What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Mine is that for the most part analytics are for nerds who've never played hockey. The vast majority of podcasts, twitter people, bloggers etc who preach about analytics above all else have never played hockey in their life. Hiring a bunch of 30 year old nerds who never played hockey over experienced people who understand how hockey works is stupid and we’re saying that play out in the failed Toronto experiment. People who bash the “Old Boys Club” are akin to young people who bash their manager or CEO thinking if they got rid of any hierarchy and let them all equally run the show things would go better. A lot of people online think they know more than NHL GM’s who’ve spent their entire life around the league.

Last edited:

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Mine is that for the most part analytics are for nerds who've never played hockey. The vast majority of podcasts, twitter people, bloggers etc who preach about analytics above all else have never played hockey in their life
Yep...It's a way for people that don't play to feel like they are more in tune than those that did and be "part of it"...

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Mine is that for the most part analytics are for nerds who've never played hockey. The vast majority of podcasts, twitter people, bloggers etc who preach about analytics above all else have never played hockey in their life

I was never a big believer but after watching what’s it done to the leafs I can say I am a stronger hater of building a team purely on analytics. Maybe use it for certain aspect but have caution and watch the game too. Dubas ‘ recent comments about Ceci was that his analytics have been good. He’s been basically a number 5 playing in the number 2 role. He’s over his head. He’d be decent in the lower part of the lineup but has no business on the top 2 pairing. The results of the leafs really speak for themselves. Only the analytic nerds justified this team as good enough. They lack heart, and grit and balls.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
I was never a big believer but after watching what’s it done to the leafs I can say I am a stronger hater of building a team purely on analytics. Maybe use it for certain aspect but have caution and watch the game too. Dubas ‘ recent comments about Ceci was that his analytics have been good. He’s been basically a number 5 playing in the number 2 role. He’s over his head. He’s be decent in the lower part of the lineup but has no business on the top 2 pairing.
Arizona is another analytics built team. It doesn't work

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Playing the game of hockey at some **** level doesn’t make you a better hockey fan than those who never played.

Analytics are constantly ruined by the few who cherry pick and make outlandish stupid claims for attention.
You're talking to someone who has 1128 NHL games under their belt. :P
But anyway I'm talking about the uber progressive pudgy 30-something year old podcasters or twitter people who seem to think analytics are more important than the score itself, the kind of people who come up with flaming hot takes such as "According to analytics you should just give the puck away to the other team" and who constantly feel the need to bash the "old boys club" and act as if some 30 year old math nerd is more qualified than people with any sort of hockey experience.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Arizona is another analytics built team. It doesn't work

I haven’t watched much Yotes hockey. Actually I’ve cut back hockey watcher in general a lot. It’s not as entertaining to me anymore. The no hitting and no passion really sucked the life out of hockey for me.

This is the first year I won’t go out of my way to make sure I’m tuned into the leafs game. This team is a disgrace atm.

Reactions: cliffclaven

member 300185

Mine is that the NHL or scheduler is cheating to get the Canadians back into the playoffs by giving them the second game of a back to back playing the tired team 19 times. That is 1/4 of their season playing tired teams. And that is 12 more than the next which is Tampa Bay. Thats not a coincidence, its flat out cheating.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Mine is that the NHL or scheduler is cheating to get the Canadians back into the playoffs by giving them the second game of a back to back playing the tired team 19 times. That is 1/4 of their season playing tired teams. And that is 12 more than the next which is Tampa Bay. Thats not a coincidence, its flat out cheating.
You must be new to hockey then because the NHL would NEVER do anything to favour Canada or its teams lol

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Delay of game for puck over the glass and the trapezoid were the two best rule changes that came out of the 2004-05 lockout. Both penalties eliminated aspects that were ruining play in the defensive zone: skaters having a lazy escape when they're in trouble and goalies having free reign to stop to dump and chase, but being off-limits for hitting.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Modern NHL is FAR more entertaining then the "the good old times" of NHL.

As a matter of fact, the current version of NHL is as close to ideal league then we've seen in any sport, maybe ever.

Playoff seeding doesn't seem to even matter these days. President Trophy winner hasn't won the SC in 6 years and only twice in the last 17. Which league in history can you say that about?

Just compare this league to what is happening in NBA...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Playing the game of hockey at some **** level doesn’t make you a better hockey fan than those who never played.

A better one? No definitely not. But I think on some level having played the game gives someone a better understanding than those that never did. I never played football competitively and can say with certainty my friends who did see many subtleties in that game that I don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad