Wheeler should be captain now.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets will incorporate the new captaincy into their 16/17 rollout. They'll be very focused on giving the impression of a new and improved product. No tanking for Nolan Patrick ;)

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Wheels for sure, next season.

Ladd and Wheeler were best buds. I've only seen them around town together.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
If you put a 'C' on anyone this season, you can close the book on Ladd for sure. He will not come back if he's not going to be the 'C'.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If they don't name a new "C" before the start of TC....who will be in charge of the pre TC captain's practices in august? :sarcasm:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If you put a 'C' on anyone this season, you can close the book on Ladd for sure. He will not come back if he's not going to be the 'C'.

That book was closed weeks ago. I can't believe people are still hanging onto this. Ladds time here was a complete fail....time to move on.

White Out 403*

By refusing to negotiate a reasonable contract extension Ladd shouldn't have the C reserved for him. Buff agreed to give some years back. Ladd seems he bent on a ridiculous 6 year deal. Thanks for all your contributions but good riddance and I for one welcome our new Wheeler overlord.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
That book was closed weeks ago. I can't believe people are still hanging onto this. Ladds time here was a complete fail....time to move on.

the team failed but Ladd did not. He did everything he could but was not given enough help. He can't make bad players good.

So when you say Ladd's time here was a complete failure it's nothing but a whole lot of BS. When you consider what he did on the ice, in the community, what he meant to his teammates and the majority of fans...Ladd's time here was a complete success.

Wheeler will be the next captain and will be a great one but I suppose if the team doesn't add to it's talent pool and doesn't get rid of the bottom sludge and the team finds no more success under him than Ladd then Wheeler will face the same crap people spewed about Ladd and his lack of 'leadership'

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
By refusing to negotiate a reasonable contract extension Ladd shouldn't have the C reserved for him. Buff agreed to give some years back. Ladd seems he bent on a ridiculous 6 year deal. Thanks for all your contributions but good riddance and I for one welcome our new Wheeler overlord.

He wanted what he felt he deserved and judging what others of his abilities have gotten in the NHL it is not ridiculous for him to ask for that. I don't believe it was best for the Jets but I'm not petty enough to fault him for asking. Good riddance, give me a break.

Derfel*

Everyone assumes Wheeler would be the captain. Anyone think perhaps Wheeler doesn't want to be captain?

It's clear they won't (and shouldn't) name a captain for the rest of the season.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Are people really thinking that Ladd might sign back in the summer? It's not happening. That door has closed pretty much. Move on, let him go. It's time to change things up. He's not coming back. He was a good player for us and a good captain but if the Jets could have signed him, they wouldn't have traded him. That's the bottom line.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
He wanted what he felt he deserved and judging what others of his abilities have gotten in the NHL it is not ridiculous for him to ask for that. I don't believe it was best for the Jets but I'm not petty enough to fault him for asking. Good riddance, give me a break.

I keep hearing all that Ladd did for the community. Can somebody elaborate specifically what is was? Something about when the team first moved here he took a special flight up to have a look around? I would think that would be expected.

Seems to me he was under contract to play hockey for the franchise. Dont get the portrayal as a philantropist.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Good lord. No need to name a new captain yet. Could and should wait til' the offseason. :rant: The vilifying of Ladd is ridiculous. Wheeler doesn't care if he gets the 'C' right now. And I'm sure the rest of the team isn't focused on it either. Who cares? Some sour-puss fans.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Everyone assumes Wheeler would be the captain. Anyone think perhaps Wheeler doesn't want to be captain?

It's clear they won't (and shouldn't) name a captain for the rest of the season.

Have to agree. Personally I might go Buff with the "C" or even Schief, might get Schief more involved in (all) the game ("s)!

Derfel*

I keep hearing all that Ladd did for the community. Can somebody elaborate specifically what is was? Something about when the team first moved here he took a special flight up to have a look around? I would think that would be expected.

Seems to me he was under contract to play hockey for the franchise. Dont get the portrayal as a philantropist.

He spent a lot of hours working with Special Olympics Manitoba, for one.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Special Olympics ambassador for one, appearances for other charities, etc, put in a little effort and have a look. It can be everything from being a spokesperson and volunteering his time officially to just being kind and gracious to fans he meets off the ice, he is covered on all bases.

No one is portraying him as the second coming of Mother Theresa but he is given this respect because he deserves it. The absolute garbage, hogwash that has been spewed about him by a few is not deserved and is a figment of the imagination.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Are people really thinking that Ladd might sign back in the summer? It's not happening. That door has closed pretty much. Move on, let him go. It's time to change things up. He's not coming back. He was a good player for us and a good captain but if the Jets could have signed him, they wouldn't have traded him. That's the bottom line.

Obviously there was a disconnect between the team and Ladd in what he was worth. Chevy's clearly very concerned with the falling cap - he's got lots of RFAs to sign and with Buff locked up, there's less money in the pot. The word is out the cap is going down, but we won't know how much until the final numbers are in (zero Canadian teams in the playoffs sure ain't gonna help!).

So why not revisit it in July? I never got the impression that management wanted to move away from Ladd, or that Ladd wanted to leave Winnipeg. He does want to win - maybe he slakes that thirst in Chicago this spring and is willing to take a bit below FMV?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Two thoughts:

1. This season has been a disaster already, and it's not going to get any better down the stretch. If Wheeler is going to be the captain, why get his captaincy get off to a bad start like that? Let him get a fresh start in the 2016-2017 season.

2. For all the talk of Ladd maybe re-signing as a UFA, if Chicago goes on a deep run and Ladd is an active part of it it does nothing but increase his value.He'll be able to dictate his contract terms and someone will offer it to him.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
If you're a captain you don't need a C on your jersey to prove it. Wheeler is already the leader and rushing the C to him this season doesn't change that. Wait until the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad