Winnipeg, MB
Does your inner chaos goblin know that Babcock is Laine’s new coach? :sarcasm:

MFW reading this post:

Al Bundy Excited.gif

Reactions: SUX2BU

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not gonna lie boys, this had me in tears. To me Wheeler was always the captain of 2.0, even when it was Ladd and still was even after they took the C from him. He represented Winnipeg when everyone else just basically wanted out. Blake will definitely be missed.

Won't be hard for me to cheer for him in New York for like 79 or so games of the year. The other 3 he's on his own :P

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Interesting that both in this thread and the thread on the main boards, when talking about his future with the Rangers, most Jets fans even Wheeler haters admit that he gives and will give it his 100% every game. You know who we don't say that about? PLD.

Two guys both traded from the club, one gets praised for his effort level and the other gets critisized for his effort level and not showing up to games. Yet many here were suggesting that the only reason PLD was getting those criticisms were because the fans were mad at him.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Fair enough Vic. A terrific on ice performer but did not seem to have the gusto to be an effective leader of men. I think he seems lost when it comes to leadership maneuvering in a dressing room.

I was so close to giving up my share partner STs but I am trying again next year.

One thing you’ll know about me is I am no homer on here! LOL, just go look at my many previous postings. I prefer to be harder on these millionaire entitled pre-Madonna SOBs than the latter.

It will be interesting to see the consistent effort level, the character, the accountability in this next season. I was annoyed as much as anyone by what transpired especially last season with no PoMo.
I truly felt for Bowness!

I agree with you ultimately but to rain down on him as hard as you did in previous posts I felt was insincere and narrow minded.

Hopefully we see improvement in these areas!

who in their right mind calls for a player who has given 12 years of his career and life to be booed when they come back and play. Your assessment was spot on. Childish af to be out there booing the man when he returns.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
who in their right mind calls for a player who has given 12 years of his career and life to be booed when they come back and play. Your assessment was spot on. Childish af to be out there booing the man when he returns.

I can't imagine how massive the heel promo Wheeler would have needed to give, after twelve years with Winnipeg, to get that reaction. It'd have to be harsh. Like, "Andre ripping the crucifix off Hulk Hogan's neck" harsh. He'd have to have spent ten minutes shitting on the Golden Boy, Folklorama, Cincinatti Chili, then end with "..and don't get me started about that r****d Dancing Gabe!" to deserve even a THEATRIC reaction like the kind being proposed he should get.

Wheeler is a classy veteran; and even if he is an old fool from the old school, he still stood up for us when so few hockey players would. For that, he deserves our respect.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't imagine how massive the heel promo Wheeler would have needed to give, after twelve years with Winnipeg, to get that reaction. It'd have to be harsh. Like, "Andre ripping the crucifix off Hulk Hogan's neck" harsh. He'd have to have spent ten minutes shitting on the Golden Boy, Folklorama, Cincinatti Chili, then end with "..and don't get me started about that r****d Dancing Gabe!" to deserve even a THEATRIC reaction like the kind being proposed he should get.

Wheeler is a classy veteran; and even if he is an old fool from the old school, he still stood up for us when so few hockey players would. For that, he deserves our respect.

When he returns he should get a standing O that lasts several minutes.

And I'm glad he is gone now.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
There was a PP for Anaheim in the 1st I remember, Teemu got cheered when he got the puck and the crowd booed every other Duck.

Absolutely correct. The shot I mentioned was on that power play, if I recall correctly. Of course NOW Pavelec makes a save. Pavs screwing over Teemu was second only to Al Montoya screwing over poor Gail >.<

If I never see another hockey game in my life, I can die happy knowing I saw that one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was at that Selanne game live and loved it. That game meant so much to Winnipeg Jets fans (and Selanne) it’s hard to put into words. It was the mash up of the joy of being back in the league so there was a venue to say goodbye to one of the most beloved loved Jets ever. Perfect storm and such a great night.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
For all y'all reminiscing the Teemu game, here's the link to the NHL website.

If you want to relive that power play, go to about 25:20 on the video clip.

Also, apparently, it was Mason in net and not Pavelec. Thank goodness for the internet age to help me keep my "when I was your age" stories polished :)

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I was at that Selanne game live and loved it. That game meant so much to Winnipeg Jets fans (and Selanne) it’s hard to put into words. It was the mash up of the joy of being back in the league so there was a venue to say goodbye to one of the most beloved loved Jets ever. Perfect storm and such a great night.
Yep. I got that game in our ticket group as I had missed out on the season opener against Montreal. I don't think anybody left after the game until the 3 stars were announced and teems got to do a lap

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Happy for Wheels that he gets a year in the big apple. The near league minimum contract shows just how horribad his Jets contract had become. But Ill just go back over to the other thread where Chevy is a genius, the best gm ever and wins every single trade by a mile. Lol
I don't think the contract shows how bad his previous one had become. It shows that he took less to play somewhere he wanted to, considering we're already still paying him.

Criticizing Cheveldayoff for signing Wheeler to that deal when he was our best forward and coming off b2b 91 point seasons is really disingenuous. Pretty much every GM does that with premiere talent as that is what it takes to keep them. Not to mention, again, what market Chevy is working with.

You can question some of his behaviour, but you could never question the man's passion, dedication, and effort to the Jets org and the city.

It would be a f***ing shame if he got booed and can you imagine how that would further sewer Winnipeg as a destination for players?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think the contract shows how bad his previous one had become. It shows that he took less to play somewhere he wanted to, considering we're already still paying him.

Criticizing Cheveldayoff for signing Wheeler to that deal when he was our best forward and coming off b2b 91 point seasons is really disingenuous. Pretty much every GM does that with premiere talent as that is what it takes to keep them. Not to mention, again, what market Chevy is working with.

You can question some of his behaviour, but you could never question the man's passion, dedication, and effort to the Jets org and the city.

It would be a f***ing shame if he got booed and can you imagine how that would further sewer Winnipeg as a destination for players?

Blake is not getting booed when he comes back, there is zero chance. He will get the best standing ovation 2.0 has seen for a player not named Selanne. Not saying one or two guys won’t boo but hell even Teemu had a guy wave a banner that said “we forgive you” (whatever the f*** that meant lol).

Blake has his warts and it was time but he willingly gave his career to Winnipeg when he could have gone elsewhere. That means alot to me as I watch other guys force their way out. Not to mention he took this team deeper into the NHL playoffs than any other Jet before him. For the vast majority of his career Blake Wheeler was a sight to behold and one of the most dominant forwards in the NHL in his prime. We needed to move on this off season but I will pay whatever it takes to see the Rangers game so I can participate in the standing ovation and I won’t leave the barn until after his last bow. Same thing goes for when they retire his Jersey, I will be there.

Dude could be moody but nobody cared more.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Blake is not getting booed when he comes back, there is zero chance. He will get the best standing ovation 2.0 has seen for a player not named Selanne. Not saying one or two guys won’t boo but hell even Teemu had a guy wave a banner that said “we forgive you” (whatever the f*** that meant lol).

Blake has his warts and it was time but he willingly gave his career to Winnipeg when he could have gone elsewhere. That means alot to me as I watch other guys force their way out. Not to mention he took this team deeper into the NHL playoffs than any other Jet before him. For the vast majority of his career Blake Wheeler was a sight to behold and one of the most dominant forwards in the NHL in his prime. We needed to move on this off season but I will pay whatever it takes to see the Rangers game so I can participate in the standing ovation and I won’t leave the barn until after his last bow. Same thing goes for when they retire his Jersey, I will be there.

Dude could be moody but nobody cared more.

:thumbu: x1000

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad