WhatWouldJarmoDo: The Columbus-themed Mock Draft

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
So assuming we choose to draft a forward with our first pick, even more likely given that Pulock and Nurse went reasonably early, the list of realistic choices is not that lengthy.

Horvat
Mantha
Zykov
Wennberg
Lazar
None of the Above

I guess the timing of the other poll thread points out the most likely answers. If people post below, to debate in the manner that the real scouting staff would, about the pros and cons of each guy we can reach a consensus (hopefully). I will summarise our findings and make the pick around 5-6pm ET (before I go to bed here in England).

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
So to start us off I will give my gut feelings.

Horvat - He has shown a big-game personality recently and that is an admirable trait especially with our new-found accountability and work ethic. The drawback as I see it is whether he has the same offensive upside in terms of scoring points as some other guys around (Mantha?).

Mantha - He is a big guy with goal-scorers hands, which are nice commodities to have. I know there is a debate around his personality with some claiming there are no issues and some believing they are not so big a drawback.

Zykov - He is potentially a great pick due to his mixture of good size, good skating for a big man and a nose for the goal. He was low-ranked initially so is there a risk factor we don't know about and would he be around for our second pick?

Lazar - He has a lot of grit for a guy expected to be a top 6 forward and looks like a good all-rounder who should translate well to the NHL. However I know he tends not to receive much praise from some people because of some perceived failing, perhaps a lack of flashy plays?

Wennberg - He looks a really good defensive forward who can play responsible hockey in play-off type situations, with a very good Hockey IQ. On the other hand he probably has less offensive upside than most other options and do we prioritize potential point scorers over potential Selke finalists?

Any thoughts?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I say Horvat and look to 19 for another of the top forwards. he sounds most like a Jacket player. Mantha scares me because of the inconsistency issue.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not sure we can just rule out Zadorov because he is a defenseman. In my opinion, I think a strong argument can be made that he is the BPA left on the board.

A 6'5" defenseman who is a smooth skater and has an excellent shot? Count me in. You can never have too much depth on the point.

The biggest thing against him is his first name - we didn't have success with the last time we drafted a Nikita in the first round. :sarcasm:

He would be my pick.

EDIT: I wouldn't be upset if we got Horvat here instead, though.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think Mantha because a) he's likely the best sure offensive piece there and b) what's with the compete issues?

I also think Wennberg and Lazar will be available later (maybe Horvat) and all of them would look good then.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Tough one, but im gonna go with Mantha. I want Lazar but I don't want to reach. Yet I don't think he'll be there with the 2nd pick.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm not sure we can just rule out Zadorov because he is a defenseman. In my opinion, I think a strong argument can be made that he is the BPA left on the board.

A 6'5" defenseman who is a smooth skater and has an excellent shot? Count me in. You can never have too much depth on the point.

The biggest thing against him is his first name - we didn't have success with the last time we drafted a Nikita in the first round. :sarcasm:

He would be my pick.

If someone I trust a great deal compares Zadorov to Boris Valabik, then I think that's a compelling reason to look elsewhere. The most notable thing Valabik did in the NHL was get punched in the taint by Sidney Crosby.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
It sounds like Horvat or Mantha are the two most popular options. I have to admit I don't see the attraction of Zadorov.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think we should defer to the HF draft poll which clearly shows Horvat as the choice of the fans here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we should defer to the HF draft poll which clearly shows Horvat as the choice of the fans here.

Wennberg wasn't available in that poll. So far we have a couple folks saying that they'd switch their votes, but most voters don't comment so how would we know without a formal poll?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So hopefully OP will set the poll when he awakens tomorrow morning across the pond. I still think its an overkill but a poll between Horvat,Wennberg,& Mantha would seem about right.

But 12 guys would have to switch off of Horvat to Wennberg with no more votes for Mantha, Seems like a waste of time to me but I'll vote Horvat again.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
So hopefully OP will set the poll when he awakens tomorrow morning across the pond. I still think its an overkill but a poll between Horvat,Wennberg,& Mantha would seem about right.

But 12 guys would have to switch off of Horvat to Wennberg with no more votes for Mantha, Seems like a waste of time to me but I'll vote Horvat again.

Yeah, Wennberg isn't going to knock me off of Horvat either.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If someone I trust a great deal compares Zadorov to Boris Valabik, then I think that's a compelling reason to look elsewhere. The most notable thing Valabik did in the NHL was get punched in the taint by Sidney Crosby.

But he can skate and play hockey.... I think thats a terrible comparison
Only comparible thing i guess is the fact they are huge other then that i dont see it.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Haven't really heard Zadorov being mentioned as a smooth skater, or a puck mover... most of what I have seen points to a stay at home, shutdown type of guy. Not that we can't use a guy like that, but I find it hard to draft him ahead of a guy like Horvat - in our situation, at least.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
Firstly apologies for not making the decision last night. I decided to hang on in case some guys wanted to post after they got home from work.

I agree that with Horvat having an overwhelming majority on the other thread's poll there seems little point in casting a new vote here.

CBJFitzy

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus, OH
I am noticing the Ottawa Senators reps slowly creeping toward the stage. Might we see the Sabres get passed a la the Minnesota Vikings?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think we should put a hold on the draft before the 17th pick until the Wings,Sens & Rangers are done. Of course at the pace Buffalo is picking, it may not be necessary.:laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Long day if work. With the 16th pick in the draft, the Buffalo Sabres select the 6' Left Winger from the QJMHL Valentin Zykov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad