What's Kulemin's value if he gets traded?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I am not big on bringing back Kuli. Yes he is a home grown player, he is very reliable. But his time with the Leafs have come and gone.

He simply doesn't play physical like he used to, not vocal and definitely not tough. Had one good season on 30 goals. I think it's time we move on.

If he were to get traded in the deadline, what can we fetch?

I say a 2nd rounder at best. Penguins would love to have a player like Kuli and Pens always pay a high price.

Personally I think he is a prime Detroit match.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
IMO, a 2nd for Kuli would be a ripoff for the Leafs.

Perhaps to an outsider they'd consider Kuli not being worth more, but to me IF I'm trading for a draft pick and I'm the Leafs I would take no lower than top 10 in the 1st round.

Kuli is a machine and I don't see how you can say that he's "come and gone". This guy has grown consistently and is one of the backbones of our team's 2-way play.

TL;DR - I wouldn't trade him for anything outside of top 10 in the draft. I consider him VERY valuable to our team.

EDIT: I think some people fail to understand that hockey is not all about how much a player can score - i.e. Stamkos in Tampa Bay. Every time Kuli prevents a goal in our end, that's equivalent to a goal being scored on the other; and nobody on our team faces tougher competition than Kulemin.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
IMO, a 2nd for Kuli would be a ripoff for the Leafs.

Perhaps to an outsider they'd consider Kuli not being worth more, but to me IF I'm trading for a draft pick and I'm the Leafs I would take no lower than top 10 in the 1st round.

Kuli is a machine and I don't see how you can say that he's "come and gone". This guy has grown consistently and is one of the backbones of our team's 2-way play.

TL;DR - I wouldn't trade him for anything outside of top 10 in the draft. I consider him VERY valuable to our team.

Thank you for the input. You make very good points

My beef against him staying is not because I dislike him, I think he's very replaceable. come next year. We have to be true to our younger players, players like Ross, Leivo Biggs and Ashton I think can easily replace Kuli's offensive production.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
the PItt fit still makes sense

I suggested Kulemin for Sundqvist and Niskanen. I liked the idea of adding Nisk as a RHD for the 2nd pp unit and top 6 and Sund would be a nice replacement for Colborne....if not better

but with Leafs having so many dmen in the system probably doesn't make sense anymore

MrLegend28*

My beef against him staying is not because I dislike him, I think he's very replaceable. come next year. We have to be true to our younger players, players like Ross, Leivo Biggs and Ashton I think can easily replace Kuli's offensive production.

this isn't basketball, players need to be good on defense to succeed which Kulemin is and all those players you mentioned are not. plus, i doubt any of the players you named have higher scoring upside than Kulemin :laugh: ..

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
He is worth a late first at worst and at best. He is worth more to the Leafs as he is a shutdown winger that would be hard to replace so trading him for a late first does make sense unless we are out of the playoff race.

With our top 4 wingers locked up for the longterm signing Kulemin will be hard and to sell him on a 3rd line role when he could get a Stalberg-like deal (4 years at 4M per). I would like to re-sign him but he will get at least 3.5M per easily.

Best case is we make the playoffs and he helps us when the Cup and we re-sign him. If not then he walks as a UFA. Shoring up our D and re-signing guys like Bolland and McClement is more important.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
There is absolutely no reason we should be looking to trade Kulemin. Even if we fall apart and become sellers at the deadline he's worth more to us than what we'd get. He's the ideal 3rd liner. Watch him for a whole game, he's one of those guys that can have a huge impact on the game without showing up in the scoresheet.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
If he gets traded at the deadline his return won't be high, its not a knock on him as a player its that he'll be a UFA come July 1st not many teams are going to part with assets for a rental player. I would say if we trade him at the deadline a 2nd rounder and a mid ranged prospect would be his ideal return value, that being said I'd rather resign him the guy is extremley valulable to the Leafs.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Did you not see him play the last two games? How he was actually the primary reason why both Phaneuf and Bolland scored? His defensive and physical game has gotten better since he started here (yes, this includes his fluke 30 goal season). Carlyle is clearly encouraging him to use his body and block shots more (he was top 10 last season). TSN even went on a big spiel about him during Philly's game, talking about his size and how effective he is at using it which is rare cause Kulemin hardly gets credit for anything on broadcasts. Carlyle clearly loves him, he's on the ice for every key defensive draw or when we're holding a lead.

Kulemin is a keeper and should not be traded, he should be a staple of our third line for years to come. On the Detroit point, his value to our team is how Detroit values a 3rd liner like Darren Helm.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Kulemin is a keeper and should not be traded, he should be a staple of our third line for years to come. On the Detroit point, his value to our team is how Detroit values a 3rd liner like Darren Helm.[/QUOTE]

Ideally it would be better to keep him, but you have to consider the option he may demand too much money or may want to go eleswhere, its naive to think "oh he shouldnt be traded", you have to look at the big picture here. Clarkson got $5.25M/over 7 years and he has the same offensive game as Kulemin does but Kulemin has a much more rounded overall game, so if Clarkson got that type of money you'd have to think Kulemin will demand close to $6M, now as great as Kulemin is, is that the type of money you want to pay a 2nd/3rd liner? Again if it were me I'd offer Kulemin a $4.5-5M deal/6 years that would be my offer to him, and if he can't accept it then I would peddle him off at the deadline for a pick/prospect as opposed to losing him for nothing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In hopefully a playoff year, wouldn't get enough back for him to make it worthwhile to trade him.

I like Nonis' plan of signing players that want to play here, if Kulemin wants to stay and Leafs offer him a contract. He will be a Leaf.

He's not a 30 goal guy but perhaps a 15 goal guy that is excellent defensively. Problem is we have Bolland to sign too. Can't keep them all.

Alexander Baigle

Jun 27, 2011
Great White North
I don't like the idea of trading Kulemin, but with the prospects that are coming up it might be a good idea to trade him for a high-end forward prospect that our pool is lacking. I'd move him to move up in the draft or get such a prospect, since we can give this type of player a long time to develop.

To Calgary:
TOR 1st, Nikolai Kulemin, Stuart Percy, 2015 TOR 2nd

To Toronto:
CGY 1st

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
I can't see anyone giving Kulemin anywhere near 6M. Clarkson got that contract after a 30 goal season and roughly a 30 goal pace in a short season last year. Offensive numbers = big contracts, and I think most people in the NHL accept Kulemin's 30 goal output to be a fluke. Fortunately for us, his goal-scoring isn't his biggest contribution and he won't come anywhere near 30 this year.

wulfio*

Kulemin is a keeper and should not be traded, he should be a staple of our third line for years to come. On the Detroit point, his value to our team is how Detroit values a 3rd liner like Darren Helm.

Ideally it would be better to keep him, but you have to consider the option he may demand too much money or may want to go eleswhere, its naive to think "oh he shouldnt be traded", you have to look at the big picture here. Clarkson got $5.25M/over 7 years and he has the same offensive game as Kulemin does but Kulemin has a much more rounded overall game, so if Clarkson got that type of money you'd have to think Kulemin will demand close to $6M, now as great as Kulemin is, is that the type of money you want to pay a 2nd/3rd liner? Again if it were me I'd offer Kulemin a $4.5-5M deal/6 years that would be my offer to him, and if he can't accept it then I would peddle him off at the deadline for a pick/prospect as opposed to losing him for nothing.[/QUOTE]

wow, really? I see him as a $3.5 mill max.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Ideally it would be better to keep him, but you have to consider the option he may demand too much money or may want to go eleswhere, its naive to think "oh he shouldnt be traded", you have to look at the big picture here. Clarkson got $5.25M/over 7 years and he has the same offensive game as Kulemin does but Kulemin has a much more rounded overall game, so if Clarkson got that type of money you'd have to think Kulemin will demand close to $6M, now as great as Kulemin is, is that the type of money you want to pay a 2nd/3rd liner? Again if it were me I'd offer Kulemin a $4.5-5M deal/6 years that would be my offer to him, and if he can't accept it then I would peddle him off at the deadline for a pick/prospect as opposed to losing him for nothing.

He does not have the leverage to ask for that kind of money because him and Clarkson have gone in opposite directions offensively. I don't think anyone here would agree that's the money he would even ask for, not even close. 3.5 is likely the max he could ask for - if he has an insane agent, he might ask for 4.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think dealing Kulemin is inevitable, this coming from maybe his largest supporter. We simply cannot afford him at what likely will be a 3 mill cap hit and will likely lose him to FA.

Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond, Phaneuf, Franson, Fraser, Gardiner, Ranger and Reimer need to be signed and we only have ~22.5 mill + cap increase to get it done (roughly 2.5 mill each). I think Fraser and Raymond will be easy losses, but it will be tough to fit it in without letting one more go. Frason, Gardiner, Reimer, Phaneuf, McClement are probably the most important of the bunch which leaves 2 of Ranger, Bolland and Kulemin to be signed and of those 3 I see Kulemin as the biggest slight risk (Bolland and Ranger Toronto boys).

I think Harrington from Pittsburgh would be the basis of a pretty solid deal.

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
It wouldn't be a fair value trade.
Since by doing it we'd be trying to shed salary it would narrow what we'd take. Plus Any team who takes him is no doubt thinking, "we'll give him a shot but if his game suffers further after a trade he's ahl/khl bound."

It has to be low risk for the other team, 2nd rounder makes tons of sense.

More likely, we're playoff bubble at deadline and Nonis carriers on with his "not trading FA's is like getting a rental" philosophy.

Seventeen Twos

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
if you think we should trade Kulemin you must not care a lot about hockey. He makes so many key plays a game its not even funny.

Carlyle ****ing loves him and I totally understand why.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
I don't like the idea of trading Kulemin, but with the prospects that are coming up it might be a good idea to trade him for a high-end forward prospect that our pool is lacking. I'd move him to move up in the draft or get such a prospect, since we can give this type of player a long time to develop.

To Calgary:
TOR 1st, Nikolai Kulemin, Stuart Percy, 2015 TOR 2nd

To Toronto:
CGY 1st

I hope that's a top three pick.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto

:shakehead

Yeah, but that's not what makes him valuable.

These Kulie threads keep popping up like wildfire. Shut'em down I say. Shut'em down!

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Less than he's worth to us.

Sign him to 4-5 yrs @2m and toss in a NTC to make him happy. Perfect third liner for this team.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
this isn't basketball, players need to be good on defense to succeed which Kulemin is and all those players you mentioned are not. plus, i doubt any of the players you named have higher scoring upside than Kulemin :laugh: ..

Yes, at best Leivo might score more than Kule...and even that is debatable.

If anything, Kulemin is one of our LEAST replaceable players and he should be a priority signing.

Trading him to make room for Ross, Biggs and Ashton, are you for real?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad