What's Kulemin's value if he gets traded?

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
So many posters here value a player by his Points alone....its scary

Kuli is as valuable as our best point producers because he is outstanding on D and i bet Carlyle loves him

Trade a 225lb outstanding defensive speedy forward for a pick??? The pick may, i say MAY make the NHL and certainly wont for several years and MAY never be as good as KULI...

So lose Kuli for a player in 4 years who MAY replace him on a team that is not in rebuild???

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Kulemin's value isn't really in the amount of points he scores himself. His value is more the points he helps create through solid little plays, and the points he helps prevent the other team from scoring with his defensive game.

There are a lot of teams in the league that would love to have a guy like Kulemin on their team. We need to keep him locked up if the price is reasonable enough.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Kinda weird to think that Kulemin is our current longest serving Maple Leaf on the roster that still with the team(This is his 6th season with 353 games played).

Last edited:

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
pittsburg would gladly take him to pair with malkin.

prolly give us a 1st too, kulie would easily score 25-30g with malkin while shoring up their defense.

Mad Scramble

Jan 19, 2007
Funny thing is if you look at 2 key goals scored by Toronto this year Kulemin physically separated the players from the puck along the boards directly leading to the goals they scored.

If only he was Canadian born.

This.

It would be a major blow to our club if he's not re-signed. People that don't appreciate what he brings just don't know a whole lot about hockey.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Who cares about a 1st....wont make the team for years

We lose a top 9 player whi is really good..

Last time i looked were not in a rebuild

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
pittsburg would gladly take him to pair with malkin.

prolly give us a 1st too, kulie would easily score 25-30g with malkin while shoring up their defense.

How about Kulemin for Zibanejad?

20 year old 6th. overall pick.

Hmmm?

How about Gunnarsson and Kulemin
for
Zibanejad and a 2nd.

That should make quite a few people happy here, get rid of two players many want gone.

I kind of think Ottawa would be okay with that deal, they have a great cap situation.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Kulemin is a 3rd line two way forward who is capable of scoring over 20 goals. People are too fixated on his one truly bad season. He consistently gets over 20 assists every season but he's just regaining his scoring touch. Will he score 30 again? Probably not but is he capable? Of course, his 30 goals weren't a fluke even if it was an anomaly . Before his 7 goal season he consistently got 15 goals so he has offensive upside, even in the shortened season he got nearly as many points as he did the season previous , possibly showing he's regaining some of his form from the previous years

In terms of what to expect back? At least a 2nd with a possibility of bringing in someone who plays a similar game. He's a hard guy to replace, good defensively , strong checker and can pot in quite a few goals. We should keep him

Kyle Doobas*

Kulemin's a good player, but hardly irreplaceable IMO, especially if he's looking for a significant raise or long-term stability. With so many expiring contracts this upcoming off-season, many of which would be prioritized ahead of Kulemin, I doubt we'll be able to give him any more than the $2.5M or so he's making now, and with so many bottom-six options coming up through the system over the next couple of years (Biggs, Leivo, Gauthier, Devane, Ross, Broll, etc.), I'm not sure how much sense it would make to sign him long-term. He's a good forechecker and defensive player but he doesn't really do a whole that a guy like Ashton couldn't do at half the cost once he gets more acclimatized to the NHL.

I mean, if it comes down to Kulemin @ 3M+ for 4-5 years (or something along those lines) vs. whatever we get in a trade for Kulemin + $1.5-2M in cap space + his spot adequately filled internally.....

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kulemin's a good player, but hardly irreplaceable IMO, especially if he's looking for a raise on his next contract. Anything over $2.5M would be pushing it, given his productivity. He's a good forechecker and defensive winger but we have other guys in the system who can play just about the same game at half the cost.

Why would he accept a deal like that though?

He'll be UFA, he'll have quite a few teams interested, and he's a better offensive player than someone who just signed a 7 year 5.25 per contract because he will fight. He is likely better in every area except fighting.

IMO he's gone.

Every player is replaceable.

goleafsgo88

Oct 6, 2010
Kulemin is a great player and we'd love to keep him; but how are the leafs going to do it given the cap situation? Its easy to say oh he'll sign for 2.5m but realistically speaking its his best chance at a lifetime contract. It ll be very hard to provide him such deal

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JVR(4.25) Bozak(4.2) Kessel(8)
Lupul(5.25) Kadri(2.9) Clarkson(5.25)
Kulemin(3.5) Bolland(3.5) Leivo(0.925)
McLaren(0.7) McClemment(2) Ashton(0.9)
Devane(0.6)

Rielly(1.744) Phaneuf(6.5)
Gardiner(2.5) Franson(4)
Fraser(2) Granberg(0.9)
Percy(1.076) MacWilliam(1.0875)

Reimer(5)
Bernier(2.9)

Team Payroll(66.213)
Salary Cap(70)
Cap Space(3.787)

Out: Liles Orr Gunnarsson

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
Seems Kulemin wasn't at the morning skate today. Being streamed live. We may find out very soon was his worth is. Or injured. Or???

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
How about Kulemin for Zibanejad?

20 year old 6th. overall pick.

Hmmm?

How about Gunnarsson and Kulemin
for
Zibanejad and a 2nd.

That should make quite a few people happy here, get rid of two players many want gone.

I kind of think Ottawa would be okay with that deal, they have a great cap situation.
Now way Ottawa does that. I'm a big Kule fan but he wont return a recent 6th overall pick.
And Ottawa might have tons of cap space but they also have an owner with financial problems and are right at and maybe a little over their internal cap. Its a large part of the reason why zbad was sent down.

Kyle Doobas*

Why would he accept a deal like that though?
Well, that was kinda my point. :P

With nearly our entire bottom six unsigned through next season, limited cap space and a number of young bottom six wingers looking to make the jump soon.... I'm expecting Kulemin to probably be the odd man out rather than Bolland/McClement.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
I'll always defend the usefulness of players like Kulemin and McClement but I don't have delusions about their trade value especially when the offensive numbers are so underwhelming for the cap hit. A 2nd round pick would be a terrific, and pointless return, for Kulemin. For a playoff team like the Leafs are hoping to be, Kulemin is the type of foot soldier you keep whether or not you can sign him next summer.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Probably a Gaustad-like return. 1st from a playoff contending team. Theres a lot of fits for him and maybe he gets a prospect+2nd. As for his importance to the team: its replaceable. Theres a lot of bottom 6 guys hitting the market this year and as great as Kulie is, he's a top 6 forward with skill and graet defensive presence, he is going to be a commodity and signing him will take up a lot of cap space. That isn't good when you consider he'll be the 3rd line wing. It's easier to just sign someone like Downie or Moss or Eaves or Bertuzzi or Winnik or Steen, etc. etc. etc. there's a lot of options. You could also just let Leivo/Ashton take his place and save cap which is great when you consider the holes (1C, 1D) the team still needs to fill.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
It's not as high as it once was
This trade deadline Wil be tough
A lot of cap matched moves where teams will wat trades with similar cap value

naturalnumbas

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto
He's a decent 3rd liner, nothing flashy but he's the kind of guy playoff teams might want to add for depth. Which makes me ask, why would we trade him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad