OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Vintage Vinyl in Ford's, NJ and Bleeker Bob's in the Village. Sadly Bob's closed not too long ago.

Princeton record exchange is a great place I've been going to for over 40 years.

Go during hockey season. Catch a women's game at Baker rink in the afternoon, buy some records at PRE, eat an amazing cheesesteak at Hoagie Haven, followed by a few beers at Triumph Brewing Co., then back to Baker for the men's game. That was my routine for many years :nod:

As a kid got into hockey going to Baker rink. Family had season tickets. Great place for a game, highly recommend checking it out.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Vintage Vinyl in Ford's, NJ and Bleeker Bob's in the Village. Sadly Bob's closed not too long ago.

Princeton record exchange is a great place I've been going to for over 40 years.

Go during hockey season. Catch a women's game at Baker rink in the afternoon, buy some records at PRE, eat an amazing cheesesteak at Hoagie Haven, followed by a few beers at Triumph Brewing Co., then back to Baker for the men's game. That was my routine for many years :nod:

As a kid got into hockey going to Baker rink. Family had season tickets. Great place for a game, highly recommend checking it out.
Can also recommend all of the above. Heck, start in the morning, and open with brunch at PJ's Pancake House!

(Also, some good restaurants on Witherspoon Street/in Palmer Square if you're looking for something a little fancier for lunch/dinner.)

Reactions: Bluenote13

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Can also recommend all of the above. Heck, start in the morning, and open with brunch at PJ's Pancake House!

(Also, some good restaurants on Witherspoon Street/in Palmer Square if you're looking for something a little fancier for lunch/dinner.)

Nice, PJ's is another good one. And Winberies in Palmer square, great place, known for their ribs and burgers. Then Halo Pub for expensive but delicious ice cream.

Great thing is that it's only 50 minutes to Princeton Junction by train, then 10 minute train to the university campus and the rest is all wiithin walking distance.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When I was in the Coast Guard in the 80's I was in Bleecker Bob's all the time. I would say that at least a third of my record collection came out of that place. The owner was a moody motherf***er though.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Speaking of vinyl, I have a B&O Beogram RX2 in nice condition lying around, which I need to get a phono preamp for. Basically “getting started” with this, just need something that gets the job done, RCA In/Out, stereo jack/USB Out would be a nice bonus. Need to save cash for actual records too. Any reliable brand or models? I know most turntables these days have the preamps built in.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just did a lengthy play-through of The Ramones.

I’ve never spent a ton of time listening to them. My first thoughts of their early work were that they remind me of a more aggressive, edgier, east coast version of The Beach Boys.

That was not how I was expecting to feel.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Just did a lengthy play-through of The Ramones.

I’ve never spent a ton of time listening to them. My first thoughts of their early work were that they remind me of a more aggressive, edgier, east coast version of The Beach Boys.

That was not how I was expecting to feel.

EPIX did a 4 part series on punk rock...since watching it the other day i've been streaming alot of the ramones, sex pistols, the clash, iggy pop, misfits, etc

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
@aufheben

Here are some of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab audiophile reissues. Just a sampling.
cuqdxyg.jpg

A couple of imports.
gSa7xdc.jpg

Depeche Mode SACD manufactured in Germany. Genesis SACD made in Japan.

Do you know if either the PS4 or Xb1 can play back SACD? I got some new speakers but with everything streaming these days it's really hard to give them a critical listen.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Do you know if either the PS4 or Xb1 can play back SACD? I got some new speakers but with everything streaming these days it's really hard to give them a critical listen.
My guess is they cannot. SACDs require hardware makers to use dedicated drives for them.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

My guess is they cannot. SACDs require hardware makers to use dedicated drives for them.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is a backdoor method for playing SACD's through a PS3 (involving early firmware or something,) but this is not the case with the PS4 or Xbox One. I can't say that as fact since the last console I owned was a Nintendo GameCube, but I have been ripping a few SACDs to FLAC over the last couple weeks, and saw the topic mentioned.

That said, should you ever need to convert or archive your SACDs, these two programs below by Sonore are great utilities. Development has been closed for a few years now but they work great for their purpose.

Sonore - DSD2FLAC - converts DSD files to FLAC
Sonore - ISO2DSD - converts ISO files to DSD

How Sony's PlayStation 3 could save your SACD collection | gramophone.co.uk

Xbox One (Xbox One S)
Playback audio
Dolby Digital
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
Dolby Digital+
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
Dolby TrueHD
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
Dolby TrueHD (bitstream)
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
DTS
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
DTS-HD
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
DTS-HD MA
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
DTS-HD MA (bitstream)
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
PCM
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
WMA
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
MP3
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
OGG
checkbox_no_alt.gif
No
AAC
checkbox_yes.gif
Yes
SACD
checkbox_no_alt.gif
No
DVD Audio
checkbox_no_alt.gif
No
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll always love the old stuff for nostalgia and innovation, but musically/technically this is world class stuff from Anthrax.

Really demonstrates their maturity over the years as musicians.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Imagine 4 Disc Version

Amazing to hear takes without the Wall of Sound approach. There are at least a couple that are as good, maybe even slightly better than the final album versions.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
My daughter (11 on Wednesday) is becoming a rock chick. She asked to go to the Godsmack show here in July, and also wants to see Sabaton when they tour in the fall. They’re in Atlanta on a Sunday night, so no. Although, they’re at the PlayStation Theatre in the city on Saturday, November 2. I’m thinking about it...

Reactions: Desdichado30

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My daughter (11 on Wednesday) is becoming a rock chick. She asked to go to the Godsmack show here in July, and also wants to see Sabaton when they tour in the fall. They’re in Atlanta on a Sunday night, so no. Although, they’re at the PlayStation Theatre in the city on Saturday, November 2. I’m thinking about it...

My two youngest come in and regularly demand that I play rock and roll. And by rock and roll they typically mean hard rock or metal.

Considering one of them is only two, I think I know where this is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad