Whats up with Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I remember getting *****ed at by the Laine faithful when I said he couldn't drive his own line. Look at all these complaints about his center not being able to get him the puck.
Laine honestly needs a Zach Hyman type player on his line.

But this thread really does put a perspective on how limited Laine's skillset is. He's unable to drive the play, not a good enough skater to retrieve pucks in corners, and is bad with turnovers. Very likely he takes a step back this year in production but it's all for the better, he really needs to improve other aspects of his game.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Jets' current situation can be easily figured out by looking at: NHL.com - Stats

1st line doesn't produce and is horrible defensively
2nd line doesn't produce
3rd line doesn't produce
4th line doesn't produce

Defense sucks.

PIM distribution tells the other side of the story.

So, it's not necessarily all upon shoulders of Laine, whom have his own mental curves too that reflect to his performances. Possession -wise he isn't worst part of the team.
Are you the Oilers?

Reactions: nobody

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lots of Jets fans blaming the line chemistry for a few of their players struggles. What would you guys want them to look like?

Little is one of my favourites dating back to his days as a Barrie Colt and I view him as a solid player who does he play best with?

I also hope they don’t move Connor off that top line got him in fantasy and he is one heck of a player.

Personally I wouldn’t be worried about Laine he goes on tears multiple times a year, I would be a little more worried about what’s going on with Ehlers. Wouldn’t mind tuning into a game to see for myself but is the coach just killing him?

Hard to produce when refs drilling the Jets with 8 straight penalties by the end of period 2, and Laine is not a PKer rofl.

But yeah, Laine, Ehlers and Little have no mojo with each other.
I'd like to see this narrative of blaming Bryan Little end. He's a guy you can trust for 60-65 points in a year, provide good defensive play and win a lot of faceoffs. Plus Winnipeg kind of drops off at C after him. If we're being brutally honest, Little brings more value to the Jets than Laine at this moment IMO.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He had 6 points in his first 11 games last year.

Patrik Laine will be fine, he scores goals. It's what he does.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When did you wake up? I knew it all along.
Yes, the older, historically equally productive player (if you value every point equally)is leaps and bounds above that dirty Finn.

You truly are a visionary, Mr. Nostradamus.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Yes, the older, historically equally productive player (if you value every point equally)is leaps and bounds above that dirty Finn.

Thanks it's a talent.

EDIT: Marner is the better talent in case you haven't noticed.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
only 1 goal in his last 10 games to end the regular season
5 goals in 17 playoff games
1 goal so far in 4 games this year.

7 goals in 31 games is pretty shocking for a kid that had 44 last year. only 16points total as well

is he banged up or just on an extended cold streak

hopefully he turns it around because Matthews vs Laine was the next Sid vs OV
Matthews has blown it wide open with 9 goals already this year
it can't since the first 2 aren't the best players in the world

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

leaps and bounds above Laine? No. he does have a case for being the superior player, although I'd personally take Laine

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If Laine is a great player he should be able to take the puck and create situations himself where chemistry happens, whoever his line mates are. It's called not being one-dimensional and adapting your game to your surroundings.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
He needs passes to success. Dumb and dumber cannot give puck to him. Jets are seldom on powerplay since they take too much stupid penalties themself. Also Laine has little ice time because, rightfully so, he will not get sh minutes. Oh, and Maurice is a tool and Patrik plays too much nintendo and bad minton

Anyone else notice that when Jets take an unneccesary penalty it is Wheeler&Buff 90 % of the time. If you havn´t noticed, think about it for the next games.

Little brian is terrible, absolutely fell off a cliff. Buff on PP? Watch him tkae the slapper into the block 9/10 times instead of passing it to a free Laine. Maurice is terrible at manging the lines.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He can be a slow starter, but the problem is whether he can get "hot" by playing small minutes, and with a center that he traditionally hasn't had any chemistry with. The team isn't really helping at all, in getting him going.

If he does then it will be purely down to Laine's individual talent.

Reactions: LAINEC

member 300185

Leaf fans overreacting over 4-5 games is the most entertaining **** I've seen on this forum.

Laine is shooting 6,7% this season, Matthews 52,9%. That should tell you something. My prediction still stands. Laine will score 52 and Matthews 50.
Seems you have a little Laine Bias happening. Matthews has always been better than Laine and its hard for the rest of the world to get that Matthews is the better pure goal scorer and its not even close. Matthews scores from all over the ice and Laine is a one trick pony and has one shot. Matthews has a complete 200 foot game and Laine doesn't back check.

My prediction is Matthews hits the 50 goal mark by game 70. 41 to go in 65.

Reactions: thunder16

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ovechkin blew the doors off last year at the start and Laine almost caught him until the last few weeks. Not concerned.

"Pace" is the biggest farce people use in this sport

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Leafs fans are having a field day I see.
I guess they learned nothing from Matthews completely disappearing in the playoffs.
Things will even out and they will be neck and neck by the end of the season.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Your opinion on the matter means very little to me.

They're both great players. I wouldn't call Marner the "superior talent"

I would, Laine can't do half the things Marner does, Marner always does what he does best playmaking and helping set-up his team mates. You notice Marner every shift, in every game making things happen. Laine eh not so much.

Your opinion also means nothing to me Because I have called Marner the " SUPERIOR TALENT " all along.

Also in case you didn't know the reason I asked Mess when did he wake up? he didn't want the Leafs to draft Marner , he wanted someone else I can't remember who, so a lot of leaf fans have been on him about it ever since. It had nothing to do with being Nostradamus.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Your opinion also means nothing to me Because I have called Marner the " SUPERIOR TALENT " all along.

Also in case you didn't know the reason I asked Mess when did he wake up? he didn't want the Leafs to draft Marner , he wanted someone else I can't remember who, so a lot of leaf fans have been on him about it ever since. It had nothing to do with being Nostradamus.
You knew it all along.

Leafs fan thinks Marner > Laine, more at 11.
Have a fun season, buddy.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Leafs fans are having a field day I see.
I guess they learned nothing from Matthews completely disappearing in the playoffs.
Things will even out and they will be neck and neck by the end of the season.

And you refuse to acknowledge that Mathews admitted to being bothered in the playoffs by the injuries he suffered during the year!!!!! Broken record by some of you Jets fans.

I also remember Laine not setting the playoffs on fire, Unlike Mathews who was injured Laine was healthy and disappeard, what was his excuse??

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Laine will be fine, he’s actually skating better then he ever has after losing weight & focusing this summer on his first few steps.

The whole Little conversation is similar to the Hyman conversation......both are very different type of players then their line mates. Little is pure North/south guy, Laine & Ehlers are far more east/west. Looking forward to this home stand where PMO can play with the line combos more. Love to see Laine/Roslovic/Ehlers combo.....three similar playing styles
Agreed- only saw him play one game but he looked quicker and more engaged. We all just have to wait until he calls himself out again. :nod:

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
You knew it all along.

Leafs fan thinks Marner > Laine, more at 11.
Have a fun season, buddy.

You don't watch much of Laine or Marner do you? No you don't! If you watched you would see that Marner is the superior talent!

But I'm talking to a wings fan who gets destroyed by Marner every game such as last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad