What's your curve?

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Noob question. Can someone explain to me how you describe a curve? Like Lie, toe, and open or neutral it would be appreciate.

A blade can have many "curves". From a straight blade up to 3/4" (legally).

This curve can start at the heel of the blade, the middle or the toe.

The toe is the tip of the blade which can be rounded or square.

Open/closed is the amount of "loft" on the blade (think of an iron set in golf)

The lie is the angle at which the blade meets the shaft.

For example an Afinogenov blade would be 3/4" mid curve, slightly open, rounded toe, 5 lie (maybe 5.5, cant recall)

Did i get it all?

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
A blade can have many "curves". From a straight blade up to 3/4" (legally).

This curve can start at the heel of the blade, the middle or the toe.

The toe is the tip of the blade which can be rounded or square.

Open/closed is the amount of "loft" on the blade (think of an iron set in golf)

The lie is the angle at which the blade meets the shaft.

For example an Afinogenov blade would be 3/4" mid curve, slightly open, rounded toe, 5 lie (maybe 5.5, cant recall)

Did i get it all?

Thanks much appreciated.

wearethegreek

Sep 27, 2009
New Jersey
Just picked up a nasland to mess around with, retail. Anyone else have this curve and like it? Also I'm switching to 6 lie and leaving about 2" more than usual on my stick. I usually cut it so that its at my collar bone in skates.

raygunpk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Feb 5, 2008
Just picked up a nasland to mess around with, retail. Anyone else have this curve and like it? Also I'm switching to 6 lie and leaving about 2" more than usual on my stick. I usually cut it so that its at my collar bone in skates.

I use this, it's a decent curve..it's come a long way since being a Sakic clone and it's now in a class of it's own. I have it on the One95 and it's like a ladle with some crazy loft. You really gotta focus on cupping the puck when you shoot or it will go way over the net.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com

I use this, it's a decent curve..it's come a long way since being a Sakic clone and it's now in a class of it's own. I have it on the One95 and it's like a ladle with some crazy loft. You really gotta focus on cupping the puck when you shoot or it will go way over the net.
i have a couple of them (now the Backstrom), i love it, you can go top shelf real nice with it. I never notice how deep the curve was until i really compared it to some others. It's got some hook to it.
I haven't had any issues with sailing over the net, but in close you can really scoop it up.
Backhand are a little tricky to lift since it is more of a toe curve, so you have to rely more on the heel and mid heel to lift it from the back.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Used to always use the Neely till he retired. The closest I could find is the Spezza (Sherwood)

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
switched to a cheap composite after using wood for decades.
have ccm vector sticks with a thornton curve; probably the biggest curve i've used ,as i usually have gone with sticks with very little curve. i like them so far, except for one thing: the ends of the blades seem to be chipping away.

for goalie: use sticks with no curve (sherwood 950 s.o.p.). getting to be much harder to find an adult sized goalie stick with no curve. luckily when i broke my last straight one, found a 3 packs of these (ebay?, goaliestore.com bulletin board?, i forget). i shoot right and catch left, so that's part of the reason i want no curve; the other reasons are the fact that i like a flat surface to stop the puck, and my puck handling skills with any goalie stick are poor.

eberleclone

Dec 8, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Brad Boyes - Mission

even though these are now impossible to find. Ive also used a prostock blade from the oilers that was similiar to ryan smyth's, only in a right handed version. Would anyone know where to find any of the above curves?

raygunpk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Feb 5, 2008
Brad Boyes - Mission

even though these are now impossible to find. Ive also used a prostock blade from the oilers that was similiar to ryan smyth's, only in a right handed version. Would anyone know where to find any of the above curves?

Boyes should be similar to the Zetterberg/Malkin/Fedorov Class.

wearethegreek

Sep 27, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks raygun and jrz devil!

You're right it is a nasty hook and I can really whip wristers quickly off toe drags...its also a toe drag machine. You were right it is actually a backstrom but it's P92 I always knew it as naslund. Perfect for shovel wristers around the net!

raygunpk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Feb 5, 2008
Yeah it's a great curve if you can get used to it, I still have trouble sometimes keeping shots from fluttering because it's so open.
Most of the Bauer curves were renamed if you look on the Bauer ID site.

eberleclone

Dec 8, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Boyes should be similar to the Zetterberg/Malkin/Fedorov Class.

The Boyes curve has less loft and curve. It is the straightest curve that was available in retail. I am using both a malkin and fedorov curve at the moment and i find they are still a little to much for me. I prefer as little curve as possible without going to a sherwood straight blade.

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
I been using Sakic for the last two years but am contemplating a change to Forsberg.

It was nice to be able to shoot high so effortlessly in the beginning and the stickhandling was really easy with such a long blade, but right now too many of my shots are just sailing over the cross bar and hitting the glass. Backhands are also tricky unless you really focus on it. It's also very difficult for me to shoot the puck about 3 feet off the ice which would be real nice on the blocker side. I also wish it had more of a heel curve because I'm shanking a lot of one-timer snap and slap shot chances off the heel.

Can a Forsberg owner out there comment on its pros and cons?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Pros - very predictable in terms of shooting, passing, backhands, etc

Cons - lack of curve means little zip on wrist shots, requires a lot of strength and the right flex/stick to get power behind shots

Personally I prefer a bigger closed mid curve, but it's all PP.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Thanks raygun and jrz devil!

You're right it is a nasty hook and I can really whip wristers quickly off toe drags...its also a toe drag machine. You were right it is actually a backstrom but it's P92 I always knew it as naslund. Perfect for shovel wristers around the net!
Thats what we're here for!:)

Yeah it's a great curve if you can get used to it, I still have trouble sometimes keeping shots from fluttering because it's so open.
Most of the Bauer curves were renamed if you look on the Bauer ID site.
I was never picky about sticks or blades, I always figured i'd get used to whatever i had since i grew up with hand me downs. And I did, then i came across the P92 because the price was right on the XVI and liked it from the get go. It only took me 25 years to find the right curve/lie/face etc.....

raygunpk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Feb 5, 2008
Thats what we're here for!:)

I was never picky about sticks or blades, I always figured i'd get used to whatever i had since i grew up with hand me downs. And I did, then i came across the P92 because the price was right on the XVI and liked it from the get go. It only took me 25 years to find the right curve/lie/face etc.....

That's awesome to finally get it. I still haven't found the right one and I've tried soo many...

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I like a fairly straight curve, because I'm pretty much Crosby and can do all kinds of sick **** on the backhand.

At least I like to think I can. :(

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Im using Crosby's new curve right now.. I really like it actually, it's pretty close to the Sakic curve.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
I use the Malkin curve... love it. The backhanders are truly amazing with this pattern.

Like a year ago, I switched to Naslund but it was horrendous. My wrist shots would sail high and wide, my backhander was nonexistent, and I had trouble catching passes. I quickly went back to using the Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad