OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Went through Pet Sounds Sessions and Smile Sessions from the Beach Boys.

Good stuff, but if I hear one more take of "Heroes and Villains" I am going to riot.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Went through Pet Sounds Sessions and Smile Sessions from the Beach Boys.

Good stuff, but if I hear one more take of "Heroes and Villains" I am going to riot.
Pet Sounds is great. If I am not wrong, that is what the Beatles modeled Revolver after, no?

To this day, Sloop John B is one of my favorite songs.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York

I watch this video every once in a while, and it never stops being so damn cool. When James slowly steps back away from the mic at 0:46 to let the crowd take over and to just hear how loud they get gives me chills. I'd love to be able to go to a show like that one day.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I watch this video every once in a while, and it never stops being so damn cool. When James slowly steps back away from the mic at 0:46 to let the crowd take over and to just hear how loud they get gives me chills. I'd love to be able to go to a show like that one day.
See Metallica next time they tour. Amazing.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Saw Foals in concert a few weeks ago. Great live show, some heavier songs.

New stuff can be a bit quieter, but man can they rock, too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pet Sounds is great. If I am not wrong, that is what the Beatles modeled Revolver after, no?

To this day, Sloop John B is one of my favorite songs.

Rubber Soul inspired Pet Sounds, which in turn inspired Sgt. Pepper.

Smile was also being worked on around the same time and Wilson supposedly felt that whichever sound debuted first (Smile or Sgt. Pepper) was probably going to win that battle. As it turns out, it was a single, Strawberry Fields, which ultimately was the turning point where Wilson felt The Beatles beat him to navigating the direction he wanted to go with his album. Combine that with his drug use, mental health challenges, and other factors, and the rest is history.

An official release of Smile (or close to what it would've been) was released about 10 years back and I thought it was great. On it's own, it stands up as an awesome album. But you can also feel the direction Wilson wanted to take it. Had he seen the concept all the way through, it probably would've ranked right up there with Pet Sounds and some of the greatest albums of that era --- if not all time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ahh yes. Correct
An official release of Smile (or close to what it would've been) was released about 10 years back and I thought it was great. On it's own, it stands up as an awesome album. But you can also feel the direction Wilson wanted to take it. Had he seen the concept all the way through, it probably would've ranked right up there with Pet Sounds and some of the greatest albums of that era --- if not all time.
Smile is a great album.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn

Smile was also being worked on around the same time and Wilson supposedly felt that whichever sound debuted first (Smile or Sgt. Pepper) was probably going to win that battle. As it turns out, it was a single, Strawberry Fields, which ultimately was the turning point where Wilson felt The Beatles beat him to navigating the direction he wanted to go with his album. Combine that with his drug use, mental health challenges, and other factors, and the rest is history.

To this day, "Surf's Up" still floors me every time I listen to it. Brian's thoughtful melodies and Van Dyke Parks ephemeral imagery are tailor-made for one another.

Reactions: Edge

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Seeing Godsmack July 16th in Charlotte. Glad they came off the festival rosters and are doing their own thing this summer.

Sabaton November 2nd in New York (Playstation Theater).

Speaking of which, anyone been to the Playstation Theater?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Listening to some Bryter Layter right now, because Pink Moon is way too ****ing heavy :laugh:

The contrast between these two records is pretty crazy.

That is hilariously awesome .

Everyone I know in music HATES Bryter but ADORES Pink Moon.

Bryter all the way.

F’n Poor Boy?! Paul Harris just smoking those tracks. Woof. Beautiful record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad