What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Powerplay shouldn’t expire just because a team scores.

Hand passes should be allowed everywhere(just swats, you still can’t close your hand on the puck).

Face offs are overrated and have very little impact on the outcome of the game.

Refs should have to have media availability after every game.

We should put tiny cameras in players’ helmets so we can see the game from their perspective to an extent.
I agree with all of those except for the powerplay one simply due to how often referees get the calls wrong. Too big of an impact in a game potentially. After all, there are 5 minute majors still. The other ones I agree with.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
There should be added incentive to win the President's Trophy in the form of getting an advantage in the playoffs (such as hand-picking the teams they'd like to face each round). Would add more drama to the regular season, lessen cap-circumvention, etc.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Character is irrelevant.
Who cares if you're a saint if you can't skate quickly enough, if you can't process play patterns and if you can't contribute to your team winning.
No one should pay for character or leadership. Players wanting these qualities compensated should have them tied to performance bonuses and bonuses withheld if they take game-altering penalties.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Periods and games with penalty time remaining shouldn't end until the penalty time is over (end of game only occurs if the team on the powerplay can still tie or win) it breaks up the flow of a powerplay if you have 30 seconds to end a period and then 1:30 to start the next period. The extra time is taken from the next period so the period would start with 18:30 left for example. The end of game scenario exists so teams can't just mug a guy with a scoring chance and be rewarded with it. Maybe a penalty shot if a scoring chance is nullified due to the foul in the last 2 minutes of a game is also an option

Reactions: Peat

acor

Jan 13, 2012
That though I hated it at first, I've grown to like the puck over the glass penalty and hope it never gets removed.

If you're afraid of getting a penalty by accidentally throwing the puck over the glass, try making a play on the ice instead of "high and hard."

TBH, I'm a very big fan of "puck over the glass" penalty... Now people are complaining "but nobody does it intentionally"- yes, precisely because it's penalized. Otherwise I see some situations, when intentionally shooting puck over the glass would be benefitial, if only consequence would be faceoff in their own zone.

So, the best way to avoid the penalty is not shoot the puck over the glass...

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Character is irrelevant.
Who cares if you're a saint if you can't skate quickly enough, if you can't process play patterns and if you can't contribute to your team winning.
No one should pay for character or leadership. Players wanting these qualities compensated should have them tied to performance bonuses and bonuses withheld if they take game-altering penalties.

Tell that to the GM’s.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
TBH, I'm a very big fan of "puck over the glass" penalty... Now people are complaining "but nobody does it intentionally"- yes, precisely because it's penalized. Otherwise I see some situations, when intentionally shooting puck over the glass would be benefitial, if only consequence would be faceoff in their own zone.

So, the best way to avoid the penalty is not shoot the puck over the glass...
And I have to wonder if a lot of the people saying "no one is doing it intentionally" are old enough to remember when players did it intentionally all the time to stop play when they were under pressure.

Even if instead of a penalty you make it like icing where you can't make a line change, that's not enough to deter guys from throwing it over the glass all the time.

Reactions: acor

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The NHL would be better with more European coaches and GM's.

30 of 32 GM's North American, majority are ex-players. No current European coaches and only 2 since the O-6 era.

There's no way teams are getting the best candidates picking from such a small pool.
Agreed. And you could apply that to most positions in NHL franchises.

You're telling me the best scouts available happen to be former players from the team??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad