What's up with Crosby?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
All the Caps did was eliminate Crosby who takes regular season off so he can be a playoff beast.Caps eliminated Crosby/Penguins and Won the Cup. Guess it hasn't sunk in yet.

It is true that the Pens don't win every single year. Pittsburgh fans will simply have to settle for their team winning more than anybody else.

467282.gif

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
21 points in 12 games last playoffs. Crosby is still the best player when he tries to be.

Except he wasn't. Despite the points, Crosby was plus zero against the Capitals and nowhere near playing the defense they needed it in crucial moments.

I can post videos if you like.

Reactions: Casanova

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Sure he has, except back then precisely the same people who habitually make excuses for Crosby were calling Ovechkin washed up, a lazy Russian, one-dimensional, or saying the league figured him out.

Maybe because he was 25 y/o when he did that... so the washed up part wouldve made a little bit more sense

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Except he wasn't. Despite the points, Crosby was plus zero against the Capitals and nowhere near playing the defense they needed it in crucial moments.

No videos you could possibly post would be enough to counter a playoff 1.75 P/G.

But you should try. I could use a laugh, and your "plus zero" takedown was a nice appetizer.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
You think calling someone washed up at 25 makes sense.

Huh.

Well, he certainly wasn’t coasting at 25 y/o or cup hangover... I’m not saying I would’ve called him washed up, but it would’ve made sense for people calling him that way given the circumstances.... well moreso than Crosby.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
So it was a grace period. Now its the regular season is not important. You guys sound like field workers for how many goal posts you move in such a short time. Players get old. Sidney is still top 10 but anything above that is debateable. Losing to your rivals that you used to dominant is a sign that times are changing and the Penguins are on a downswing. I am sorry for your loss, denial is part of the process, take your time.

You do realize that Ovechkin is two years older than Crosby right? And that the Caps have one of the oldest rosters in the league, similar to Pittsburgh? Ovy and co were due after falling short of their potential for so many years. Now if McDavid or Matthews lead their teams to big playoff wins over the Pens that is a true changing of the guard.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Everyone should know he’s throwing in the towel until after the Allstar Game. He doesn’t wanna go and if he plays to his full potential, there isn’t a way he’s not invited.

These young kids have more to play for in the regular season now. Sid just wants one thing.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think he's just in a different place mentally right now, winning b2b cups probably does that.

He used to be the model of consistency but since opening night of 17/18 i've seen a lack of effort from him more than ever.

Kind of a reflection of the whole team, they seem to need a proper kick in the ass before the team plays their hearts out, and sometimes even more than one kick.

I mean these days it feels like when the Pens play against a non-playoff team you almost want to bet against them every time :laugh: Not like the old days when you could expect 3 point nights from Sid against bad teams.

And as far as the individual stuff goes, i wonder if McDavid's play has sort of taken a piece of Sid's competitiveness. He probably realizes he can't match his numbers and there's no award for being #2.

Reactions: Trade

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Very few players were lucky enough to play on a team (or teams) that reach SCF 4 times, so if you want a sample that big, comparables will be few and far between.
From the limited research I did some time ago on the post-lockout generation, Malkin and Kane scored at 32 goals per 82 games clip in CF and SCF. Toews, of all people, scored at 29-per-82 clip. Crosby, again, is at 22-per-82. (That's not to mention his 4 goals in 25 SCF games, which pro-rate to 12-per-82). It is hard to put a positive spin on that.

To the bolded - I just meant don't give me someone who has played in 1 series and tell me they put up a 60 goal pace

Similar to the fact that Austin Matthews isn't going to score 164 goals this year - projecting CF/SCF production out to 82 games isn't exactly sound logic. The difference between 32 and 22 is less than 1 standard deviation with such a small sample size.

And, you have proven that 22 isn't even a bad number considering 32 is the highest you could find. Again, no one is putting up RS numbers that deep into the postseason.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Sure he has, except back then precisely the same people who habitually make excuses for Crosby were calling Ovechkin washed up, a lazy Russian, one-dimensional, or saying the league figured him out.

Sorry, I wasn't calling out Ovi. It was a long chain of replies that started out with someone pointing out how great Ovi is playing right now and that great players are able to succeed both in the RS and playoffs.

But I know it was pointless since all the people I was replying to clearly have short memories

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

You literally just copy and pasted a post you made last month, have yet to post any videos. This is embarrassing...

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
5 games played and hasn't scored a goal yet. I thought he would come in blazing hot because of how well he played in the playoffs but no cigar yet. What's going on?

I wouldn't blame him for not giving a single **** about the RS though because he's a champion, and champions wait for the real games.

He’s been very average the past couple years, I’d say he’s going to do the same this one. 85-89pts. I wouldn’t worry

Edit: Very average as in his points have been very consistent besides 1 breakout year. Don’t freak out on me pens fans

Reactions: varank

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He won the Conn Smythe the previous two years. Would you like us to post all the highlights?

Can't be the champs every year. You come off like you're more concerned about putting Crosby down than anything, it's pretty sad.

"Won" is a strong word. "Was gifted" is more fitting regarding 2016. (Tom Wilson's production was similar in 2018 to Crosby's in 2016, except Wilson is very good defensively).

Sorry to make you sad.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Wouldn't be a Crosby thread without the usual Caps fans in here to try to throw shade on him.

Anyways, he always starts slow. And is also pacing himself more these days. And is older.

He'll probably end up with 80-90 points again. And most likely will not win the Art Ross because Mcdavid can fall out of bed and hit 100 points with how young and fast he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad