Player Discussion What's wrong with Petey ?

What is wrong with elias pettersson ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
PLD is now in the same city as his parents. Maybe for once a player a high profile Canadian hockey player just wasn't happy living in America?
It’s possible. But it doubt it. Playing in Columbus for Torts would be about as bad as it gets

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
PLD is now in the same city as his parents. Maybe for once a player a high profile Canadian hockey player just wasn't happy living in America?

Nah, I like the imaginary narrative that they both got shafted, and soon will be Canucks. Or Canadiens. Or Leafs. Or Who ever is repeating this cheers for.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Where's the leverage? Pettersson is producing like he wants to get paid like a 4th liner, and in a contract year that will see him become a RESTRICTED free agent. If he continues his current trajectory he's on pace for 16 points (23 on an 82 game season). Even if he improves marginally and finishes the season at less 0.5 points per game he doesn't earn himself much money or leverage. The kid literally needs to score at a 0.92 point per game pace just to crack 45 points this year. That's his career scoring pace by the way. If he does that he will end with 47 points, good for 0.84 per game. That's a decent step back.

Pete can always sit out, go to Sweden, play for his SHL team etc.
Pete is the franchise. You pay him to keep him happy. Jim has been losey gosey with money for crap players for years, this is not the time to play hard ball. You want to build a good relationship with your franchise player.

I think there will be a lot of disappointed people who expected QH's and Petey's contracts to be some sweetheart deals ala McKinnon.

The comparables for Pete are Eichel & Marner, Pasta and maybe Nylander. So think between 7 - 10 mil per.

Quinn does not really have comparables. That is how good he is. That should say enough.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Pete can always sit out, go to Sweden, play for his SHL team etc.
Pete is the franchise. You pay him to keep him happy. Jim has been losey gosey with money for crap players for years, this is not the time to play hard ball. You want to build a good relationship with your franchise player.

I think there will be a lot of disappointed people who expected QH's and Petey's contracts to be some sweetheart deals ala McKinnon.

The comparables for Pete are Eichel & Marner, Pasta and maybe Nylander. So think between 7 - 10 mil per.

Quinn does not really have comparables. That is how good he is. That should say enough.

Eichel is overpaid. Buffalo's GM is an asshat. Draisaitl's $8.5m is the value that Eichel should have gotten.

Marner got what he got because Dubas was an idiot and underestimated him, he broke out in his contract year. Pettersson is doing the exact opposite.

I'd say that Pasta and Nylander are good comparisons to Pettersson at this time. Better still perhaps is Mathew Barzal?

Right now, short-term, $7m is the max that Benning should go on Pettersson. Bridge him through the flat cap and see what he does. If he returns to 1.0 point per game or better for the balance of this season then you can look at more. But we're 8 games into the season, he has 2 points, piles of bad reads and decisions, and the guy hasn't shown any signs of righting his ship. This could turn on a dime and one breakout game is all it will take.

I don't expect Vancouver to play old-school hardball with either of them, I also don't think it will be a quick negotiation.

Either way, I don't think these kids have much in terms of "leverage".

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad