What's Kulemin's value if he gets traded?

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
It bothers me how a guy can go from being a 30 goal, 60 point player, to an offensive black hole. I guess it truly was just an anomaly. However, it is nice to know he has it in him. I think though, his niche is to be a #3 LW, who can put up 10-20 goals and 35-45 points while being a beast defensively. I'd re-sign him as long as he is asking for <= 4mil per. As long as the contract isn't > 5 years, I'd think it would be pretty moveable as well.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It bothers me how a guy can go from being a 30 goal, 60 point player, to an offensive black hole. I guess it truly was just an anomaly. However, it is nice to know he has it in him. I think though, his niche is to be a #3 LW, who can put up 10-20 goals and 35-45 points while being a beast defensively. I'd re-sign him as long as he is asking for <= 4mil per. As long as the contract isn't > 5 years, I'd think it would be pretty moveable as well.

This is where the advanced stats guys really take over. Kulemin had the highest quality of competition for forwards in the NHL last year. The year he scored 30 with Grabovski and Mac, they were on a sheltered scoring line.

He'd score 30 again if he were given the soft minutes he had then.

There's nothing anomalous about it.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
2nd rounder + prospect but i'd rather hold on to him and resign him for about 3M for 4 seasons.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

I can tell you why I think Kulemin's offensive game has dropped so much: Kulemin isn't a natural scorer, he's not the type to dangle around a guy and then go top corner on the goalie. Kulemin's success comes from his heavy shot, and his net presence, when he had that 30 goal season a lot of his goals came within 5-10 feet of the net. Kulemin in 11/12 got away from that, he stopped shooting he went from 173 shots in 11/12 to 107 shots in 12/13 thats a 70 shot difference. The other reason is in 11/12 Wilson realized what a blackhole he was so he put him in a defensive role (one of Wilson's few bright moves) which again meant less scoring chances for Kulemin. For Kulemin to be a 30 goal guy again he needs to be in the top 6 all season and he needs to be firing his shot off as much as possible and going to the net with authority, if he can get back to what he was doing right there is no reason he can't hit 30 again. However I think its safe to say with Lupul/JVR/Kessel/Clarkson on the team as wingers he's now a 3rd liner, which means he'll be in a checking role which will limit his offensive chances, I see him now as a 15-20 goal guy who can put up 40 or so points annually.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I bet he scores more goals than Clarkson while playing significantly harder minutes. Not worth $3m/per? Xenophobia imo.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
I don't like the idea of trading Kulemin, but with the prospects that are coming up it might be a good idea to trade him for a high-end forward prospect that our pool is lacking. I'd move him to move up in the draft or get such a prospect, since we can give this type of player a long time to develop.

To Calgary:
TOR 1st, Nikolai Kulemin, Stuart Percy, 2015 TOR 2nd

To Toronto:
CGY 1st

0% Chance Calgary would be interested in this. Their pick is going to be extremely high and they need top end talent more than we do.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
0% Chance Calgary would be interested in this. Their pick is going to be extremely high and they need top end talent more than we do.

This^^^^^ As good as Kulemin is defensively, he's not top line offensive talent either, they already have a bunch of "tweeners" in their lineup as is. That being said, Feaster still their GM and he's a dolt I could see him doing something like this, and keep in mind I did hear a rumour that the owners told Calgary they have to make the playoffs this year.

IMO speaking of Calgary I give it til Janurary tops before Burke cans Feaster and appoints himself as GM.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
I would only trade Kulemin if he was a part of a package for a bigger deal...

A package of Kulemin+Gunnar has value and we can afford to give it up if the return is worth it.

Mr Scarface*

Less than he's worth to us.
Oops, there it is!!!

Correct and he should be playing for us for ages. Not everyone of our hit squad's members have to be "hard looking" etc. Some of them are just fine playing that discipline game, great D, getting back, checking with the stoned face and looking the part just enough. A real solid dude Kulemin is and pretty damn strong/balanced guy with his trained body. He might not be scoring the 30 g's, but look at him go on the PK. He really gets the j.o.b done. Keep him, other teams won't be giving us enough of him.
Kulemin reminds me of trusted foot soldiers.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I could see Kulemin outscoring Clarkson if he's playing with Lupul. A strong playmaker like Lupul is going to make him a lot more productive. I see him realising that with either Bolland or Kadri in the middle.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I could see Kulemin outscoring Clarkson if he's playing with Lupul. A strong playmaker like Lupul is going to make him a lot more productive. I see him realising that with either Bolland or Kadri in the middle.

1. Kulemin likely wont play with Lupul. Randy loves to have a shutdown line, I don't see Clarkson being on the shutdown line he'll be on a scoring line with Lupul and Kadri most likely. No I dont see Kulemin outproducing Clarkson, they may have similar points but Clarkson is the better goal scorer

2. Lupul is NOT a play maker, hes a sniper.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
1. Kulemin likely wont play with Lupul. Randy loves to have a shutdown line, I don't see Clarkson being on the shutdown line he'll be on a scoring line with Lupul and Kadri most likely. No I dont see Kulemin outproducing Clarkson, they may have similar points but Clarkson is the better goal scorer

2. Lupul is NOT a play maker, hes a sniper.
He is playing with Lupul, at the moment. It's just that clichés dominate this forum and it's going to be interesting to see how this continues.

Lupul is a great puck distributor. He could be a 45-50 assist guy per annum (pro-rated). On the other hand, his goal scoring would be more difficult to sustain. I think 25-30 goals is his upside. We'll see, though.

Clarkson is being overrated here. He's hardly consistent and is going be moving around lines. He'll probably spend time with Bolland AND Kessel as well. I could see Kulemin playing with Kadri and Lupul extensively.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Yeah let's trade the most versatile player on the roster. The guy can play on any line, kills penalties, can grind out hard minutes against top lines, blocks shots, hits, etc.

And people have a problem paying him $3.5 million a year?

I'd rather try to sign him for 3-3.5 at whatever term he wants rather than trade him for a draft pick that will probably never play in the NHL, let alone contribute more than Kulemin.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
if u wanna win it all, u dont lose players like kulemin and mcclement

Agreed. But, you also don't pay them 3+ million. The Hawks just got rid of Bolland because they couldn't afford his salary on the third line. Raymond, who's career is very similar to Kulemin's barely found a job this year and is now at 1 M. I, personally would have a hard time justifying more than 3x3 for Kuli.

Here's a question...If you can only keep two of Bolland, Kulemin, and McClement, which two do you keep?

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
this isn't basketball, players need to be good on defense to succeed which Kulemin is and all those players you mentioned are not. plus, i doubt any of the players you named have higher scoring upside than Kulemin :laugh: ..

What a foolish comment to start your post with, lol. I'm guessing hockey is the only sport you've ever had interest in?

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Agreed. But, you also don't pay them 3+ million. The Hawks just got rid of Bolland because they couldn't afford his salary on the third line. Raymond, who's career is very similar to Kulemin's barely found a job this year and is now at 1 M. I, personally would have a hard time justifying more than 3x3 for Kuli.

Here's a question...If you can only keep two of Bolland, Kulemin, and McClement, which two do you keep?

IMO, the guys who can play center.

We have winger replacements in the Marlies who might be reay next year.

I like Kule but if it's between the 3 of them, I'll take the centers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nonis would be crazy not to keep Kulemin. His defensive play is outstanding. I think because of the lack of playoff hockey in this town, people forget that you need, scratch that, must have forwards specifically for defense. This is why we have Bolland,McClement,Kulemin and it's why guys like MacArthur were let go.

Last edited:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
This is where the advanced stats guys really take over. Kulemin had the highest quality of competition for forwards in the NHL last year. The year he scored 30 with Grabovski and Mac, they were on a sheltered scoring line.

He'd score 30 again if he were given the soft minutes he had then.

There's nothing anomalous about it.

i agree 100%. he hasn't lost it, he's bought into playing an different role and is a complete team player. also, grabbo lost it offensively the season after.

he of course regained in washington, where he had something to prove, just like when he first came to toronto.

grabbo will lose his skill probably after a year or 2 of playing in washington. it's all mental with him imo.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
this isn't basketball, players need to be good on defense to succeed which Kulemin is and all those players you mentioned are not. plus, i doubt any of the players you named have higher scoring upside than Kulemin :laugh: ..

Funny thing is if you look at 2 key goals scored by Toronto this year Kulemin physically separated the players from the puck along the boards directly leading to the goals they scored.

If only he was Canadian born.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->