Player Discussion What's wrong with Petey ?

What is wrong with elias pettersson ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
DISCUSS

From : https://thehockeywriters.com/travis-green-vancouver-canucks-pettersson/
Pettersson’s Struggle

Pettersson has had a slow start to the 2020-21 season, as he has registered one point (an assist) in six games. In Thursday night’s game, the 2017 first-round pick had a turnover on the power play while trying to make a cross-ice pass on the blueline to Brock Boeser. The pass was picked off by Joel Armia, who then sent Tyler Toffoli on a breakaway. Toffoli scored his fifth goal in two games against the Canucks to give the Canadiens a 3-2 lead.
Green believes the turnover doesn’t describe Pettersson’s game so far this season and said he thought the forward played well in Wednesday night’s matchup against the Canadiens. Pettersson is now in his third season and is expected to take the next step in his progression. Instead, Canucks’ fans are waiting on the forward to score his first goal seven games into the season.

Green added he thought no one on the club had a good game. Captain Bo Horvat scored two goals in the first period on Thursday to tie the game twice, when the Canucks were down 1-0 and 2-1. The Canucks seemed to fall apart after Toffoli’s short-handed goal, as Montreal scored four goals in the second period and then added another in the third period.
As for the Canucks, only two players finished with a Corsi For percentage (CF%) above 50. Pettersson finished with a 57.14 CF% but only played 6.55 minutes of 5-on-5 hockey, and Jalen Chatfield finished with a 75 CF% but only played 1:15 of 5-on-5 hockey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nothing is wrong with Pettersson. He's in a normal slump of the sort that happens to every player at some point ever year, but when it happens right at the start of the year people panic. Same with Sebastian Aho and Bo Horvat last year. If he'd scored 22 points in the first 20 games and then had a stretch like this, people wouldn't think a thing about it other than 'Pettersson is having a bad week and needs to play better'.

He was a point-per-game player in the playoffs like 3 months ago. This is a total non-story.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Hopefully just a slump but his numbers vs Canadian teams were horrible last season as well for some unknown reason. Really strange considering how weak defensively they all are

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Mix of slow start plus a different offseason routine not going back to Sweden to see family and work with his regular trainer. Mix that with that he's been a bit snakebitten, Petey is a competitive guy and I think not producing gets him in more of a funk than it should. I think once he breaks that slump he'll explode back to Petey form

He's been too good for two straight seasons for this to be a norm, let's not panic. Hope he figures it out quickly though in a shortened season, a run of 10+ games in a slump could be killer for our season

Reactions: HockeyWooot

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I think another option that needs to be added is pressure/expectations. The last two years this team didn’t really have much expectations as opposed to this year. A lot of fans had big expectations from this team after last years run, but after losing some key guys that pressure is added on to the young guns like Petey and Hughes.

Pettersson so far in his NHL career hasn’t faced much adversity, and although it is concerning I have no doubt he’ll overcome it.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Nothing is wrong with Pettersson. He's in a normal slump of the sort that happens to every player at some point ever year, but when it happens right at the start of the year people panic. Same with Sebastian Aho and Bo Horvat last year. If he'd scored 22 points in the first 20 games and then had a stretch like this, people wouldn't think a thing about it other than 'Pettersson is having a bad week and needs to play better'.

He was a point-per-game player in the playoffs like 3 months ago. This is a total non-story.
If you aren’t watching the games and purely stat watching then yes I’d agree

Reactions: BAM and m9

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
bnzhn3gm5bd61.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you aren’t watching the games and purely stat watching then yes I’d agree

I've watched every minute.

He's struggling. It happens. He had an absolutely shit stretch last year where he had something like 1 ES point in 11 games, too. And was playing similarly, but a few PP one-timers went in and he picked up a couple 2nd assists on the PP.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He immediately picked up his quality of play after that tip-in goal. Was way more confident in his puckhandling and was skating with more purpose. 100% this was just a standard slump.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He looked much better last night. Still not right but that goal will do a world of good. It lifted the whole team and then Hughes gifted the 3rd goal and let the air out of them.

I noticed small improvements. Quicker movements. Creative ideas (that didn’t come off), shooting mentality.

Obviously the Bambi at the blueline gifting another breakaway was glaring but his game looked better overall as did the teams until late.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's simple really, He's trying to do too much. He wants to put this team on his back and carry it forward. The problem is he's only 22.

If the Canucks had a single veteran--other than maybe Miller-- who could pick him up now and again, it wouldn't be nearly as big a problem.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
...ah the old "hidden injury" excuse which seems to be reserved only for favorite son type players. You will never hear about, say, Roussel or Sutter nursing a "hidden injury" on this board...

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
We also only have one complete scoring line. It would be pretty easy to get the favorable matchups on Pettersson. We really need a top 6 forward to balance the top two lines and have any shot at legitimacy this year.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
He looks like how alot of ignorant people said he would look upon coming from the Shl to NHL. Slow and weak with the puck. I also noticed that the Canadians always had a shadow on him wherever and whenever he entered the neutral zone. Guys like Gallagher were always on his ass whether he had the puck or not, hounding him. This happened last year too, but he seems to have no confidence right now.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It's simple really, He's trying to do too much. He wants to put this team on his back and carry it forward. The problem is he's only 22.

If the Canucks had a single veteran--other than maybe Miller-- who could pick him up now and again, it wouldn't be nearly as big a problem.

It's psychological.

There is noone in the Canucks organization that can honestly tell EP40 and QH43 that everything is going to be ok.

That Tyler Myers is gonna be a solid top 4 d-man and Demko is gonna be a solid 1G and Jake is eventually going to figure it out and Pearson is gonna be a productive top 6 player and etc etc etc

Nobody f***ing knows right now and that is both scary and depressing. Especially considering what they accomplished last season. They went from really really high to really really low in a very short amount of time.

And there's nobody to blame at Petey's level.

By default, Bo should be that guy but Bo knows, more than anyone on this roster except for Edler, that it really doesn't matter how hard he tries or doesn't try when management-ownership pulls the rug from under their feet every single f***ing time without fail.

Ok. I acknowledge that this post here IS doom and gloom and I sincerely apologize for it.

But the team I saw play against the Habs wasn't a team at all... more like a defeated collection of individuals all probably wondering wtf they personally did to deserve this hell.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Pettersson was so so good in his first year. I think he misses his buddy Goldobin...

I still swear green the last two season has his forwards way to deep in the defensive zone compared to other teams and it hurts our offense 5 on 5, we have no breakout then, no transition, and a poor forecheck with often 1 guy in alone, leading to little sustained offensive zone pressure 5 on 5.

Watching tampa yesterday the forwards play higher in the defensive zone, the center plays midway, and the minute the D gets the puck they are looking to transition up ice, thats how most normal good teams play. But with green our forwards are way down close to the Defense. Yes our defense sucks and forwards need to help, but this happened even last season, players are going to struggle to produce 5 on 5 playing like that. I also maintain it hurts our D players like schmidt and hughes who then dont have many outlet pass options.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I still swear green the last two season has his forwards way to deep in the defensive zone compared to other teams and it hurts our offense 5 on 5, we have no breakout then, no transition, and a poor forecheck with often 1 guy in alone, leading to little sustained offensive zone pressure 5 on 5.

Watching tampa yesterday the forwards play higher in the defensive zone, the center plays midway, and the minute the D gets the puck they are looking to transition up ice, thats how most normal good teams play. But with green our forwards are way down close to the Defense. Yes our defense sucks and forwards need to help, but this happened even last season, players are going to struggle to produce 5 on 5 playing like that. I also maintain it hurts our D players like schmidt and hughes who then dont have many outlet pass options.
Tampa also has the best goalie in the league right now.
Even with Markstrom our poorly play would lead to a 2-5 start. Our issue is giving up breakaways, not covering g for our D, not taking the man going to the net, and no motivation from like half the team.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Tampa also has the best goalie in the league right now.
Even with Markstrom our poorly play would lead to a 2-5 start. Our issue is giving up breakaways, not covering g for our D, not taking the man going to the net, and no motivation from like half the team.

Ok then look at almost any other good team, tampa was just an example, forwards dont play this deep on other teams as green has our forwards play. Washington was no different today and they dont have the best goalie in the league.

Markstrom i think would have kept us in more games then our current goaltending has, im not blaming goaltending though.

This is getting way off topic, it was about petterssons offensive production and challenges hes facing, not whats wrong with our D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad