What's Kulemin's value if he gets traded?

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
He is a UFA after this season which reduces his value on the market. We are loaded with bottom 6 prospects, and as much as I like him, I think he is replaceable. Last year was the time to trade him to maximize his value.

BayStreetBullies*

He's a decent 3rd liner, nothing flashy but he's the kind of guy playoff teams might want to add for depth. Which makes me ask, why would we trade him?

Because advanced stats say we'll be a bottom feeder, duh. :sarcasm:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I am not big on bringing back Kuli. Yes he is a home grown player, he is very reliable. But his time with the Leafs have come and gone.

He simply doesn't play physical like he used to, not vocal and definitely not tough. Had one good season on 30 goals. I think it's time we move on.

If he were to get traded in the deadline, what can we fetch?

I say a 2nd rounder at best. Penguins would love to have a player like Kuli and Pens always pay a high price.

Personally I think he is a prime Detroit match.

I have so many problems with what you said about Kulemin. He easily gets a first round pick by any team going into the playoffs.

That being said why on earth would we want to get rid of one of our best defensive forwards and our depth scoring, one of our best cyclers. He is a prototypical Carlyle type player. He has some offensive upside as well. He was never an overly physical player either I am not sure why you are saying "like he used to". He is just a big strong forward that is hard to get off the puck and hard to move. He is like JVR just minus the scoring touch and better defensively, a safer player. He is also one of the harder working players on the team. How you are just saying screw it with him is beyond me.

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think a lot of people here have the wrong idea on why we have to trade Kuli. The reason why TO trades Kuli at trade deadline is so we have enough cap room to sign our big guns. Who would you rather have, Kuli or Franson? The simple fact is TO has a ton of bottom 6 depth and with all the players we signed for next year I really feel there simply is no more room for him.

Personally I would rather use money we are spending on Kuli now to try and resign Raymond and Bolland next year or use the money to pay for Phaneuf and Franson raises. It isnt a knock against Kuli its just a harsh reality when you are only a bottom 6 player.

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
I think a lot of people here have the wrong idea on why we have to trade Kuli. The reason why TO trades Kuli at trade deadline is so we have enough cap room to sign our big guns. Who would you rather have, Kuli or Franson? The simple fact is TO has a ton of bottom 6 depth and with all the players we signed for next year I really feel there simply is no more room for him.

Personally I would rather use money we are spending on Kuli now to try and resign Raymond and Bolland next year or use the money to pay for Phaneuf and Franson raises. It isnt a knock against Kuli its just a harsh reality when you are only a bottom 6 player.

If we have such great bottom 6 depth why is Colton Orr on the third line right now?

Would rather lose Kuli as a ufa to be honest if it means having him around for the playoffs...playoff teams add depth, they don't usually trade it away.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If we have such great bottom 6 depth why is Colton Orr on the third line right now?

Would rather lose Kuli as a ufa to be honest if it means having him around for the playoffs...playoff teams add depth, they don't usually trade it away.

Because Broll is playing on the 2nd line and Ashton is having a slow start. And also we will see how the rest ofthe Marlies play, they have only played 2 games so maybe someone down there is ready to push Kuli out?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
We can't afford to trade him. He's a very valuable piece to our 3rd line. After watching a few games of Ashton on the third line, it's clear that if we want to be a playoff team (and get beyond the first round) that we need to ice a team with Kulemin and Clarkson in the lineup.

Maybe he'll walk in the offseason and we can replace him with a free agent signing, but until then he's got to be here.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Kulemin is a keeper and should not be traded, he should be a staple of our third line for years to come. On the Detroit point, his value to our team is how Detroit values a 3rd liner like Darren Helm.

Ideally it would be better to keep him, but you have to consider the option he may demand too much money or may want to go eleswhere, its naive to think "oh he shouldnt be traded", you have to look at the big picture here. Clarkson got $5.25M/over 7 years and he has the same offensive game as Kulemin does but Kulemin has a much more rounded overall game, so if Clarkson got that type of money you'd have to think Kulemin will demand close to $6M, now as great as Kulemin is, is that the type of money you want to pay a 2nd/3rd liner? Again if it were me I'd offer Kulemin a $4.5-5M deal/6 years that would be my offer to him, and if he can't accept it then I would peddle him off at the deadline for a pick/prospect as opposed to losing him for nothing.[/QUOTE]

this is easily the stupidest thing I've ever read...LOL

horner

May 22, 2007

MMMMMMMMMMM

We have forwards injured
do you watch the Leafs games ???????

Clarkson ( suspended ), Kuli ( injured ), McLaren ( injured ) and on D Fraser ( injured )

and Mcclement's wife had a baby the game before Nashville

WE WERE MISSING UP TO 4 FORWARD ONE GAME

That is why Orr was playing the 3 line

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
probably our best defensive forward outside of maybe bolland. No way I'd trade him for a second

I would contend that Jay McClement, Dave Bolland and Nikolai Kulemin are of equal defensive prowess and each bring something different to the table (PK, clutch, absolute horse..etc).

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Honestly I'd like to have him back, but I think he'll be asking somewhere in the 3m area, which I wouldn't pay. I'd rather use that in other areas.

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
MMMMMMMMMMM

We have forwards injured
do you watch the Leafs games ???????

Clarkson ( suspended ), Kuli ( injured ), McLaren ( injured ) and on D Fraser ( injured )

and Mcclement's wife had a baby the game before Nashville

WE WERE MISSING UP TO 4 FORWARD ONE GAME

That is why Orr was playing the 3 line

Right, injuries, like the ones that happen over the course of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad