What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Modern NHL is FAR more entertaining then the "the good old times" of NHL.

As a matter of fact, the current version of NHL is as close to ideal league then we've seen in any sport, maybe ever.

Playoff seeding doesn't seem to even matter these days. President Trophy winner hasn't won the SC in 6 years and only twice in the last 17. Which league in history can you say that about?

Just compare this league to what is happening in NBA...

Wow, is that ever a controversial opinion....

But what do you consider "the good old times"? What era?

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Luck is a skill.

When your team loses, it's because the other team got lucky. But when your team wins, it's never because they were lucky. It's because they kept their skates moving, kept their heads up, kept their sticks on the ice,
kept communicating. They went to the net, finished their checks, didn't give up on plays. Etc. Luck is what happens when you're focused on what you're doing.

FatGiraffe

Oct 5, 2016
Being a referee is the hardest job in hockey, and referees are massively underappreciated. Yes they do make mistakes, but it's a really hard job. I think its even more true for football though.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
3-on-3 OT should have an over-and-back delay of game penalty added:
If a team enters the offensive zone, and the puck leaves the attacking zone with the puck in their possession, a 2-minute delay of game penalty shall be assessed.

They may want to try setting the over-and-back line as the red line to start, instead of the blue line. But they need to get rid of this timid, attack-and-retreat style a lot of teams are doing more now in OT. It's sending more games to shootouts than there needs to be.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
3-on-3 OT should have an over-and-back delay of game penalty added:
If a team enters the offensive zone, and the puck leaves the attacking zone with the puck in their possession, a 2-minute delay of game penalty shall be assessed.

They may want to try setting the over-and-back line as the red line to start, instead of the blue line. But they need to get rid of this timid, attack-and-retreat style a lot of teams are doing more now in OT. It's sending more games to shootouts than there needs to be.

horrible idea.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
The obsession with ranking players on all-time lists is unhealthy and does nothing to reflect or illustrate the game's evolution. Just the opposite--every generation wants to see their own heroes at the top of the list and history gets revised accordingly. The Big Four will all get pushed aside eventually.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
In your opinion, how were the Leafs built on analytics? Sure, Dubas has a but of a numbers background, but I see the Leafs as a classic draft and develop team. If you look at how their "core" were acquired:

Matthews, Rielly, Marner, Nylander: Drafted ( and not by Dubas)
Tavares- Free Agency ( and "analytics" generally advise against big money free agent deals)
Andersen- Trade ( and I don't think Lou was looking at his expected save percentage or whatever)

Key role players such as Hyman, Kapanen, Johnsson and Dermott also came through the Marlies.

As for Ceci, any analytics would have told you he is the last guy the Leafs needed this summer. His numbers have been atrocious his entire career. The Leafs definitely didn't trade for him because of his Corsi, xGF, etc. I think Dubas was just trying to pump his trade value with those recent comments.

And the Leafs as a whole aren't perceived as anything special by "advanced" stats. Since the start of last season, they are 8th in CF% and 14th in xGF% at 5v5, per Natural Stat Trick.

The Leafs and other NHL teams utilize and share analytics, I'd have to imagine the group is larger now than it was 6 years ago.

Where the team ranks in publicly tracked "advanced stats" does not disprove that the Leafs use analytics. Teams do not only rely on player analytics, there is also a push for business analytics, market analysis, etc. Not to mention that the teams which do track on-ice analytics utilize a number of other stats that we dont get on NaturalStattrick. It was happening before Dubas and will continue when he is gone.

Advanced stats might tell you not to go out and buy Tavares because the on ice return versus the cost of his contract does not create relative value, but business analytics might tell you that he has a positive effect on Merchandise over and above his contract, so its actually a good use of 11m.

I remember pulling 60 months of average weather data to help determine if TFC needed a roof. You'd be surprised what teams are doing on spreadsheets that is over and above "corsi".

Contrary to popular opinion, NHL teams are not created to win. Winning is a happy by product of making money. The entertainment of sports is that everyone is hopeful and every year is a blank slate, this could be your teams year. In actuality, teams do not compete with each other, they share vast amounts of information because each one is an independent monopoly and their combined success results in more collective money for the group.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Wow, is that ever a controversial opinion....

But what do you consider "the good old times"? What era?

It depends who you ask.

People have their preference, a lot of them sentimental.

But there are certainly people who consider current product to be inferior.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
New to hockey huh? I am 56 and have been a leaf fan for 53 years. And if you don't think its cheating, go check the numbers for yourself. Its not like I am making something up. You explain how the Habs got 19 games, 1/4 of their season playing tired teams and then come tell me again about how its not cheating. That number is way to big to be a coincidence.

You must be new to sports all together if you dont think professional sports doesn't cheat. That or you are very young. The Chicago Black sox say hello.

Yeah all these kids born after 1919 don't know what the hell they're talking about! lol

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
It depends who you ask.

People have their preference, a lot of them sentimental.

But there are certainly people who consider current product to be inferior.
When I compare it to 1992-93, yes, I feel it's inferior.
When I compare it to 1989-90 and earlier, it's far superior.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The league is as boring as it’s ever been
I used to be a hockey fan, now I’m just a *my team* fan
The fact that they’ve adopted a system where you have a slim chance of playing anyone other than division opponents only in the 1st round is as dumb a rule change as any they’ve ever made. Like why would any neutral fan want to see Leafs/Bruins again again in the 1st round? Had my team (Flyers) won a Cup recently I’d be borderline done with the league. Their malaise and the drab nature of the uneventful regular season has turned me from a season ticket holder to a guy who barely considers watching the usual same teams on nbc sports. ymmv. If you love it, good for you. It used to be better. #oldmanyellsatcloud

Reactions: nofehr

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Mine is that for the most part analytics are for nerds who've never played hockey. The vast majority of podcasts, twitter people, bloggers etc who preach about analytics above all else have never played hockey in their life
I’m not a professional chef or even worked in a kitchen but I can cook a mean steak!

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Brady Skjei a top 10-20 dman in the league.

Too bad only I see it. f*** the flames could use him badly rn.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Hmm, how do you think that happened.... not a trick question

what a big stroke of luck for Gretzky I'd say .... :sarcasm:

Compared to Lemieux it was, in my controversial opinion ;) (scoring was already super high before Gretzky showed up btw).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What’s your secrets?
Buy a good cut from a butcher.
Put lots of large crystal salt and fresh cracked pepper on it (nothing else)
Cook in a hot cast iron skillet, basting with butter. If you are feeling frisky put a clove or 2 of garlic and rosemary in the skillet with the steak and butter.

Don't cook on grill.
Don't cook in oven.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
the old crease should come back and any contact with the goalie in the crease is goalie interference, anything outside is on the goalie. can even make the pads bigger if goalies arent 10 ft out to cut all angles.

Reactions: blueinbigd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad