Player Discussion What's wrong with Petey ?

What is wrong with elias pettersson ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Bit worried about this...

Just curious why? Everyone is concerned with the tweet but what is the hidden meaning? He thinks his current agent is not doing enough with negotiations? People are worried he is going to ask for more cash? People are worried this means he wants out? Generally wondering what people are thinking reading this tweet, could be a million things.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Just curious why? Everyone is concerned with the tweet but what is the hidden meaning? He thinks his current agent is not doing enough with negotiations? People are worried he is going to ask for more cash? People are worried this means he wants out? Generally wondering what people are thinking reading this tweet, could be a million things.
People overreacting for no reason. He’s with a no name agent at the moment, it’s not surprising he’s leaving the dude. I’m guessing people are scared he randomly all of a sudden wants out lol.

Reactions: geebaan

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
if there's one guy on this team who's smart and ambitious enough to force his way off this sinking ship to a club that's actually trying to win it's pettersson. I hope he does it! This franchise does not deserve him, at all.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

In some ways, his is as per the norm. Obviously was not with a high profile agent.

The concern is the timing and circumstances of this move. You usually expect this before the season begins, not amidst a frustrating period where the guy looks frustrated and dejected.

Depending how badly this team tanks and which agent he gets...it may end horribly for the franchise.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Ok then look at almost any other good team, tampa was just an example, forwards dont play this deep on other teams as green has our forwards play. Washington was no different today and they dont have the best goalie in the league.

Markstrom i think would have kept us in more games then our current goaltending has, im not blaming goaltending though.

This is getting way off topic, it was about petterssons offensive production and challenges hes facing, not whats wrong with our D.
I think it is just confidence. The goal he scored last night will go a long way towards getting back on track.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think it is just confidence. The goal he scored last night will go a long way towards getting back on track.

Could definitely be part of it, he is not shooting the puck as often as well, although he did start shooting more last game. In playoffs when he had a moment it was almost guaranteed going top shelf in the net, he had been passing up those shots and distributing the puck in prior games instead of taking that shot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson plays well when he moves his feet at ES and is hungry to get the puck and make things happen at both ends of the rink.

He's gotten in funks like this before where he stops skating and starts standing around waiting for the puck to come to him instead of going and getting it.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
if there's one guy on this team who's smart and ambitious enough to force his way off this sinking ship to a club that's actually trying to win it's pettersson. I hope he does it! This franchise does not deserve him, at all.

I would understand this statement if Pettersson was lighting it up and the team was still losing... but he’s not.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not really sure what to make of the agent swap yet. Might be something, might not be.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
"oh i am coming off my rookie contract and would like to get better representation in order to set myself up in a good position to make a lot of money"

is what you make of it.

Probably. But he was eligible for an extension this last off-season, so why not do it before then if this was the plan?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Benning up against Brisson and JP Berry.

Boys are going to force Benning into a corner and get paid.

Petey and Quinn have leverage now.

Brisson and Berry don't f*** around.

Money is good and all but what's the point in being the highest paid player on a team full of age gappers and plumbers?

RFA negotiations are gonna be really interesting. Especially considering the stealth tank they're currently on right now.

:popcorn:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Probably. But he was eligible for an extension this last off-season, so why not do it before then if this was the plan?
Because they decided to take a wait-and-see approach after management strip mined our defense in the off-season and wait-and-see has resulted in a big steaming corny turd of a hockey team?

And if so, this maneuver is called "circling the wagons".

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
...ah the old "hidden injury" excuse which seems to be reserved only for favorite son type players. You will never hear about, say, Roussel or Sutter nursing a "hidden injury" on this board...

Hidden Sutter injury? Brandon has his surgeon on speed dial and his patient information tattooed on his arm, there is a very good reason you'll never hear about a "hidden" Sutter injury.

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
...ah the old "hidden injury" excuse which seems to be reserved only for favorite son type players. You will never hear about, say, Roussel or Sutter nursing a "hidden injury" on this board...

?? Really?

A highly skilled player who all of a sudden loses it vs a player who fans unanimously agree is a poor player, playing a bit more poor?

The injury "excuse" is saved for players who out of nowhere "lose it".. "temporarily", whose injuries are actually worth noting

As was the case with Boeser and Horvat from a season or two ago. Beagle and Sutter do play through injuries. However the difference isn't stark because they don't have a high ceiling and are not finesse players

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I hate it when he sets his hands, counts 3 Mississippi's before shooting. Hes gotta get it off the stick quicker.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I haven't seen a player rattled like this in awhile, literally falling over his own feet, can't stick handle, hesitating on his wrist shots. Confidence is shot and guys are on him like glue this year. Needs a big multi-point game to get the confidence going, along with a win of course..

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Oh good. The chicken littles are out in force.

Some people on these boards seem to be genuine masochists, so obsessed with sticking with their old takes that they want things to go badly. We have one of the best young centers in the league, "I hope he goes somewhere else bcuz were bad lol". So...go be a fan of another team then. If an Oiler fan said this I wouldn't bat an eye. You're not a Canucks fan.

Look, the truth is that the rebuild sputtered for a couple of years and Benning completely misread the league. The 2016 world cup was a zeitgeist shift, the speed and skill ramped up exponentially with the success of the young North American team with McDavid, Matthews, etc. Benning misread this, he signed Eriksson, Gudbranson, traded for Sutter. It was bad.

So then, he brought in some vets to just hold the line psychologically. Beagle would have been okayish at 3 years and 2.5, I liked the Roussel deal and think it would have been fine if he hadn't had his knee obliterated.

Gagner and Del Zotta were rubbish signings. But this was all just to maintain some sort of veteran accountability. You can't just 'let the kids play' or you end up with a toxic culture of entitlement like Buffalo or Edmonton have had for the last decade.

Then, suddenly, we hit on some picks and the rebuild was over before it was supposed to be (not from the perspective one would have had in 2014 of course, but the perspective that one would have had in 2017 in May).

So then we felt an impetus to do something while Petey and Hughes were on entry level deals, but it wasn't technically our window and it still isn't. Our real window starts in 2 years. I hope we are successful before then, but the detritus contracts, the Spooner buy-out, the punitive Luongo bullshit all is over by then.

Letting Markstrom and Tanev go was a difficult decision but it was the right one for financial/age reasons.

But it cut a huge swath through our dressing room. Suddenly the kids are being leaned on.

Hughes is a small, offensive defence man. He's really really good defensively all things considered (given his size, and offensive pedigree), but he's still a young kid trying to defend against the best and biggest forwards in the league. Guess what suddenly he's our number 1 Dman. And not just in terms of play, like the expectation is that he has to be one of our top 3 players every night, while shutting down the other team's best players, or we won't win.

A lot of people on these boards have never played hockey at any competitive level. They tell themselves that it doesn't matter in terms of the quality of their takes, but it does. A hockey team is different than a basketball team, you are as good as your capabilities versus the position you are slotted into. If Hughes was on Colorado or Tampa, there would be no slump.

This is true for Petey too, it's one thing to be a slick player that other teams haven't seen before, hidden on a bad team that nobody gets up for. It's different when you're the superstar forward on a team that fired a shot over the bows of the rest of the teams last playoffs. A team that has lost depth, lost leadership, lost identity.

What a lot of people don't seem to really realize, is that NHL teams values range from 1.7 Billion or so, to about 350 million.
This means that if you are an established star on a team, there are 30 other giant corporations that are using all of their resources to figure out how to shut you down. They have some of the best 700 people at this sport on the planet, they have video guys analyzing frame by frame looking for tendencies, they have analytics guys looking for patterns, trying to find an edge.

These are kids. 21 and 22. It's a lot to take on and there will be hiccups. It's okay, they'll figure it out.

It's possible that this year will be a lost one, I still won't be worried about our overall outlook. Our window opens in earnest in 22-23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad