What's wrong with Ryan Johansen?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
#1C's score 55+ pts. year. There are always other ways to evaluate players than points scored, but in general, a 60 pt. C is a #1C.

Damn... I actually meant a second line forward. He's outside of the top 93 in points. Of course, some defenseman are in there as well. He's basically scoring at a poor first line or a very good second line rate.

But yes, there's more to hockey than points.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He looked so lethal when he scored 30+, I was sure he'd be consistent at it. He was a force in the offensive zone. He seemed much more aggressive than when I see him now. He's still good, just different good.

I don't watch too much Nashville though, so I could be off.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
He's fine, guy is a Number 1 center, Nashville has never had one EVER so they paid him. A paid Num 1 center is a Happy Num 1 center. If I waited 20 years for a Num 1 center and NEVER had one I would have paid more than Nashville did. You don't get them unless you draft them and they usually go in the top five.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
I was wondering about himself. He's basically producing like a good second line C. He looked like he was going to very good some time back.

27 centers had 56+ points last season, and NHL.com lists players like Nylander, Marner and Coyle as centers. Only teams having two actual centers above that were TOR, WSH, PIT and MIN.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Last 2 starts to the season he’s been very slow out of the gates. I think both times it took him like 15 games to score his 1st goal and he didn’t rack up that many assists either.

With him a lot of it seems to be mental, he’s got the talent for 70+ pts but the work and determination isn’t always there. That goes for his lack of scoring too, he’s taken the option to be more of a passer.

Johansen is not worth 8M but to Poile he was. He spent so many years trying to get a top 6 C and when he finally got him he wasn’t going to let him go.

As the cap goes up his contract will look less bad.

Im interested to see if he can replicate his playoff performance, now that everyone are expecting it. I don’t see why he wouldn’t though. Good thing about underachieving in the regular season is you have room to get better in the playoffs. When you have to win every game and the crowd is rocking he’ll play more aggressive.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I can't imagine finding a Preds fan who wouldn't make that deal again. Just because he doesn't score goals doesn't mean he wasn't worth it.

Really? If i'm a preds fan, I would have wished they had flipped one of their other 4 1st pairing Dman for Johansen.

Jones is younger than all of them, and could be better than all of them in a couple years.

Reactions: GODreau13

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
He looked so lethal when he scored 30+, I was sure he'd be consistent at it. He was a force in the offensive zone. He seemed much more aggressive than when I see him now. He's still good, just different good.

I don't watch too much Nashville though, so I could be off.
I think because of the system Nashville plays and how often the backend jump up in the play, Johansen (and really all the forwards) have had to be more cognizant of the defensive responsibilities. I think this plays a big part in him becoming more of a playmaker and less of a goal scorer type center.
With two wingers who shoot the puck as much as Arvidsson and Forsberg do (also Josi shoots high volumes), Johansen doesn't feel the need to take as many shots (although he has a great shot). So far he's been worth that contract to the Preds.

Reactions: triggrman

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Really? If i'm a preds fan, I would have wished they had flipped one of their other 4 1st pairing Dman for Johansen.

Jones is younger than all of them, and could be better than all of them in a couple years.
CBJ was looking for youth at the time.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
With a goal just now,

Seth Jones now has more goals (10) than Joey (9).
And? People fail to understand that Jones was wasted on this team and still would be wasted on this team. We have 4 Dmen that are just as good, but what we didn't have was a top center. Whether it was Jones or one of the other 4, we would be in the same place.

We've had this talk on the Preds boards, lots of people call it lazy, I call it a lack of motivation. Would I love him to play hard every game like Arvy? Sure, has it mattered? Not really.

You don't win the Cup in November and December, and I think for him that is where the problem lies. Add that on top of a pretty rough injury and it happens.

Having players with a ton of trade value is great, but trade value doesn't win you a Cup. We make that trade every day and twice on Sunday again, and I doubt Poile would say any different.

At least he knows he hasn't been shooting enough and has started trying to change that, and his game as of late has shown that.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Might also be important to point out that Johansen is 6th in FO % among those with at least 500 draws.

Overall, he's 15th in draws and 10th in wins.

That's kind of an important statistic for centers. I'm sure Forsberg and Arvidsson have noticed.

Reactions: PerdFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad