What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Chara should have been suspended for the rest of the season (including playoffs) for the Pacioretty hit. Not only that the Habs would have beaten the Bruins in round 1 with a healthy Max Pac.

There should be a big fat giant asterisk on the Cup next to the winner in 2011

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'll comment on this one because I've been passionate about eliminating all video reviews in all sports for a long time.

-Well, #1, I've been against it in all sports for years, so it's not some recent bad call.

-It's not an issue of "slowing the game down". I don't care if you speed up the reviews so they take 10-15 seconds. I watch sports for the excitement. The excitement comes from a goal, or a long diving catch (in football). If there is a close play in those situations, I know that we won't get an "official" ruling for 10-15 seconds or up to 3 minutes.

The fact that I have to wait for a coach to look down at the floor and make a decision on challenging, a ref to point to center ice, or watch a team scramble up quickly to the to get the next play off (in football) before I know if the exciting play will actually count, all takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I want to celebrate the big play as it happens. I can't do that right now
150% agree.

I'm at the point now where I don't even get excited after a goal. I kind of just think of a reason for it to be overturned after it went in.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Allowing a little bit of interference is good for pace of play and especially good for player safety.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
being able to ice it on a pp is counter intuitive

offsides is somewhat pointless and doing away with it might open the game up more

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the eye test is useless and anyone who puts it above analysis isn't worth listening to

Reactions: TJImbro

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'll comment on this one because I've been passionate about eliminating all video reviews in all sports for a long time.

-Well, #1, I've been against it in all sports for years, so it's not some recent bad call.

-It's not an issue of "slowing the game down". I don't care if you speed up the reviews so they take 10-15 seconds. I watch sports for the excitement. The excitement comes from a goal, or a long diving catch (in football). If there is a close play in those situations, I know that we won't get an "official" ruling for 10-15 seconds or up to 3 minutes.

The fact that I have to wait for a coach to look down at the floor and make a decision on challenging, a ref to point to center ice, or watch a team scramble up quickly to the to get the next play off (in football) before I know if the exciting play will actually count, all takes away from my enjoyment of the game. I want to celebrate the big play as it happens. I can't do that right now

Okay and that’s fine. You want to have the action right away. I would prefer it be called correctly. It’s a fine opinion to have of course, but I don’t think you can complain if a game winning call ever goes against your team.

Reactions: Trocity

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Following a clean hard hit, any player on the opposing team looking for "justice" should be immediately be ejected.

Furthermore any coach who puts goons in the lineup to take runs at players should be suspended.

Reactions: nofehr

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Any skater/goalie who successfully performs a "suicide pass", where as the teammate has no idea of an incoming hit. He is a victim of teammates trust.

That player who performed the pass should be penalized for 5 min major penalty.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well yes, seeing as their GM is an analytics guru and built the biggest analytics department in the NHL. Your argument pretty much highlights why fans and media shouldn't use them.

My point is that there's no single analytics approach to building a team. Most players that look good by one metric don't look good by another, and it's not like we just rank players by corsi and go with that, people argue about the numbers and come to different conclusions. Whatever Dubas' approach is, it's antithetical to the analytics approach I would take.

There's also plenty of people who use analytics that don't think it makes sense to build an entire team that way to begin with. It doesn't follow that a technique that helps compare players would be equally valid in building a whole team.

My own controversial opinion is that the amateur fancy stat community clings on to them because they believe them an equalizer in helping explain things they're incapable of spotting and understanding from watching play on their own.

I grew up playing in a family of professional hockey coaches, and I still play. Give me a player video and I could draw a line showing where he should be on the ice at every second. I'm also an economist and I know the value of data. Analytics doesn't replace on-ice hockey knowledge, think of it as a replacement for using boxcar stats to predict the future. Saying that a guy got 3 goals last week doesn't tell you that much about how many he'll score next week. Data is especially important in hockey because it is the most random of the team sports.

If an "expected goals stat" has a better prediction of future goal scoring than previous scoring does, that's a powerful argument all by itself. There's no need to "cling" to anything, it's just plain useful.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm at the point now where I don't even get excited after a goal. I kind of just think of a reason for it to be overturned after it went in.

Same. Every time there is a zone entry I worry there could be an offside challenge if a goal is scored

Reactions: RegDunlop

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Starting goalies in this era are interchangeable and dependent on the team in front of them. The top 15 or so goalies are essentially the same and would put up nearly identical numbers given the same situation.

Anyone who tells you there are clearly 4-5 goalies who are better than everyone else is dumb. The Vezina is the only trophy you'll ever see won by a player one year and then go 3-4 years without receiving any votes at all and then that same guy wins or comes close to winning it again. There is no Hasek today who can play on a bad team behind a bad defense and still put up elite numbers year in and year out.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I don't think it's that controversial, but you seem to get smashed for voicing it - I think Ovechkin should be ranked higher all time than Crosby.
I disagree, but mine is Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. I don't understand why his goals per game / average goals scored per game in his era doesn't show it, since it is larger than any other. (Sorry OP, that might be a slightly analyticsy opinion.)

Reactions: North Cole

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
The NHL would be much better if they went to 4 on 4 as standard.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a game finishing in a tie. Putting in the shootout in the 05-06 season was fixing a problem which didn't really exist.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yup all of my friends who never players hockey never notice the simple yet very important details. (Stick positioning, gap control, simple/affective passing, timing, effective pivoting)

They're only wow'd by fancy highlight goals or big dekes/one timers and they almost never see the value in role players.
Spot on and that's why you see all the progressive analytics crowd bash grit, teams playing veteran/character players, what they refer to as "muh intangibles". Most of these people have never stepped foot in a lockerroom

Reactions: DuckyChuck

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
The NHL should change its rules to chase after more fighting. Don't care if its so called staged fights or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad