What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
A ton of the "patriotism" in pro sports is paid for, like a sponsorship.

That's not my controversial opinion.

Mine would include:
1. Hockey can work anywhere, including the South; markets don't fail, executives do.

2. The NHL needs a lot more revenue sharing and a "everyone pays in, everyone gets the same league distribution cheque" instead of the silly Robin Hood model.
3. They need to change the focal point of the CBA from "Average revenue" to "median Revenue"

4. Geographic alignment is stupid, the MLB "Zipper" format is a lot better because the league is too big to play everyone. If you divided into two conferences, each with 4-team Smythe-Norris-Adams-Patrick divisions (but not by North/South) and played your conference and the RIVAL DIVISION 4 times each for 76 games; then half the others for 82... way better for business than this H/A vs everyone non-sense.

5. Need to start a WNHL like 10 years ago.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think this is super controversial, but delayed penalties shouldn't be satisfied by a goal scored before a change of possession. If you manage to score 6-on-5, before the defense touches the puck, that should be a pure bonus.

Seemingly my most controversial hockey opinion: Worst team should get the first pick. No lottery, no Gold Plan, no bitching about tanking. Every fan base deserves something to cheer for. Good teams should get opportunities to win the Cup. Bad teams should get good players in the draft, in the hopes that will stop them from being bad teams in the future.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
That though I hated it at first, I've grown to like the puck over the glass penalty and hope it never gets removed.

If you're afraid of getting a penalty by accidentally throwing the puck over the glass, try making a play on the ice instead of "high and hard."
why were you ever opposed to that rule? It was as no brainer from day dot.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
A ton of the "patriotism" in pro sports is paid for, like a sponsorship.

That's not my controversial opinion.

Mine would include:
1. Hockey can work anywhere, including the South; markets don't fail, executives do.

2. The NHL needs a lot more revenue sharing and a "everyone pays in, everyone gets the same league distribution cheque" instead of the silly Robin Hood model.
3. They need to change the focal point of the CBA from "Average revenue" to "median Revenue"

4. Geographic alignment is stupid, the MLB "Zipper" format is a lot better because the league is too big to play everyone. If you divided into two conferences, each with 4-team Smythe-Norris-Adams-Patrick divisions (but not by North/South) and played your conference and the RIVAL DIVISION 4 times each for 76 games; then half the others for 82... way better for business than this H/A vs everyone non-sense.

5. Need to start a WNHL like 10 years ago.

And who needs to start this league?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
why were you ever opposed to that rule? It was as no brainer from day dot.
I think for the same reason a lot of people still don't like it. It's annoying when your team gets a penalty for what's an accident.

But like I said, ultimately I came around. Make a play on the ice instead of going high and hard off the glass and you don't have to worry about an inadvertent penalty.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I think for the same reason a lot of people still don't like it. It's annoying when your team gets a penalty for what's an accident.

But like I said, ultimately I came around. Make a play on the ice instead of going high and hard off the glass and you don't have to worry about an inadvertent penalty.
Accident?? Not the word I would use. The player intentionally shoots the puck, you can't call it an accident because of the result. And if they got rid of the penalty you would go back to having a lot of players doing it on purpose which slows down the game and eliminates offense.

Is tripping an accident? guys do it all the time inadvertently.

Glad you came around, surprised to hear that anyone was ever opposed to it.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Bettman has done a great job at his actual job, which is shielding the owners from criticism, and the Board Of Governors get far too little ire from us fans for the stupid decisions they make putting $ ahead of the game.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Going to hockey/NHL games kinda sucks

Hockey is a great sport to take in live, but in most of these arenas you’re packed in like a sardine with little to no leg room, will drain your pockets if you want a few drinks and food, waiting for long bathroom lines to miss some of the game. getting home with bad traffic or packed transit can be a headache

honestly more of a hassle than enjoyment at times

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Going to hockey/NHL games kinda sucks

Hockey is a great sport to take in live, but in most of these arenas you’re packed in like a sardine with little to no leg room, will drain your pockets if you want a few drinks and food, waiting for long bathroom lines to miss some of the game. getting home with bad traffic or packed transit can be a headache

honestly more of a hassle than enjoyment at times

Out of curiosity, how many cities have you gone and seen an NHL game in?

What you are describing does not characterize my experience in most NHL cities in the slightest.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Cinderella story is overabused term in hockey... TBH, since lockout, I see excatly three cinderellas in SC finals- 2012 Devils (NOT Kings, despite being #8 seed), and Clash Of Cinderellas in 2006 final- other teams were very good teams, just some of them underachieved in RS- all of them had at least few seasons of sustained success, either prior or post their run... Ironically, there were more cinderella runs pre-2006...

And yes, this year's final also doesn't contain any cinderellas...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Accident?? Not the word I would use. The player intentionally shoots the puck, you can't call it an accident because of the result. And if they got rid of the penalty you would go back to having a lot of players doing it on purpose which slows down the game and eliminates offense.

Is tripping an accident? guys do it all the time inadvertently.

Glad you came around, surprised to hear that anyone was ever opposed to it.
Agreed. And oh yeah there's plenty of people who still hate that rule with a passion and want it gone.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
John Tortorella is the best coach in the league.

I'm serious.
He may be but I think young kids (yes some NHLers act like kids) dont take to instruction the way they did in past decades.
Young men might but not kids..(is that an unpopular opinion?) If not then....the puck is square.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Powerplay shouldn’t expire just because a team scores.

Hand passes should be allowed everywhere(just swats, you still can’t close your hand on the puck).

Face offs are overrated and have very little impact on the outcome of the game.

Refs should have to have media availability after every game.

We should put tiny cameras in players’ helmets so we can see the game from their perspective to an extent.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
The NHL would be better with more European coaches and GM's.

30 of 32 GM's North American, majority are ex-players. No current European coaches and only 2 since the O-6 era.

There's no way teams are getting the best candidates picking from such a small pool.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Regular season games are mostly dull without violence. Playoff games with violence are far more intriguing than playoff games without violence. In other words, organized violence is what made hockey better than soccer. Without it, it's worse than soccer.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Jumping in without really reading the thread... Pretty sure the first one would have probably been mentioned already... The second one, probably not?

1) The NHL should ditch the draft. Not immediately, but phase it out over the next decade or two. I think long term the sport would benefit.

2) Skaters should be allowed customized paint jobs on their helmets like goalies. Maybe limit it so predominate colour scheme of helmet would have to align with uniform.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad