OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I ate some bbq in Missouri a couple days ago. It was a little disappointing. The place has a good rep and they advertise their ribs as "St. Louis style" but I've had better spare ribs a dozen times. They weren't bad, they just weren't memorable.

I bet it wasn’t Pappy’s in STL. ;)

Also, STL style is just the cut. It’s the spare rib with the tips and skirt cut off and squared up. It’s the most common cut for spare ribs.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Anyone been to Skylight in Ayden? I’ve been told it’s the best BBQ in N.C., thinking about making a side trip on my way to OBX.
Haven’t been to the Skylight Inn yet but that guy’s grandson started a joint called Sam Jones Whole Hog BBQ in Winterville, NC. I’ve been there several times and it’s outstanding. Bought some of their sweet bbq sauce and it’s been legit on country style ribs, pork chops, and pulled pork sammies. Definitely recommend Sam Jones, you can even grab a beer.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Anyone been to Skylight in Ayden? I’ve been told it’s the best BBQ in N.C., thinking about making a side trip on my way to OBX.

I've had food from there before. It was okay but it had been sitting in a fridge for a day so it wasn't fresh.

I like Wilbers in Goldsboro, a must stop if you're ever headed for New Bern and/or Morehead City.

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I've only been to Rendezvous once, but based on that visit, I don't get the hype. I've gotten ribs from gas stations that had more flavor.

IMO, it’s a little like Arthur Bryant’s in KC. It has the name, the history, but there are far better options. I really liked the ribs at Corky’s in Memphis.

My favorite ribs are in my backyard, off of my smoker.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
All I know right now is there's some goddamn hero at the generic cereal factory putting granola clusters in the fake Raisin bran and fake Lucky Charms marshmellows in the fake Cocoa Pebbles and I would like to find this goddamn hero and kiss them with a gentle intensity which rivals the first time I kissed my wife.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad