OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Ice cream is my new thing. I’ve made two batches in the last week as well as done countless hours of research on custard and cream while I should’ve been working.

For our wedding we got a Nostalgia ice cream maker. It’s excellent because it’s electric and massive (makes up to a gallon), and because it’s old fashioned (ice and salt on the outside of the spinning canister) it gets cold faster than almost any other commercial machine, which is a recipe for super creamy ice cream.

It’s not excellent because every time I want to make ice cream I have to go get a bag of ice and a thing of salt.

If this becomes more than a kick and I start doing a lot more batches, I will upgrade to a fancy self-refrigerated machine even if it’s a slight downtick in ice cream quality.
I have the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment. I haven't used it as much as I would like, but it's been a lot of fun when I have. But yeah, you have to store it in the freezer before using it, and it's big, so finding space can be a challenge sometimes. Have you been storing the ice cream you made? What have you stored it in if so? I never quite found anything that was working great the few batches I made.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment. I haven't used it as much as I would like, but it's been a lot of fun when I have. But yeah, you have to store it in the freezer before using it, and it's big, so finding space can be a challenge sometimes. Have you been storing the ice cream you made? What have you stored it in if so? I never quite found anything that was working great the few batches I made.

https://www.amazon.com/25ct-White-Frozen-Dessert-Containers/dp/B00381DIR0

I bought these from Amazon. A little plastic wrap over the top then put the lid on. Perfect for sharing - my wife took a pint of our latest batch to work today to share with coworkers.

My only advice with the prefreeze attachments is make sure they get VERY frozen first. The key to creamy ice cream is as colder an environment as possible, and unfortunately among the three major machine types (pre-freeze, ice & salt/old fashioned, self-refrigerated), pre-freeze tends to have the most trouble. Self-refrigerated and ice/salt have more ways to take heat away (self-refrigerated is obvious, ice and salt you just keep adding more, plus very cold to start with). With pre-freeze you’re stuck - it better be cold enough at the beginning to make it all the way through the churn, otherwise you’ll end up with soup and can’t use the canister for another 24-48 hrs.

I like my Nostalgia one as it’s ice/salt. If I ever upgrade it will be to a fancy self-refrigerated. Unfortunately those will set you back $200-400. I need to prove to myself this is more than a temporary obsession before I drop that kind of coin haha.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Cool, I'll have to pick some of those up to try for storage. Didn't really have any issues with the consistency when making it the couple of times I did. Definitely had more of an issue with the storage. Think those will help with that.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
A saltado. This was all I ate yesterday.

C2BD1EFD-E350-4096-A010-21B17D8072F8.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad