Confirmed with Link: Wheeler bought out

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Interesting that both in this thread and the thread on the main boards, when talking about his future with the Rangers, most Jets fans even Wheeler haters admit that he gives and will give it his 100% every game. You know who we don't say that about? PLD.

Two guys both traded from the club, one gets praised for his effort level and the other gets critisized for his effort level and not showing up to games. Yet many here were suggesting that the only reason PLD was getting those criticisms were because the fans were mad at him.

Because PLD’s a quitter, Wheels was not

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
PLD never quit on us, unless I missed something?
PLD was said to have quit on Columbus for absolutely quitting on one shift,
PLD quit on at least one shift in game 5 resulting in a Vegas goal. *
Based on that imo PLD quit on the Jets. **

* video highlights of goals from that game not available on nhl.com
** he wasn't the only one who quit that game (also never watched the 3rd)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't think the contract shows how bad his previous one had become. It shows that he took less to play somewhere he wanted to, considering we're already still paying him.

Criticizing Cheveldayoff for signing Wheeler to that deal when he was our best forward and coming off b2b 91 point seasons is really disingenuous.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Chevy's way of looking at it is that the contract he (Chevy) signed with Wheels had become so bad for the team, that Chevy would rather pay Wheeler Millions of $ to NOT play hockey for us. So if you have an issue with people criticizing the contract now, start with Chevy. BTW, I don't recall criticizing the Wheeler signing at the time. I am pointing out how badly it had become - Chevy agrees with me based on his actions.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, that's one way of looking at it. Chevy's way of looking at it is that the contract he (Chevy) signed with Wheels had become so bad for the team, that Chevy would rather pay Wheeler Millions of $ to NOT play hockey for us. So if you have an issue with people criticizing the contract now, start with Chevy. BTW, I don't recall criticizing the Wheeler signing at the time. I am pointing out how badly it had become - Chevy agrees with me based on his actions.
I think this is a very in the moment way of thinking. I don't think organizations sign multi million dollar contracts without forethought.

I think when the contact was signed, many factors were considered: past performance, current production, value to team prestige and community, consideration of chance to win the cup, how letting him walk could impact the teams sentiment from Jets players and players around the league, and others.

I also believe they would have played out scenarios, from Wheeler roi to contract every year, to his play falling off a cliff after the championship window.

At the end of the day, the benefits measured against risk were acceptable. I think Blake did well to not totally fall apart. I'm sure the Jets baked this into the overall contract - the overpay in later years considered a 'bonus' to Blake in order not to violate the cap.

So the east I look at it is they paid Blake more for his early years of the contract, and the money is actually better because inflation erodes it somewhat.

This is a business, this kind of stuff is 101

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I didn't know where to put this so I'll put it here.

We lost 118 points with PLD and Wheeler leaving.
How do we replace those points?

If Perfetti stays healthy and gets powerplay time, I see him getting around 55 points. That's 25 more point than last year.
Vilardi about 55-60 as well if he plays in the top 6.
That's 80-85 point s so we are short 33-38 points.
Do Iafallo and Kup score 38 more points than the players they are replacing?
As a team, do we score more points?
Vilardi and Iafallo were both scoring at a 50+ points in 82 games last season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

If Perfetti stays healthy and gets powerplay time, I see him getting around 55 points. That's 25 more point than last year.
tough to say for kupari or iafallo w/o knowing how the lines shake out or the PP units. I don't see Kupari getting more than 10 mins if he's a 4th liner for instance.

i think vilardi has potential to be around where PLD was for us in scoring, and i think his spot in the line-up is much more of a guarantee. I don't see Iafallo replacing Wheeler's scoring.

but collectively when you consider Nino and Names in now. hopefully not seeing Gus, Saku M, AJF, Kuhlman, Stenlund etc as regulars again. the depth is shaping to be better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We will also have Nino and Namestnikov for a full year. Nino likely gets 40 to 45 points. Name 25 to 35 depending on usage.

I also think the teams defensive ability up front will improve.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We will also have Nino and Namestnikov for a full year. Nino likely gets 40 to 45 points. Name 25 to 35 depending on usage.

I also think the teams defensive ability up front will improve.
I can see Names having a banner year if he plays with Ehlers and a corner man like Iafallo or Nino.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think this is a very in the moment way of thinking. I don't think organizations sign multi million dollar contracts without forethought.

I think when the contact was signed, many factors were considered: past performance, current production, value to team prestige and community, consideration of chance to win the cup, how letting him walk could impact the teams sentiment from Jets players and players around the league, and others.

I also believe they would have played out scenarios, from Wheeler roi to contract every year, to his play falling off a cliff after the championship window.

At the end of the day, the benefits measured against risk were acceptable. I think Blake did well to not totally fall apart. I'm sure the Jets baked this into the overall contract - the overpay in later years considered a 'bonus' to Blake in order not to violate the cap.

So the east I look at it is they paid Blake more for his early years of the contract, and the money is actually better because inflation erodes it somewhat.

Chevy has been accused of a lot of things, but I haven't heard momentary thinking as one of them. And trying to follow, you explain that this may have been contemplated in the strategy when they signed him to the blockbuster multi year deal in the first place. Well then, I wouldn't call it an in the moment way of thinking.

For what it's worth, I think Chevy made the right decision. The Wheeler contract had become so bad, he couldn't even be traded. Not last year, not this year. It only made sense to buy him out.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

Chevy has been accused of a lot of things, but I haven't heard momentary thinking as one of them. And trying to follow, you explain that this may have been contemplated in the strategy when they signed him to the blockbuster multi year deal in the first place. Well then, I wouldn't call it an in the moment way of thinking.

For what it's worth, I think Chevy made the right decision. The Wheeler contract had become so bad, he couldn't even be traded. Not last year, not this year. It only made sense to buy him out.
Worth mentioning the flat cap played a big part in this too. Wheeler's $8.25M cap hit for this year would not look as bad under a $92M cap.

If things had progressed as they did pre-COVID, you wouldn't have had so many teams operating at/over the cap the last 2 summers. Maybe a hockey trade would have emerged, who knows?

But I do agree: a buyout was the right call given the actual circumstances.

In the bigger picture, I have to give Chevy credit for operating as well as he did with the stagnant cap. We came out of that in a lot better shape than most teams.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

The Jets top 12 scoring forwards ended up with 448 points last year.

The way I look at it is that if the top six forwards all score 60 points and the bottom six forwards all score 25, that gives you 510.

I’d say the Jets have 5 forwards who are almost guaranteed to score 60 points if they stay healthy. Scheifele, Perfetti, Ehlers, Connor, Vilardi. That counts on some progression from Vilardi and Perfetti but I’m confident.

Can one of Iafallo or Nino get 60 points, not likely. But I’d say them plus Lowry, Namestnikov, Barron, and Appleton are capable of putting up 30 points.

In contrast, the Jets only had seven forwards score more than 30 points last year. This year, I would put the over under at 10.5.

Scoring depth will be the difference.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

The way I look at it is that if the top six forwards all score 60 points and the bottom six forwards all score 25, that gives you 510.

I’d say the Jets have 5 forwards who are almost guaranteed to score 60 points if they stay healthy. Scheifele, Perfetti, Ehlers, Connor, Vilardi. That counts on some progression from Vilardi and Perfetti but I’m confident.

Can one of Iafallo or Nino get 60 points, not likely. But I’d say them plus Lowry, Namestnikov, Barron, and Appleton are capable of putting up 30 points.

In contrast, the Jets only had seven forwards score more than 30 points last year. This year, I would put the over under at 10.5.

10.5 is quite the line

no team hit above 10 fwds with 30+ pts last season. 9 was the most in 21-22.

will be interesting to follow the jets depth year vs previous years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I think Iafallo gets 50 and Nino 45ish. I agree with everthing else you said except maybe 10.5.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
10.5 is quite the line

no team hit above 10 fwds with 30+ pts last season. 9 was the most in 21-22.

will be interesting to follow the jets depth year vs previous years.

I think Iafallo gets 50 and Nino 45ish. I agree with everthing else you said except maybe 10.5.

Ya, realistically 10+ forwards won’t get 30 points due to injury or time on ice. There will be a few players in the top six who end up with 70-80 points I imagine. Maybe a few in the bottom six who end up with 40+.

The point is the depth is night and day.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Iafallo hitting 50 would be the first time in his what will be 7 year career at the end of next season. The most he's got has been 43. Considering he's likely to begin with Lowry, I think 50 is a very tall ask.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Iafallo hitting 50 would be the first time in his what will be 7 year career at the end of next season. The most he's got has been 43. Considering he's likely to begin with Lowry, I think 50 is a very tall ask.
He was on pace for 50 last season...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya, realistically 10+ forwards won’t get 30 points due to injury or time on ice. There will be a few players in the top six who end up with 70-80 points I imagine. Maybe a few in the bottom six who end up with 40+.

The point is the depth is night and day.
Agreed between last year’s TDL through the PLD trade our forward depth has taken a giant leap forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad