Speculation: Whats next for Calgary ?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Just like Suzuki is going to be taking steps forward for the Habs, Flames have Dube, Mangiapane, Andersson, Hanifin and Tkachuk all will take steps forward this year as well. And just like you have Romanov coming in we have Valimaki who's a PPG over in Liiga right now.

Oh no doubt they will. Other than Dube, most of those players listed are closer to 24 than 21 but are all contributing at a high level already. Those players are all great. Issue isn't those players though.

The difference between the Habs players you listed and the Flames players you listed is need and age. Suzuki is a top 6 player now but even if he regresses, we have other options. Romanov is tentatively slotted on the third pairing, he might play the full season in the AHL.

Montreal isn't relying on its prospects to carry the team, it's hoping but worst case scenario is we are a bit weaker than expected. Suzuki played a while season at 2c, Kotkaneimi at 3c.

But even then, does it matter to Calgary? Montreal aren't a favourite in the east, it's likely a 1st round exit this year too (I'm hoping for more).

Calgary has a lot of assets to build around which are great.

I don't see them beating any of the big name teams though for the reasons I listed. Andersen's progression won't offset Gio's inevitable decline, at least not until Valimaki and Kylington are ready to advance into bigger roles.

Dube is a good young prospect but is he ready to step into a top 6 role?

Calgary just isn't a strong enough team to win for the reasons I listed, depth and weak top 6 and a d core that won't bail out the other weaknesses.

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I expect a trade to shake up the forward core, then again this off-season has the potential to be unpredictable. It could totally quiet down, and the Flames may roll into next season rocking what they have now. Honestly the thing I'm looking forward most to next season is the new retro's as the official uniform and to see how Marky does in net. Other than that this team doesn't excite me much.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Getting Mangiapane signed. Signing 2 depth forwards/rebound candidates. Potentially signing a depth D. That’s likely it.

Less likely possibilities are trading Hanifin, or signing another impact player and then making a cap clearing move such as Ryan or Bennett.
Bennett shouldn’t be traded. Give him a season with a coach that plays him at centre and then make your judgement.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
1st round exit.

I don't feel they moved forward this offseason. Except in goal, that was huge.

Gio is still aging, Andersen isn't ready to be a 1d yet.

Top 6 is still alright, tons of average. Depth won't bail them out.

They definitely aren't a team that'll scare others. Are they better than Vancouver or Edmonton? I don't feel so.

The season is not starting tomorrow.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
you guys keeping Rittich even with the Markstrom signing?

I don't think we will. I think there is a major shake up trade coming to the forward group, we cannot go into next season with the same forward group.

On the D, we still need another top 4 D and I think this happens with the big shake up trade involving the forward group. We will acquire a D in that trade.

I think Rittch gets moved because of salary.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Id love to finally see a Gaudreau trade to get it over with, and to see what sort of roster we can make from it.

People letting go of Bennett being a centre is bonus.

Not a huge fan of Tanev over Brodie, but if Tj didn't give us a choice then nothing can be done there.

Excited to see what Valimaki adds.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
1st round exit.

I don't feel they moved forward this offseason. Except in goal, that was huge.

Gio is still aging, Andersen isn't ready to be a 1d yet.

Top 6 is still alright, tons of average. Depth won't bail them out.

They definitely aren't a team that'll scare others. Are they better than Vancouver or Edmonton? I don't feel so.
Not better than Vancouver? To recap they lost a top 6F, a top 4D, a top 6D and a top 5 NHL goalie who stole them more games then they’re willing to admit

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Not better than Vancouver? To recap they lost a top 6F, a top 4D, a top 6D and a top 5 NHL goalie who stole them more games then they’re willing to admit

Vancouver still has to sign Virtanen and Gaudette... with almost no cap space. They will have to buyout a player or throw valuable assets to get another team to take a cap dump.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don’t think he is top 5 myself, but he did literally just finish 4th in Vezina voting. There is an argument to be made.
DeAngelo & Lindell recieved Norris Trophy votes, and finished ahead of Jones & Heiskanen in voting.

Poor argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad