Confirmed with Link: Wheeler bought out

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So happy to hear Wheeler is finally gone, and now we have a "coachable" team of young players. I'm sure Blake will get on with some team in around the $ 3.5 mil range. This should have been done last year, but it's over with now. Great, now the Jets can get down to business.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkp

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So happy to hear Wheeler is finally gone, and now we have a "coachable" team of young players. I'm sure Blake will get on with some team in around the $ 3.5 mil range. This shoulod have been done last year, but it's over with now. Great, now the Jets can get down to business.
I don't think he'll get that much on a contender.

Reactions: Channelcat and GNP

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Congrats to Chevy and the Jets on drafting Barlow. This buy-out is an epic failure though. Wheeler should have been the greatest third liner in the NHL the last 2 years and this year.

I don't think he'll get that much on a contender.
Katy got $4 million.

Edit: Sorry, you said contender. That is correct. Wheeler will get only $1 million on a contender.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
My ultimate memory of Wheeler will be his disagreement with Bowness at the exit interviews. He straight up lied when he said
Bowness had never given them his message before about pushback.. Horrible captain and deserves nothing but boo's when/if he touches the puck next year.

Don't give me the argument he 'gave it all' every shift because he was horrid in his own zone and never made any effort to improve there.

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
I'm just waking up to the news.

I know it had to be done, but I'm still sad to see it end this way. Wheels was my favourite Jet for many years, and I regret not ever getting my Wheeler jersey signed. Definately have mixed feelings about this, but it's clear the team needs new leadership and he simply didn't fit that role any longer.

Best of luck to Blake and his family in their future endeavours. Hopefully a team gives him a chance to play for a few more years before he officially retires.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
My ultimate memory of Wheeler will be his disagreement with Bowness at the exit interviews. He straight up lied when he said
Bowness had never given them his message before about pushback.. Horrible captain and deserves nothing but boo's when/if he touches the puck next year.

Don't give me the argument he 'gave it all' every shift because he was horrid in his own zone and never made any effort to improve there.
if people boo him they are pathetic...

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Hopefully at some point in the future Wheeler's antics will be exposed. I think he did more harm to the room than what people think.

He looked like contributor on the surface, but at the end of the day I think he made it all about himself.

Clearly he is good at fooling people.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Wheeler deserves it
No he does not!

He was a real warrior here.

I wish him luck. Was an unbelievable Jet player all in all.

Top 5 all time EZ in Jets history.

Hopefully at some point in the future Wheeler's antics will be exposed. I think he did more harm to the room than what people think.

He looked like contributor on the surface, but at the end of the day I think he made it all about himself.

You’re funny newbie

Really bittersweet to see him bought out. It'd really sad how things ended up but in the end the team is better off
This I can agree with!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I don’t think that at all.
I think he expected everyone to be like him and if that were true to life we would have won a cup.
Leadership is a delicate balance between a leader and mentor.
Not everyone responds to a rah rah guy and I suspect that’s where SOME players had issues which ultimately affected chemistry.
This team has way too much talent to under achieve like they did, keeping in mind that Hellebucyk covered up many problems the last several seasons.
I’m hoping this whole team culture changes and that the new core is more focused on playing 60 minutes night in and night out.
Perhaps Helle and Scheifele can reset??!

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
What a sad day. The best forward in Jets 2.0 history departs. I don't know when we will see another forward wearing a Jets jersey who is as elite as Wheeler was during his prime 2011-2018 years.

My 2nd favorite Jet after Buff and easily my favorite Jet forward.

This has been a weird week for me, getting rid of a player that I probably hated the most in PLD and also getting rid of a player that I probably loved the most in Wheeler.:laugh:
I can’t agree with many of your comments but this one we can.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think the combo of Buff and Wheeler would have, and shortly did, make for a great leadership group. I'm not putting the blame of how it deteriorated on Buff for retiring, but I think his retiring ended up detrimental for the leadership of the team. It's easy to say Wheeler should have changed his leadership style, but I'm not sure he could.

From when he was traded to Atlanta, through the only cup worthy team we've had, he was by all accounts an excellent leader, and I appreciate that.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Congrats to Chevy and the Jets on drafting Barlow. This buy-out is an epic failure though. Wheeler should have been the greatest third liner in the NHL the last 2 years and this year.

Katy got $4 million.

Edit: Sorry, you said contender. That is correct. Wheeler will get only $1 million on a contender.
I understand the sentiment as I've thought this as well, but I don't think Wheeler wanted to be a bottom 6 player here (clearly). This buyout was probably the most reasonable option in my opinion

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he took too much for granted. Found him to be a jerk whenever I met him after the Jets cup run in 2018.

But wish him well. I see him signing with the Rangers.

Reactions: angrymnky

Whileee

May 29, 2010
if people boo him they are pathetic...
I don't see that happening. A large contingent of the most ardent Wheeler critics probably don't buy many tickets. Ticket buyers tend to be a fairly positive segment of the fan base, and really try to appreciate players like Wheeler. I could see a few local press guys booing from their free seats in the press gallery, though.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

You must be great at funerals….

Reactions: tacogeoff

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

His jersey will be retired by the team when his career is over. He's not getting any boos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad