What's wrong with Ryan Johansen?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
He was over rated and over paid. But really its only by a couple million so its not the end of the world. Just dont expect him to be a dominant first line guy all the time or you will be dissapointed. Besides if he is good during the regular season and then great in the playoffs its not the worst scenario.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
No they are not. Not sure what happened to his goal scoring ability, he used to be pretty decent at it.
He's basically completely stopped shooting. He used to shoot well over 2 times per game, and 200+ times in a season when he was a good goalscorer. Now a 2 shot game is somewhat of a rarity. He doesn't even have 100 shots yet this season.

I suppose he plays with Forsberg and Arvidsson now, who are both goalscorers and also volume shooters when compared to who he played with when he shot and scored a lot in Columbus (Hartnell, Foligno, and Umbeger).

But still, it's not like like he's playing with a guy like Ovechkin who shoots at extreme quantities, Johansen should still have ability to shoot and score more than he is.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
he refuses to shoot right now, its weird to watch. He has a good shot but he WONT use it

CocoCrisp

Feb 22, 2018
I suspect Nashville's system is conducive to keeping production down in favour of defence much as the Islanders is the opposite.

I find it hard to believe a Peter Laviolette coached team plays that way. Has he really changed that much as a coach?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was wondering about himself. He's basically producing like a good second line C. He looked like he was going to very good some time back.
#1C's score 55+ pts. year. There are always other ways to evaluate players than points scored, but in general, a 60 pt. C is a #1C.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He's an extremely talented and effective player with some character issues that may or may not prevent him from being elite.

Reactions: Jovavic

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I find it hard to believe a Peter Laviolette coached team plays that way. Has he really changed that much as a coach?

I'm not an expert, not a team I see much but their leading scoring is a Defenseman and a winger is their top ppg player. Their centres do not seem to score much which is unusual. Maybe it's system? Maybe it's just using their strengths?

CocoCrisp

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not an expert, not a team I see much but their leading scoring is a Defenseman and a winger is their top ppg player. Their centres do not seem to score much which is unusual. Maybe it's system? Maybe it's just using their strengths?

I'm not really an expert either although Laviolette is not known for a defensive style. I think it more speaks to Nashville having an all world defence than anything else.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Our system offensively isn't fed through the centers, our is generated through the defense. Our centers are play makers and have to be responsible defensively. It's why we can lead the league in goals from a defensemen and not give up a ton of goals.

Johansson has centered 30 goal wingers in back to back seasons and likely would have again this season had Forsberg not missed so much.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Our system offensively isn't fed through the centers, our is generated through the defense. Our centers are play makers and have to be responsible defensively. It's why we can lead the league in goals from a defensemen and not give up a ton of goals.

Johansson has centered 30 goal wingers in back to back seasons and likely would have again this season had Forsberg not missed so much.
Makes sense.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I can't imagine finding a Preds fan who wouldn't make that deal again. Just because he doesn't score goals doesn't mean he wasn't worth it.

I don't care what fans think

Seth Jones is trending towards Hedman-like status and that has noticeably more value than what Johansen provides

Factor in their age and respective cap hits, and I would think most Preds fans should be crying themselves to sleep each night

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
he's always idolized Joe Thronton and Spezza. He's trying to be them instead of Ryan Johansen. He's got 33 goals and 27 goals under his belt in his past. No clue why he won't use it. Being a passer is fine, but not shooting isn't.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Factor in their age and respective cap hits, and any knowledgeable Preds fan is crying themselves to sleep each night

Factor in that they're a top 5 team in the league, fresh off a Stanley Cup Finals appearance, with the best top 4 defense in the league without Jones and I think Preds fans are sleeping just fine every night.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Could it be that having your whole leg opened up could have an impact ?

He had a pretty serious injury that needed a fasciotomy. Hell be better next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Could it be that having your whole leg opened up could have an impact ?

He had a pretty serious injury that needed a fasciotomy. Hell be better next year.
For 2 straight seasons before the injury he was also scoring 14G and 60P. Injury isn't an excuse.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Yes, injury is an excuse, even for players with "reputations".
He's a consistent barely 15G 60P center without the injury. He's even worse now but paying someone 8mill who's non injury influenced seasons produce numbers similar to RNH is pretty bad..

Again he's also only had one good playoffs (last year) so he's not some playoff god.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't care what fans think

Seth Jones is trending towards Hedman-like status and that has noticeably more value than what Johansen provides

Factor in their age and respective cap hits, and any knowledgeable Preds fan is crying themselves to sleep each night
I don't think a single fan I know would not make it that trade again.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's a consistent barely 15G 60P center without the injury. He's even worse now but paying someone 8mill who's non injury influenced seasons produce numbers similar to RNH is pretty bad..

Again he's also only had one good playoffs (last year) so he's not some playoff god.

He was good with Columbus and against SJ, too.

Hopkins has never had a 60 point season. Johansen hasn't been under 60 in 5 years.

8M$ is the price to pay for a 6'3" 60 point number 1 center who can carry an offense to the cup finals.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
He was good with Columbus and against SJ, too.

Hopkins has never had a 60 point season. Johansen hasn't been under 60 in 5 years.

8M$ is the price to pay for a 6'3" 60 point number 1 center who can carry an offense to the cup finals.
Forsberg and their 4 top pairing defenseman were carrying the offense though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad