Nashville, Toronto and Tampa Bay all give their teams patience right now for example. And even if so, most probable 1-3 of them won´t win the Cup anyways - because the luck with injuries and puck bounces ain´t something you can add in to the equation. But it´s the right way to go according to me if one want´s to give thoose teams the best chance. Washingtons chance for a Cup the following years dissapeared as soon as the the team changed system after that Montreal-series.

And I said that with no disrespect to the talent or skill of the player, but it's an easy* read from a coaching perspective and advanced scouting perspective. Whether players have the physical ability to handle it (spoiler: they did) was another story...but he's not terribly hard to coach against. Crosby is a real tough match.

So I got run through the ringer that night and for a while thereafter...until one by one, over the years, I'd get the texts or some of my old players would see me at the rink and go "wow, ya know, I can't believe it...dude hasn't even been out of the 2nd round all this time..."

I wouldn´t judge a player on team accomplishments, but feel free to. But I can´t see how any exit of the PO:s thoose 3 years falls on Ovechkin. That Ovechkin didn´t have a Malkin to fall back on when he was outcoached can´t be blamed on him...

Now, naturally, he won a Cup last year as the third best player during the run...but he did a hell of a job finally maturing his game and helping put his team in a position for success. And I appreciate how he was able to mold his game, make those adjustments but still deliver the goods...led the playoffs in goals, power play goals, shots...all the Ovechkin stuff, except working within the team concept. That's a sign of greatness. When you don't have to sacrifice something to make it work. And he did it, and he deserves a lot of credit for it. I think pretty plainly not a Conn Smythe, but, what can you do...fun stories get them: 2016, 2014, 2011, 2006, etc. that's the media for ya...

Agreed here. I didn´t see Ovechkin being the best or 2nd best player on his team last spring. Even if probably most important. Just as many other Conn Smythes, it´s the flavour of the year. One of the trophys that should mean most, but many years seems hollow. Would personally add 07 to that list.

Quickly on other wingers: Howe more complete, but less overall technical skill probably. Hull is Ovechkin but with a more dynamic skill set that encompassed more ice and more ways to dissect the attack zone. Richard does little for me at this level, questionably top-20 player. Lafleur does little for me as well. Jagr is a little different animal than the rest, definitely a more dynamic skill set than Ovechkin, much better vision and head for the game...but other issues (that is, self-inflicted) limited his ability.

No argument against here. I would place Ovehckin just behind Bobby Hull. Ovechkin by peak, but Hulls peak was just so much longer.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
We're talking about goals, not styles of play, and we're talking about goals by the same player, not comparing goals by numerous players, and you immediately knew which goal I was talking about by simply saying "the goal against Phoenix", but you can't just name-drop any other, especially more impressive Ovechkin's goals from 05/06.

Excuse my way of grasping things, but whatever you end up digging up on YT in the end, it sounds as though the goal against Phoenix left the biggest impression on you just like everyone else
clear.png

Btw listen to the commentators and what they had to say, it definitely was a big deal in the Crosby/Ovi debate and the Calder race as well.
Of course I knew what goal it was. It´s one of the most played goals ever. Again, more memorable doesn´t mean more impressive. Often just that the goal was unique. Like Mike Leggs lacrosse goal at the time. And even if that Ovechkin goal is an seldom combination of an great athletic, youthful offensive instincts and hand eye cordination it also demands it´s fair share of luck to happen. I even think Peter Forsbergs on kness goals against Nashville is a greater goal in "this department".

And I neither have photographic memory nor do I at all time carry around a link to my top 10 goals of Ovechkin by season. What I did remember was that I at the time was quite annoyed that this to me to a large part coincidencial goal got more attention than some of his greater goals that season.

And I of course have to admit that "a dozen" was a little bit for dramatic affect. But this is 3 of the goals that I think were more impressive hockey goals:

At 2:34 (taking down that puck, getting it in control and then the deke...)
At 3:17 (the shiftiness, protecting the puck, the foot speed, the finish...)
At 17:56 (starting the play, sprinting by with protecting the puck, finding the twine at speed...)

Maybe add to that one or two of his few other classic storming LW-goals, his at the time many RW-goals ending with the backhand and one or two of the perfect timed shots with the defender as screens after getting himself to that position by carrying or winning the puck.

To add: The commentators don´t even mention Crosby or the Calder in your clip? Only that it´s probably the Goal Of The Year? The Calder was about Ovechkin having a better season than Crosby. Doing more with lesser teammates.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Of course I knew what goal it was. It´s one of the most played goals ever. Again, more memorable doesn´t mean more impressive. Often just that the goal was unique. Like Mike Leggs lacrosse goal at the time. And even if that Ovechkin goal is an seldom combination of an great athletic, youthful offensive instincts and hand eye cordination it also demands it´s fair share of luck to happen. I even think Peter Forsbergs on kness goals against Nashville is a greater goal in "this department".

And I neither have photographic memory nor do I at all time carry around a link to my top 10 goals of Ovechkin by season. What I did remember was that I at the time was quite annoyed that this to me to a large part coincidencial goal got more attention than some of his greater goals that season.

And I of course have to admit that "a dozen" was a little bit for dramatic affect. But this is 3 of the goals that I think were more impressive hockey goals:

At 2:34 (taking down that puck, getting it in control and then the deke...)
At 3:17 (the shiftiness, protecting the puck, the foot speed, the finish...)
At 17:56 (starting the play, sprinting by with protecting the puck, finding the twine at speed...)

Maybe add to that one or two of his few other classic storming LW-goals, his at the time many RW-goals ending with the backhand and one or two of the perfect timed shots with the defender as screens after getting himself to that position by carrying or winning the puck.

To add: The commentators don´t even mention Crosby or the Calder in your clip? Only that it´s probably the Goal Of The Year? The Calder was about Ovechkin having a better season than Crosby. Doing more with lesser teammates.

Nono. That's a couple of goals you've dug up that can be argued as better or harder. The thing is, had they been more impressive, it wouldn't have taken you two days to "find them". You wouldn't even have to be looking for them.

When we talk about the most impressive goals Lemieux scored, we don't say, "oh, gimme a couple of days and I will find you one or two."

We say "the Quebec goal". Or "the Bourque goal". Because those have left a lasting impression. And everybody knows what you mean. Same with the Phoenix goal and Ovechkin, the Blackhawks goal and Jagr, the Lillehamer goal and Forsberg. All of them have scored better, prettier or more complicated goals. Had those been more impressive though, they would have gained the hockey folklore status like the ones in the aforementioned pantheon. Those, you can play in anybody's mind by simply mentioning them.

And while the commentators don't literally mention Calder, they almost literally wet themselves. Of course it was a big deal all things considered. Signature goals always are. Of course Ovechkin would not have had won the Calder on that goal alone, trailing fifty points behind Sid. It's that the goal may have sealed it, and it may have given him the edge despite being two years older.

After all, story always sells. Nobody gets to watch 82 RS games of every team. What you're really left with in the end as an award voter is numbers AND impressions.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Nono. That's a couple of goals you've dug up that can be argued as better or harder. The thing is, had they been more impressive, it wouldn't have taken you two days to "find them". You wouldn't even have to be looking for them.

When we talk about the most impressive goals Lemieux scored, we don't say, "oh, gimme a couple of days and I will find you one or two."

We say "the Quebec goal". Or "the Bourque goal". Because those have left a lasting impression. And everybody knows what you mean. Same with the Phoenix goal and Ovechkin, the Blackhawks goal and Jagr, the Lillehamer goal and Forsberg. All of them have scored better, prettier or more complicated goals. Had those been more impressive though, they would have gained the hockey folklore status like the ones in the aforementioned pantheon. Those, you can play in anybody's mind by simply mentioning them.

And while the commentators don't literally mention Calder, they almost literally wet themselves. Of course it was a big deal all things considered. Signature goals always are. Of course Ovechkin would not have had won the Calder on that goal alone, trailing fifty points behind Sid. It's that the goal may have sealed it, and it may have given him the edge despite being two years older.

After all, story always sells. Nobody gets to watch 82 RS games of every team. What you're really left with in the end as an award voter is numbers AND impressions.

I´ve been working for two days. Arrived home 2 hours ago. I choose to write pure word arguments online from the phone if I have a break that´s not for resting, but I won´t do with media. I haven´t been "digging" for two days. That youtube-clip is the first thing that pops up from Ovechkin that season, no digging needed... And of course I had to look for them. As said, I don´t bookmark my top 5 goals from every player every season... So yes, even with Gretzky or Lemieux it would be "oh, gimme a couple of days and I will find it" if I worked.

You are right now arguing and assuming things in a way that makes it very uninspiring to want to have a discussion with you. That others have to follow your rules on wich time to respond for example. Nullifying arguments because of your prefered response time . 1+1 is still 2, even if I wait a year to answer...

And the first bolded part doesn´t compute as I see it. Nor is impression the same as impresive. I could very well agree that the goal was the lasting impression of his Calder season, but it was not among the most impressive things with his season. That´s quite the difference in meaning.

The thing is he would, as I see it, have won the Calder without scoring that goal. That´s the important part. It was him scoring more goals and points than Crosby combined with his "bull in a china shop" playstyle that won him the Calder. Not that goal.

And it´s not "despite being two years older". Age, if the Calder is voted one as worded, is not a factor. "To the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)". Ovechkin got it because he was the better player that season. It was even feared that some would vote on Crosby just because he was younger and therefore not doing what the Calder is about justice.

But I won´t change you view, and I will continue to see that goal more as a freak goal. Not the most impressive.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I´ve been working for two days. Arrived home 2 hours ago. I choose to write pure word arguments online from the phone if I have a break that´s not for resting, but I won´t do with media. I haven´t been "digging" for two days. That youtube-clip is the first thing that pops up from Ovechkin that season, no digging needed... And of course I had to look for them. As said, I don´t bookmark my top 5 goals from every player every season... So yes, even with Gretzky or Lemieux it would be "oh, gimme a couple of days and I will find it" if I worked.

You are right now arguing and assuming things in a way that makes it very uninspiring to want to have a discussion with you. That others have to follow your rules on wich time to respond for example. Nullifying arguments because of your prefered response time . 1+1 is still 2, even if I wait a year to answer...

And the first bolded part doesn´t compute as I see it. Nor is impression the same as impresive. I could very well agree that the goal was the lasting impression of his Calder season, but it was not among the most impressive things with his season. That´s quite the difference in meaning.

The thing is he would, as I see it, have won the Calder without scoring that goal. That´s the important part. It was him scoring more goals and points than Crosby combined with his "bull in a china shop" playstyle that won him the Calder. Not that goal.

And it´s not "despite being two years older". Age, if the Calder is voted one as worded, is not a factor. "To the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)". Ovechkin got it because he was the better player that season. It was even feared that some would vote on Crosby just because he was younger and therefore not doing what the Calder is about justice.

But I won´t change you view, and I will continue to see that goal more as a freak goal. Not the most impressive.

The two day reply period was completely metaphoric. It could have been twenty minutes and the fact would still remain you had to look for something "more impressive". That's the crux of my argument that went completely beyond you.

Calder has been an age-limited trophy since Makarov, so again, you're wrong. Age is definitely a factor and it's absolutely right to heed it.

Basically, it's one of those instances when you would stubbornly argue a letter "W" or "H" or "A" in whatever I say, no matter how far from understanding you are in the first place. So why bother. Thank you very much for many, many words and let's disengage.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
The two day reply period was completely metaphoric. It could have been twenty minutes and the fact would still remain you had to look for something "more impressive". That's the crux of my argument that went completely beyond you.

Calder has been an age-limited trophy since Makarov, so again, you're wrong. Age is definitely a factor and it's absolutely right to heed it.

Basically, it's one of those instances when you would stubbornly argue a letter "W" or "H" or "A" in whatever I say, no matter how far from understanding you are in the first place. So why bother. Thank you very much for many, many words and let's disengage.
The point I made was that I would had to have look up even The Quebec Goal. I don't have thoose kind of links bookmarked. And that a greater achievement is still greater even if one has to look it up for example 14 years after a goal was scored... If it would have made you happier I from the start could have said that a few of his rushing goals both lw and rw impressed me more. But as I usually don't remember or sort goals by opponents and names, and u wanted specific goals... I for example don't call this goal The Phoenix Goal. This i Ovechkin Falling or Ovechkin On Back for me.

There is an upper limit at age 27 for the Calder, but we where talking about Ovechkins 2 more years... that plays no role. And that's a fact. If you are 18 or 20 plays no role. The voters are supposed to regard age if under 27...

I would really suggest you think about your attitude towards people if u wanna have a creative discussion.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
The point I made was that I would had to have look up even The Quebec Goal. I don't have thoose kind of links bookmarked. And that a greater achievement is still greater even if one has to look it up for example 14 years after a goal was scored... If it would have made you happier I from the start could have said that a few of his rushing goals both lw and rw impressed me more. But as I usually don't remember or sort goals by opponents and names, and u wanted specific goals... I for example don't call this goal The Phoenix Goal. This i Ovechkin Falling or Ovechkin On Back for me.

There is an upper limit at age 27 for the Calder, but we where talking about Ovechkins 2 more years... that plays no role. And that's a fact. If you are 18 or 20 plays no role. The voters are supposed to regard age if under 27...

I would really suggest you think about your attitude towards people if u wanna have a creative discussion.

Please...

Since a player is only eligible if he's 26 or younger by September of their rookie season, they're definitely 26 when (if) they receive the Calder. Thus the upper limit is naturally 26.

Anyone under 26 playing their rookie year is eligible, but that does not mean voters don't care about the age from there. Of course they won't give it to an eighteen-year-old just because they're eighteen if the teenager trails fifty points behind a twenty-five-year old. When the gap is five points though, the age will play a bigger role. And why not?

I don't know how to explain the rest, so I drop it.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Better player/better season

06: OV/OV
07: Crosby/Crosby
08: OV/OV
09: OV/OV
10: OV/OV
11: Crosby/OV
12: Crosby/OV
13: Crosby/OV
14: Crosby/Crosby
15: OV/OV
16: Crosby/Crosby
17: Crosby/Crosby
18: OV/OV

Better player: 7-6 Crosby
Better season: 9-4 OV

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Please...

Since a player is only eligible if he's 26 or younger by September of their rookie season, they're definitely 26 when (if) they receive the Calder. Thus the upper limit is naturally 26.

Anyone under 26 playing their rookie year is eligible, but that does not mean voters don't care about the age from there. Of course they won't give it to an eighteen-year-old just because they're eighteen if the teenager trails fifty points behind a twenty-five-year old. When the gap is five points though, the age will play a bigger role. And why not?

I don't know how to explain the rest, so I drop it.
Bolded: Because it's not the intention of the trophy, as stated by the NHL. "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League." Age is not mentioned, only the upper limit. Even if voters (and fans...) sometime wrongly take age in to the factor, as was feared by some 2006. I personally think age should mather. But it makes no difference. It's not my trophy to give.

"...players are eligible for the Calder only if they are no more than 26 years old by Sept. 15 of their rookie season." If a player turned 26 october 2017, thus being 26 on the 15 september 2018, he is still available for the trophy this season. He will certainly be 27 when he wins.

The part you can't explain is probably because you seem to wanna deem right and wrong on subjective mathers.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I've said this before, but 2007 is what started the separation I think. I think Crosby should have widened the gap after that but he didn't right away.

I think between 2005-'10 it was like choosing between steak and lobster. People that automatically assume it is Ovechkin have short memories. Crosby was killing him in the postseason, won a Cup at the Caps' expense then too. If you are a GM do you pick the sniping winger who is dangerous every time he is on the ice and throws his weight around or do you pick the center who is getting better defensively and at faceoffs who is more of a playmaker but less physical? They are scoring more or less the same, so really, it comes down to team needs. I don't think there was a clear indication. When Crosby scored the Golden Goal at the Olympics it was common to suggest he was the best player in the world. I always said they were 1a and 1b at that time, alternating on sometimes a weekly basis.

After 2010 it has been generally speaking Crosby. We marvel at Mario winning scoring titles while playing 60 games and Jagr did it in 2000 too. Well, Sid was so good that year in 2013 he almost did it himself with 25% of the season off. I don't remember anyone thinking Ovechkin was better at that time and 2014 just cemented it if you didn't think already.

Since 2014 Crosby has been more successful and overall better. Today I would say he is better in 2019 as well. More well rounded, able to beat you in more ways than Ovie can today.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö

At first glance about how I see it. Except 2015. That's Crosbys both as well. And 18 Crosby better player.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
"...players are eligible for the Calder only if they are no more than 26 years old by Sept. 15 of their rookie season." If a player turned 26 october 2017, thus being 26 on the 15 september 2018, he is still available for the trophy this season. He will certainly be 27 when he wins.

No. If a player turns 26 October 2017, he is not 26 or younger on September 15 2018. He's 26 years and 11 months old, thus ineligible this season.

To prevent more of this, take a look at this thread:

Should the Calder Trophy age restriction be eliminated?

And study some more on Damien Brunner's case who turned 26 in March 2012, thus he was 26 years and 6 months old come September 2012, yet completely left off the Calder voting in 2013.

Same with Mike Kostka who turned 27 in November 2012, hence he was 26 in September, completely left off the Calder voting.
2012-13 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Don't know about you, but I have known the age limit for the Calder is 26 since I was about 12. It's not breaking news.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

So basically you’ve accepted that the only reason it’s even a discussion. (Which it’s not really) is because Crosby had injuries smack in his prime.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
This feels a bit like comparing a bear to a panther.

Ovi is a shoot first, flashy big hitting russian winger with a lot of flair.

Crosby is an allround mainly playmaking canadian centre with a grinder mentality.

Two very different players with different roles. Anyone who claims one is better than the other is simplifying quite a bit.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This feels a bit like comparing a bear to a panther.

Ovi is a shoot first, flashy big hitting russian winger with a lot of flair.

Crosby is an allround mainly playmaking canadian centre with a grinder mentality.

Two very different players with different roles. Anyone who claims one is better than the other is simplifying quite a bit.

I think you should read through some pages of discussion on the Top 100 players all-time project. Not only can the well informed participants compare two different style forwards from the exact same era, they can reasonably compare all positions from all eras in an objective manner that should not be seen as taking credit away from any player's accomplishments.

Objectively, one can point to Hart and Lindsay finishes, raw stats, and PPGs to compare the relative value that each player brought to their teams and if one should be viewed as better than the other.

Reactions: Hippasus

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3