What's up with Crosby?

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Ovechkin lead his team and the playoffs with 15 goals and had 27 points in 23 games. Crosby had 19 in 23 and had little significance goal scoring or playmaking. Sure, Kuzy deserved it just as much, but Ovechkin still had a better run his year than Crosy. Not to mention Ovechkin had a much better finals than Crosby did.

If your going to use Ovechkins to argue for Crosby, please understand that one is not like the other. Ovechkin or Kuzy would have been Smythe winners in 2016, where as Crosby wouldn’t have sniffed it most years.

Yeah, Crosby’s was weaker, but Kuznetsov deserved the Smythe as much as Ovi did. The guy was the line driver. Gotta give OV credit for his goals and decent defensive play, but you can’t say Kessel deserved it more than Kuznetsov. Even if Kessel would have won, it would’ve been a weak Smythe. People are more upset about Crosby winning it than the Smythe being a weak one itself.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Crosby has seen it all and done it all. He will be there for the big moments. Perhaps watching Crosby make Marner, Gardiner look silly on his puck management and moves last night is still pretty impressive.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
5 games played and hasn't scored a goal yet. I thought he would come in blazing hot because of how well he played in the playoffs but no cigar yet. What's going on?

I wouldn't blame him for not giving a single **** about the RS though because he's a champion, and champions wait for the real games.
Streaky. Always has been. Strong last two games. It'll come.

Reactions: varank

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin led the playoffs in goals, PPG+, was near the top in hits, +8. Not the strongest smythe post lockout, but definitely not near the bottom either. Middle of the pack.

Crosby wasn't even PPG and was a minus player. 100% reputation based. Worst smythe post lockout.

So should Crosby have won the Smythe in 2009 then? 5 less points, more goals, and did not need a linemate to help him produce.

Take your pick. Either Crosby was deserving in 2016 or he was deserving in 2009. You can't say that OV wasn't also given the reputation treatment.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
He's in on 25% of the Pens goals, which is a drop off from 32-33% the last couple of years, which was a drop off from 35-39% the two years before that.

Pens in general are scoring only at the league average, after being 10-15% above average the last two years.

Would expect a little bit of an uptick the rest of the year in both team scoring and his contribution to it. Say 280 goals and 30% involvement, 84 points. 25 g 59 a as the target.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Penguins are slow starters, kinda copied what Suter did with the kings. With that said, his age is rapidly catching up to him.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yeah, Crosby’s was weaker, but Kuznetsov deserved the Smythe as much as Ovi did. The guy was the line driver. Gotta give OV credit for his goals and decent defensive play, but you can’t say Kessel deserved it more than Kuznetsov. Even if Kessel would have won, it would’ve been a weak Smythe. People are more upset about Crosby winning it than the Smythe being a weak one itself.
I agree, Kuzy was just as deserving. The main reason why Kessel didn’t win is because he wasn’t playing top line minutes, but his line was definitely the difference maker more times in the playoffs than Crosbys. I mean the voting was close between Kessel and Crosby regardless, showing that Kessel had a lot of consideration.

I mean Murray was more deserving in my book, but you are right, no one really stood out or was more impactful. I just feel Crosby was the “best” to give it to based on bogus reasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mean Gene

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
So should Crosby have won the Smythe in 2009 then? 5 less points, more goals, and did not need a linemate to help him produce.

Take your pick. Either Crosby was deserving in 2016 or he was deserving in 2009. You can't say that OV wasn't also given the reputation treatment.
Your the only person who actually believes in deserved it in 2009. Sure, almost every other year that would have been Smythe worthy, but not that year. It was Malkins to lose.

The difference between 2016 and 2009 is 2016 didn’t have a Juggernaut post season in Malkin. 36 points is ridiculous, and one of the most productive of all time, so no....there is no argument. Your totally dismissing basic facts.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Is he trying to get the coach fired? People want to forget that Crosby quits on coaches. Lots of people ignore how completely awful Crosby played for the first half of that season when he was trying (and succeeded) to get Mike Johnston fired.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Is he trying to get the coach fired? People want to forget that Crosby quits on coaches. Lots of people ignore how completely awful Crosby played for the first half of that season when he was trying (and succeeded) to get Mike Johnston fired.

Well. Doubt he is quitting on Sullivan.

Crosby rightly quit on Johnston and rightly got Blysma fired. Awful coaches.

Sid started bad last year too. He'll be the best in the world when it matters. In Apr-May.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I think Crosby has always been tremendously overrated, especially after his concussion troubles.

He hasn't scored more than 89 points in a season since 2014. He's basically been a point-per-game player since he returned from concussions (after one big comeback year). A point-per-game player is still good, but not great by any means.

Reactions: Facifer

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I think Crosby has always been tremendously overrated, especially after his concussion troubles.

He hasn't scored more than 89 points in a season since 2014. He's basically been a point-per-game player since he returned from concussions (after one big comeback year). A point-per-game player is still good, but not great by any means.
Sounds like someone who just googles statlines.

When was the last time you watched a Penguins game?

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

That’s a Midnight Judges type of reply...

You do know that he might have gotten 100 pts in 2017 if not for the injuries right? He probably would’ve had more pts than Benn in 2015 if not for the mumps too.

You also tend to forget that scoring was quite low around that time compared to today. He finished 3rd in scoring in 2015, 3rd in 2016 and 2nd in 2017. Last season was arguably his first weak healthy year while being 10th in scoring with 89 pts. Yet still put up a pretty good 21 pts in 12 games in the playoffs in 2018 with back 2 back Smythes 2 years prior.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Just curious who do you consider great then? Crosby may not have had the peaks of some but he is one of the most consistent players in the league and always around the top. You act like there are many point per game players in the league.

2013 - 2014 Season until now these are the top five players in ppg.

McDavid 1.24 Gp 215 Points 267
Malkin 1.15 Gp 332 Points 382
Crosby 1.14 Gp 400 Points 465
Kane 1.08 Gp 383 Points 415
Benn 1.00 Gp 411 Points 411
Seguin 1.00 Gp 394 Points 394

Crosby has played the second most games and has the most points. That is pretty good. Unless you consider McDavid the only great player in the league since 2014?

Reactions: LuG61

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad