Whats wrong with Pacioretty???

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
That line is a problem.

A line with two player under 5'9", could work for a short period.
Could work at home....but not really on the road. Easy to control.

The opponent game plan is easy:
Hit them....and you cand send 5'11" player to do this job!!!

Pacioretty shouldn't have to play the protector/the big guy on that line
at 24 years old. They need a bette, more agressive forecheck and that's where Gallagher comes in......but Gallagher would be so much more effective if he wasn't the main guy on the line.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Pacioretty - DD - Bourque
Ryder - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Halpern - Moen/Armstrong/White

Nothing against Gallagher, it's not a demotion actually a compliment to him that he can play on any line and do well. He could play on Plekanec's RW but Plek-Gio is a dependable duo. The DD line needs an big physical aggressive winger, Pacioretty is big but more of a scorer, Bourque can do dirty work on that line and make DD more effective.

Someone is always going to be hurt, but the fourth line in a healthy roster basically has 4-5 good options (even more since Dumont is proven himself to be NHL calibre). This is a great problem. It wouldn't be popular around here but in the playoffs late in a series MT could use Prust on Eller's LW instead of Gal I wouldn't be shocked

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I love Patches man but the guy cannot pass the puck for the life of him. I'm serious, watch a game and watch whenever he tries to pass... It just doesn't work. That, and combined with the fact that DD isn't really going right now... :help:

Patches is most effective when he's getting into open areas where he can shoot the puck. When he was on his streak, that's what he was doing. Now, he's kind of gotten away from that a little bit. MT has to stop putting Patches - DD - and Gallagher on the first PP wave, it's just not happening for those guys.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Nobody has been finding him in the slot. max's game isn't banging in goals from in close like gallagher, it's sniping them from the slot.

And that is one and only asset. He has above average speed but everything else about Patches is sub average. His defense, his hockey IQ, his vision, his passing, his stickhandling...hell you rarely see a body check from him and he's what 6'3" - it's mostly swipes from his stick.

Many people on this board overrated him. He is what he is (to quote an overused phrase) and we can't expect more from him. I'm not surprised by his play.

Many people on this board don't like Ryder but Patches is another Ryder with even less of an overall game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He's had his ups and downs last year (as opposed to last year where he seemed to be more consistently "up") but still, can't argue with the numbers. Only Hab fans will argue that their leading scorer is "a Max Lapierre clone", "useless except for his shot", etc.

I thought this thread was about Patches not Ryder.

Neutrino

Jan 18, 2011
Montreal
33664035.jpg

What the hell is wrong with some people ? Do we always need be whining about something ?

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
I saw some post that he's floating and not working, but I think it may be because if he goes down, we're in a world of hurt as far as size goes up front. Wouldn't surprise me if MT said stay healthy. We're already down size with Bourque and Prust from the lineup and have 3 smaller guys in already. This isn't to open up the popular midget debate but this makes sense to me. Chucky Eller and Patch are our biggest guys at forward right now

Halifaxhab*

33664035.jpg

What the hell is wrong with some people ? Do we always need be whining about something ?

HOLY GOSH YES!!!!

WTF? The guy gets 1 pt in his last 3 or 4 games, but is on pace for a 70+ pt season (with about 25-30 goals in there too) and there is something wrong with him?

What next? Complaining that Price can't steal every game? PK doing too much? Not enough? Trade DD?

It is the song that never ends.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
If we were clueless fans we'd just shut up and look at the stats but obviously we all see that Max is not working as hard as last year. Last season he was all over the place, fighting hard for the puck, setting desharnais who'd set him back for a nice shot. Right now he is a non factor except for his awesome slot shot. He's playing cammalleri-like.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
If we were clueless fans we'd just shut up and look at the stats but obviously we all see that Max is not working as hard as last year. Last season he was all over the place, fighting hard for the puck, setting desharnais who'd set him back for a nice shot. Right now he is a non factor except for his awesome slot shot. He's playing cammalleri-like.

Clueless fans need to constantly complain about something. You can't expect the same as last year, this is a completely different hockey team and philosophy. Last year the Habs are 15th, this year they are 2nd. Seriously, wtf is wrong with all you complainers? WOW! :shakehead

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't see anything major wrong with Pacioretty game. Guys go hot and cold. I think maybe we need a bigger body on RW than Gallagher(put him with Eller/Prust or Gally?). They are seeing top shutdown pairs recently which has freed up the Plekanec-Ryder line a lot more.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not the shadow of the player he used to be.. I know he has never had the best hands out there but this year he just looks like a Max Lapierre clone..:help:

Except for a one-game stretch here and there, I don't think MaxLap was ever close to a ppg player.

So what are you babbling about?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And that is one and only asset. He has above average speed but everything else about Patches is sub average. His defense, his hockey IQ, his vision, his passing, his stickhandling...hell you rarely see a body check from him and he's what 6'3" - it's mostly swipes from his stick.

Many people on this board overrated him. He is what he is (to quote an overused phrase) and we can't expect more from him. I'm not surprised by his play.

Many people on this board don't like Ryder but Patches is another Ryder with even less of an overall game.

This is based on this season... In the other two seasons he wasnt even close to what he his today. He was a grinder with a good shot and good passing skills. Now he's not doing it.

NewHabsEra*

Its not always about pts, Max just doesnt do what he was doing before like crashing the net and going in the dirtt areas where he was so effective, he shots from the outside, his passing is non existant and to make a story short, he is clearly not playing well, Gallagher is the one carrying this line, what is rather weird considering he is a rookie..

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
It's not about complaining. You look at top contenders like pittsburgh and boston, and as a fan you start thinking about what is missing for the habs to reach that level. Logically it comes to my mind that if Pacioretty was playing like he did last year, the habs would be an even better team that is it now. It's not brainless bashing for no reason, Pacioretty is not as complete as a player as he was last year and it raises question marks.

I look at the way he plays, I'm happy that he manages to get points, it's good for his stats. But he struggles controling the play. He used to piss the other teams because he'd go head first anywhere to get that puck and score.

The habs team, as it is now, would benefit greatly to have last year's Pacioretty, and that guy from last year, MT would be in love with him.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
It's time he gets separated from DD. If you look closely, when DD gets the puck defenders back off and double team the wingers. DD still tries to make that pass though often making Max look bad.

It's time we see Pleks with Max. I've been waiting for too long for this.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
Patches has always been streaky. Are we to bash him now because he's not doing what he was never able to do? He scored 60 something points last year and all of a sudden we expect him to be Jarome Iginla?

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
He got his big pay day and hes now taking it easy, he just gets a free pass cause hes north american

Neutrino

Jan 18, 2011
Montreal
this year he just looks like a Max Lapierre clone..:help:

Pacioretty is like Ryder, pretty much useless except for his shot.

And that is one and only asset (his shot). He has above average speed but everything else about Patches is sub average. His defense, his hockey IQ, his vision, his passing, his stickhandling...

You look at top contenders like pittsburgh and boston, and as a fan you start thinking about what is missing for the habs to reach that level.

In my opinion, this type of thing is what's wrong with our fanbase.

You could legitimately be concerned for a player's production, sure, but to go full delirium and spew that kind of BS shows how disconnected some people are from the actual game. What many folks like way more than hockey is drama and since our team isn't giving them much to feast on in this great hockey season of hockey so far, I guess they have to generate it by themselves.

On the bright side for more informed posters it becomes very easy to separate what should be read with consideration and what should be discarded as nonsense.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
In my opinion, this type of thing is what's wrong with our fanbase.

You could legitimately be concerned for a player's production, sure, but to go full delirium and spew that kind of BS shows how disconnected some people are from the actual game. What many folks like way more than hockey is drama and since our team isn't giving them much to feast on in this great hockey season of hockey so far, I guess they have to generate it by themselves.

On the bright side for more informed posters it becomes very easy to separate what should be read with consideration and what should be discarded as nonsense.

:handclap:

More and more teenagers and alarmist people and people who wake up in the morning just to whine on this board I think. For once in many years, I see no reason to be negative with the current team we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad