Wheeler should be captain now.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
We're you expecting him to be a leading scorer in his 2nd year?
Was he projected to be?

Well to be fair, this conversation is about making him C which is beyond ridiculous.

He's a marginal 4th liner right now and has accomplished zilch in his first two years. If he becomes strong 4th liner , which I think he will, he's still not going to be a C.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
He's been the leader for awhile. Paul Maurice has even tied his own future to Wheeler, with how he always praises him as an example as how other player should constantly compete.

This team still has a few seasons to go to become an elite franchise, and both Maurice and Wheeler will probably be gone by then, but it's impressive how everyone has viewed Wheeler as the leader of this club for the past while without him being the "Captain".

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
On Lowry,
I didn't say he should be getting a C next year at all. I said someday I could see him getting an A or C.

Yea it's getting a little OT so we'll end it.

It would be hard to imagine that Wheeler won't get the C over everyone on this roster right now.

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Wheeler would be my #1 choice too, but who knows - if Ladd ends up returning in the off season I would be fine with him getting his C back as well (unlikely he returns though, but one never knows)

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
Ladd made a comment today about being demotivated while playing for a team that isn't winning (us). I think Ladd doesn't want to come back anymore :(

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
On Sports Net last night they said in speaking with people inside the Jets organization, Wheeler is likely to be named captain, but it will likely wait until the offseason.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Ladd made a comment today about being demotivated while playing for a team that isn't winning (us). I think Ladd doesn't want to come back anymore :(

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Team loses a few games, Ladd gets demotivated (or was already before the season started?), team gets worse because the nominal captain has opted out, more demotivation. Round and round, it spirals down. It's no surprise to hear he tossed in the towel. Never thought he was a hundred-percenter anyway except in some selected games, and he was even more averse to manning up to his shortcomings than Pavelec. Maybe Chevy saw it too or heard from Ladd himself that he wasn't too keen on the youthful influx. I doubt management is expressing regret about his leaving except in public.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011

Team loses a few games, Ladd gets demotivated (or was already before the season started?), team gets worse because the nominal captain has opted out, more demotivation. Round and round, it spirals down. It's no surprise to hear he tossed in the towel. Never thought he was a hundred-percenter anyway except in some selected games, and he was even more averse to manning up to his shortcomings than Pavelec. Maybe Chevy saw it too or heard from Ladd himself that he wasn't too keen on the youthful influx. I doubt management is expressing regret about his leaving except in public.

Says a lot about his leadership skills, or lack thereof.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Says a lot about his leadership skills, or lack thereof.

Yeah not really what he said. Heard the interview on the Blackhawks twitter and he said being in the situation in Winnipeg where you are near the bottom of the standings it is tough to stay at the pace where you need to be and then coming to a team in the position of Chicago you are given a boost. He said it was tough and he is simply was telling the truth, and this somehow equates to quitting on his team. Such BS. Anyplayer would say the same thing.

Sick and tired of hearing this same old BS, garbage, crap spewed about Ladd's leadership. It's tired, old and doesn't have a leg to stand on. Ridiculous and pathetic. Give it a rest already.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Yeah not really what he said. Heard the interview on the Blackhawks twitter and he said being in the situation in Winnipeg where you are near the bottom of the standings it is tough to stay at the pace where you need to be and then coming to a team in the position of Chicago you are given a boost. He said it was tough and he is simply was telling the truth, and this somehow equates to quitting on his team. Such BS. Anyplayer would say the same thing.

Sick and tired of hearing this same old BS, garbage, crap spewed about Ladd's leadership. It's tired, old and doesn't have a leg to stand on. Ridiculous and pathetic. Give it a rest already.
We're entitled to our opinion just like you are.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Seems pretty ridiculous and pathetic to me to spout about what a great player someone is when he coasts through half his games (since long before he was injured). Would be nice to have a captain who doesn't do that, and Wheeler seems a decent candidate.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Link? I'd be curious about the context of the content.

Checkout the official twitter feed of the Chicago Blackhawks and it is a clip of Ladd talking to the media after his first practice and you'll see it's nothing like how it's being portrayed and all this amounts to is another weak excuse to pile on by people who have nothing of substance to back their claims.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Seems pretty ridiculous and pathetic to me to spout about what a great player someone is when he coasts through half his games (since long before he was injured). Would be nice to have a captain who doesn't do that, and Wheeler seems a decent candidate.

Agreed. Wheeler is able to rise above it all and set an example no matter the circumstances. Ladd wasn't able to do that. These types of seasons say a lot about a players character. Wheeler is clearly the best choice as captain.

Derfel*

I don't think he "coasted" through half of his games "long before he was injured". He was the top point scorer for the Jets last season. To suggest he was "coasting" is not a position supported by facts.

Derfel*

Checkout the official twitter feed of the Chicago Blackhawks and it is a clip of Ladd talking to the media after his first practice and you'll see it's nothing like how it's being portrayed and all this amounts to is another weak excuse to pile on by people who have nothing of substance to back their claims.

Yeah, just watched it - he talks about "pace" being at the bottom of the standings, and how hard it is to keep going, and how much of a boost it is to get traded to a team at the top. Doesn't seem out of place with anything any other player in his situation would say, and certainly doesn't seem to show he wasn't motivated in Winnipeg (as his results on the stats lines show - possession, points, minutes, etc.).

Wheeler has checked out of games in his career before as well. He's a leader, sure... but he isn't perfect either.

No one gets the 'C' this season anyways, so we should really reserve this discussion for September.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No captain should be named to the Jets until next season.

Naming a captain for the Jets now... is like the Titanic putting a new captain in place after it's hit the iceberg. Let this disaster come to an end and start fresh next season.

And as far as who next season... it's like Maurice said... in Canada it's more than just having a "C" on your sweater. Some people may not want it. IE: I think Buff is a captain in the room, but we all know he doesn't want to be in front of the mic.

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Yeah. Gotta agree with Koonta here.

Ladd did not say anything negative about the jets and instead praised the team in a few ways.

Why does this make him a terrible leader?

gbill2004, Chris, Beard - I respect you guys a lot, but I don't agree with those kinds of claims about his leadership skills.

Ladd doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like Wheeler so I think it's harder for fans to appreciate his strengths - but he has done a lot for the younger crop of jets, for the organization and for his team in general. You can tell from the interviews how much the players and coaching staff, and organization respected him. There's a lot of good he does that the general public has no idea about because he just isn't that kind of guy - he doesn't brag or isn't boisterous. He's just a class act and hard working guy.

Complex Chris I think you misinterpreted his comments. Also missed that he gave props to the jets.

This is all OT but I have to agree with those who feel Ladd's leadership doesn't get enough props. Everyone has their challenges. Like Derf mentioned, even Wheeler has checked out of games too. Everyone has those days. And Ladd was playing through a lot of injury...last year he really drove the team and even though he was battling injured people forget how hard he battled and his recent play shows he was probably slow to recover as well.

if It's good leadership, the best would have been Ladd and wheeler - those two are very close friends for a reason. True north may be waiting until the summer to name a new captain just because, as Chevy said, they aren't sure about the cap situation yet and don't want to close any doors with Ladd in the off season either.

If Ladd doesn't return, then find the next best guy and imp that should probably be wheeler - but everyone tnse is worth looking at should be explored.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Goes back to losing Frolik and Stempniak. :( Hate to keep bringing that up but there you have it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That is very different. I prefer your version. :)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
When you are paid millions to play a game, no one gives a **** about why, just do. Don't say it. Ever. We know they aren't machines, but you are paid millions. we pay thousands to watch.

It's not ok for a player to say it's hard to try as hard as they should.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00