Wheeler should be captain now.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Listening to Lowry's interview about Dano today, I must say he's definitely gonna be an A or C one day. He is a great interviewer, talks well and seems extremely smart on what to say.
I still Vote Wheeler for C, next year though.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
3 A's This year.
Next year, I'm good with Wheeler. He is the most vocal Jets and show's his passion a lot that is good.

With that though, people who normally doesn't see the whole pictures, behind close door, other off ice and etc. Will always tend to give it that person. Hence he is popular. Same with normal work.

Ladd was a very good captain, on and off the ice. Only draw back for me, he tends to not talk a lot. But it doesn't mean he is a bad captain. He just needs to improve on that. No captain is perfect anyways.

If Wheeler gets to be the captain, all focus will be on him with added pressure, on and off the ice. Captain is not n easy task because now you have to tread a fine line all the time.

GO JETS GO

If LADD comes back that will be so sweet!

Ladd Little Wheeler
Perrault Schiefele Stafford
Connor Matthews Ehlers
Dano Lowry Armia
Lemiuex Copp De Leo
Thorburn Burmistrov Peluso

You bury TBP in the depth chart as the 6th line. Where in a very good team, they belong.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
As Maurice mentioned, the captain's role is largely off ice and holds a fundamentally different standard and role in Canadian hockey culture. They are looking long term and I actually am inclined to believe that Lowry might be their guy. Not a knock on Wheeler at all, just that Lowry is a natural leader and the Jets coaching staff think highly of him. He may very well be an influence in that dressing room that does make a difference, and that is independent of what some, including Lowry himself, may consider an underachieving season thus far.

I dunno about that. The coaching staff thought highly enough of Lowry to send him to the AHL. Doesn't sound like a letter on the big club is in his immediate future.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
As Maurice mentioned, the captain's role is largely off ice and holds a fundamentally different standard and role in Canadian hockey culture. They are looking long term and I actually am inclined to believe that Lowry might be their guy. Not a knock on Wheeler at all, just that Lowry is a natural leader and the Jets coaching staff think highly of him. He may very well be an influence in that dressing room that does make a difference, and that is independent of what some, including Lowry himself, may consider an underachieving season thus far.

55. First on the ice. Last off the ice. Hardest worker. Far superior player.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Please no letter for Lowry. Don't want any impediment to trading him when Maurice finally realizes the player can't live up to coach's unrealistic expectations and is being superceded by upcoming talent. Wheeler C, Buff A, dump Stuart, A for Scheifele maybe, or maybe Little.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
55. First on the ice. Last off the ice. Hardest worker. Far superior player.

If it was up to me I'd give the C to Wheeler immediately and the A to Scheifele. The kid is ready for a letter and to apprentice under Wheeler until the C gets passed on to him a few years down the line.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
My opinion:

Wheeler and Buff get A's until the end of the season.
Next season, Wheeler C, Buff A, Scheifele A

I have no idea what goes on in the dressing room, but Wheels is definitely a good spokesman for the media, and seems to lead on the ice. Begin the transition to the new core by giving Scheif an A, as suggested above.

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
3 A's This year.
Next year, I'm good with Wheeler. He is the most vocal Jets and show's his passion a lot that is good.

With that though, people who normally doesn't see the whole pictures, behind close door, other off ice and etc. Will always tend to give it that person. Hence he is popular. Same with normal work.

Ladd was a very good captain, on and off the ice. Only draw back for me, he tends to not talk a lot. But it doesn't mean he is a bad captain. He just needs to improve on that. No captain is perfect anyways.

If Wheeler gets to be the captain, all focus will be on him with added pressure, on and off the ice. Captain is not n easy task because now you have to tread a fine line all the time.

GO JETS GO

If LADD comes back that will be so sweet!

Ladd Little Wheeler
Perrault Schiefele Stafford
Connor Matthews Ehlers
Dano Lowry Armia
Lemiuex Copp De Leo
Thorburn Burmistrov Peluso

You bury TBP in the depth chart as the 6th line. Where in a very good team, they belong.

I know Burmi has had an underwhelming year, but to automatically drop him behind 5 raw rookies and Copp to boot might be a tad ridiculous.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Please no letter for Lowry. Don't want any impediment to trading him when Maurice finally realizes the player can't live up to coach's unrealistic expectations and is being superceded by upcoming talent. Wheeler C, Buff A, dump Stuart, A for Scheifele maybe, or maybe Little.

I agree 100% with this. Was happy with his rookie season and play last year but very disappointed with his play this year. Not very fast, not winning battles for puck, almost zero finish around the net, not effective on the PK, and worst of all next to no offensive upside. But he gives good interviews?

I remember in a key interdivisional game vs Nashville on home ice when James Neal went out of his way to take a run at BIG Adam Lowry and knocked him down to the ice in an embarrassing way. I was waiting for Lowry to get up and defend himself or even drop the gloves but he didn't and Neal won the battle. (Neal, who can score as well) It was just one of those plays where a team from the opposing team was messing with you and it was time to stand up for yourself and he didn't. Thats not leadership in my books.

No letter for Lowry please. Limited ice time on the 4th line would be more appropriate and indicative of his role on a winning team.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If it was up to me I'd give the C to Wheeler immediately and the A to Scheifele. The kid is ready for a letter and to apprentice under Wheeler until the C gets passed on to him a few years down the line.

I don't believe that Schief is the natural leader type. I'm a huge fan and I think he is the type of character who will always be developing on and off the ice, so maybe he'll be that guy eventually. I just don't think he's there yet. Among the young guys, Trouba might be a better candidate for a letter, although he'll need to demonstrate to TNSE that he wants to be part of this organization for the longer term.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I don't believe that Schief is the natural leader type. I'm a huge fan and I think he is the type of character who will always be developing on and off the ice, so maybe he'll be that guy eventually. I just don't think he's there yet. Among the young guys, Trouba might be a better candidate for a letter, although he'll need to demonstrate to TNSE that he wants to be part of this organization for the longer term.

Sorry but between Trouba and Scheifele, number 55 is clearly way more captain material than number 8.

Scheifs just needs to work on his interview skills to eliminate repeating the same word over and over again (this trait might make him a good GM some day though).

Scheifs is also very much the natural leader type, he is already mentoring the younger guys much the same way Wheeler, Ladd, etc did with him. Also Brendan Lemieux and I think Ekblad as well mentioned how much Scheifs helped them while he was captain in Barrie.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I see it much differently. Scheif handles himself like a natural leader at all times. Trouba is more like your teenager that will take the easiest path possible. That's not the guy you want as captain. If I could I'd make Trouba spend a summer with Scheif and tell him to do everything Mark does to prepare for the season. We might then actually see Trouba start reaching his potential.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Listening to Lowry's interview about Dano today, I must say he's definitely gonna be an A or C one day. He is a great interviewer, talks well and seems extremely smart on what to say.

Yeah but can he build a World Junior team?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
My opinion:

Wheeler and Buff get A's until the end of the season.
Next season, Wheeler C, Buff A, Scheifele A

I have no idea what goes on in the dressing room, but Wheels is definitely a good spokesman for the media, and seems to lead on the ice. Begin the transition to the new core by giving Scheif an A, as suggested above.

It's Buff's room (strong source). Just not sure he wants the C. Might be convinced to take an A though, so I agree with your selections.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

Two thoughts:

1. This season has been a disaster already, and it's not going to get any better down the stretch. If Wheeler is going to be the captain, why get his captaincy get off to a bad start like that? Let him get a fresh start in the 2016-2017 season.

2. For all the talk of Ladd maybe re-signing as a UFA, if Chicago goes on a deep run and Ladd is an active part of it it does nothing but increase his value.He'll be able to dictate his contract terms and someone will offer it to him.

On your 2nd pt, could there be a better position for him to be in, with the game that he plays, than where he has landed? I think there will be plenty of dirty goal opportunities playing with those line mates. I expect a huge playoffs from him.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Adam

Besides being named Dub MVP he was also Scholastic Player of the Year in junior.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I agree with the now part of the OP. Enough treating this captaincy like its a sainthood. The players get the business aspect of the game. If someone is traded you move on the same day.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I see it much differently. Scheif handles himself like a natural leader at all times. Trouba is more like your teenager that will take the easiest path possible. That's not the guy you want as captain. If I could I'd make Trouba spend a summer with Scheif and tell him to do everything Mark does to prepare for the season. We might then actually see Trouba start reaching his potential.

Yes, I know what you guys are saying about Trouba. There are some major concerns there, but at the same time I like the attitude, aggression and overall toughness. The "attitude" just needs to be adjusted and matured. With Scheif I have different concerns. Specifically the occasions where we saw him wilt under pressure. Remember the world juniors? He was supposed to lead that team and completely fell on his face. I recall he had one incredible playoff run with Barrie where it looked like he could take them places, then he got hurt...if I recall correctly.

But hey.....I know we're just talking about giving him an A here, and under a guy like Wheeler, maybe thats another great development opportunity. Time will tell.

Derfel*

I agree with the now part of the OP. Enough treating this captaincy like its a sainthood. The players get the business aspect of the game. If someone is traded you move on the same day.

No need for a captain on a tanking team. Doesn't really do anything. New season, new captain, new direction - UP.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My vote would be to go as long as possible without a Captain, I find it entire category over weighted but that might just be me.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Ladd was traded at 6:45pm on Thursday...Maurice should of looked around the room once and announced Wheeler the captain at 6:46pm on Thursday

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ladd was traded at 6:45pm on Thursday...Maurice should of looked around the room once and announced Wheeler the captain at 6:46pm on Thursday

That would have been an extremely poor idea, especially with Ladd in the room at the time.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ladd didn't give much of a crap to stay here.... the last meaningful contract negotiations were in December. And that's from the media directly from the parties involved.

Can you link this up?
Ladd was doing what was best for him, we would all do that as its the right thing to do.
TNSE could have considered the loyalty angle but they did not.
I found that strange considering Pavs, Stuart and Thorbs got bad contracts based on loyalty that's another issue.
I would like to see specifically where you claim Ladd didn't give a crap ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00