What's wrong with Ryan Johansen?

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
What does that thread have to do with McDavid? Geez [mod]
Because one poster using only basic stats as arguments has a mindset that points are the only thing the salaries are based on and ignores all the other factors pointed out. He has named himself after McDavid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He will be judged by the Playoffs. Nash doesnt need him to do anymore than he is at the moment.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It's weird to ask what's wrong with a player and then follow it up with stats showing he's on pace for almost exactly the same point total as the previous two seasons.

Reactions: myFialabot

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Is he a top line centre tho?
He was a definitely an elite center in last year's playoffs, on both sides of the puck.

But yes, he is VERY frustrating to watch in the regular season, and it really appears his heart isn't in at at times (too many times for comfort).

As a Preds fan, it is uneasy to sit, wait and hope he ramps it up come playoff time. We'll see what happen this year.

That being said, we don't miss Jones a lick. Now, we could miss his perceived trade value, but no top tier young center has been traded since Johanssen was traded (unless you want to count Duchene).

I'd be all about going after Tavares in the offseason, and flipping Johansen for young assets.

Reactions: Marner

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Why?

He's the best center we've ever had, scores at a .75 rate, centers two 60 point wingers, is good defensively and is a beast in the playoffs. We've waited 20 years to get a no.1 center under 35, I'd gladly trade Seth Jones every day of the week and sign Johansen to a Toews-esque contract and still be ok with it.

Just because he's not an elite center like a Malkin or Crosby does not mean it was a bad deal for Nashville, or that Johansen's a bad player. You just lack context.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Why?

He's the best center we've ever had, scores at a .75 rate, centers two 60 point wingers, is good defensively and is a beast in the playoffs. We've waited 20 years to get a no.1 center under 35, I'd gladly trade Seth Jones every day of the week and sign Johansen to a Toews-esque contract and still be ok with it.

Just because he's not an elite center like a Malkin or Crosby does not mean it was a bad deal for Nashville, or that Johansen's a bad player. You just lack context.
Not the worst trade ever but looking back they certainly could have done better. You can't win every trade however.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Why?

Literally had one good playoff run but was invisible the playoffs before..

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Not the worst trade ever but looking back they certainly could have done better. You can't win every trade however.

What options were there? From what I can remember RNH was the only "no.1" center available besides Johansen and I'd take Johansen over RNH any day of the weak. I'd say the deal was equal, like the Iginla for Nieuwendyk deal.

Literally had one good playoff run but was invisible the playoffs before..

Ok, and in that one good playoff run he was our best player and we went to the finals. Does it bother me that he's not a regular season guy? sure, but he's still among the top scorers on one of the best teams in the league and has shown he has an extra gear here.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
There are fair criticisms of Joey:

- He is slightly overpaid.
- He tries to hard to be a playmaker which hurts his goals and overall points stat lines
- His effort game to game in the regular season leaves much to be desired at times
- He isn't producing at the level expected this year.

Ultimately, he will be judged my his playoff performance. He proved last year a motivated Joey is a dominant Joey. I think there would likely be more push back from the fan base if the team wasn't so deep up front and others weren't filling in offensively. But for now everything is gravy.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Why?

It's about value, not context

When you factor in age + cap hit, Jones has considerably more value than Johansen

It reminds me of the Chelios for Savard trade. Yes, Savard had some productive seasons and the Habs won the Cup, but in hindsight, it's looked at as one of the worst trades in NHL history

So give it another decade or so and let's see how you feel about things then

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

When you factor in age + cap hit, Jones has considerably more value than Johansen

It reminds me of the Chelios for Savard trade. Yes, Savard had some productive seasons and the Habs won the Cup, but in hindsight, it's looked at as one of the worst trades in NHL history

In another decade Johansen will most likely have the most points by a center for the Preds franchise, so I don't know if that really works out for your argument. Just because Jones had more value then and a hell of a lot more value now doesn't take away the fact that Johansen is valuable for Nashville.

I'm sure I'd feel the same way I do now, unless we won the cup in which case I'd feel even better.

Reactions: myFialabot

zhok

Feb 10, 2018

McDavid or Stamkos weren't available for Jones. Which top center could the Preds have traded Jones for instead? Duchene?

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

Seems to be working out well for Nashville so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad