OT: Whatcha Eatin' - Second Course

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Looks good to me - aside from “not being made in Italy” what’s wrong with them?
It's not a question of geography, I ate a bad pizza in Naples too, it can happen. In the specific case, assuming that BBA has definitely posted good and interesting things and that I respect those who have a real passion for cooking, which he seems to have, I don't understand the sense of basically killing a pizza with a mozzarella / cheese pour. I am sure that this is not a "quatto formaggi" and I also wonder what the other ingredients are because there is certainly more in the second! The crust looks promising to me but I am one who eats the crust even when burned!

I conclude by saying that pizza wants beer but if I drink wine I'm happy all the same !!

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
What sort of wine does one usually pair with pizza?

Gotta be one of those fancy ones that come with straw on the bottle?

Actually, I like a Montepulciano--1--because it is good and 2--because it is a lot of fun to say. It is not generally very dry or very fancy but it drinks well. Like this one Zaccagnini Montepulciano D'Abruzzo

However BBA has it right--whatever you have will work.

Reactions: bleedgreen

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
And on the topic of cooking--BBA, you say you have a sous vide--what happens if you like your steak rare and those you normally would eat steak with like theirs medium rare to medium? That is honestly my biggest hold up to getting a sous vide currently....

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And on the topic of cooking--BBA, you say you have a sous vide--what happens if you like your steak rare and those you normally would eat steak with like theirs medium rare to medium? That is honestly my biggest hold up to getting a sous vide currently....
Hmm, I’ve never had that situation, but what I’d probably do is cook all of he steaks to rare, then finish cooking the medium rare ones in a frying pan, on the grill or in the oven.

kinda defeats the purpose of a soup vide though.

Reactions: DaveG

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

Sous vide at 115 till internal temp then sear it on a very hot (500) grill or skillet for 2 minutes (depending on thickness) to 125. The others sear a bit longer till they temp at desired doneness. The sous vide is awesome for marinades. This little guy is your friend.

upload_2021-8-24_14-47-41.png

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's not a question of geography, I ate a bad pizza in Naples too, it can happen. In the specific case, assuming that BBA has definitely posted good and interesting things and that I respect those who have a real passion for cooking, which he seems to have, I don't understand the sense of basically killing a pizza with a mozzarella / cheese pour.

That's fair. In the US, most pizza has pretty much always had a lot of cheese on it, but I could definitely do with less. It's just what my family (and most) are accustomed to. It's not meant to be "authentic Italian" and as long as the family likes it, I'm happy. It was Mozzarella and Parmagiana.

I'm open to trying almost anything so I'll try to do a more traditional style next time. Any recommendations?

I also wonder what the other ingredients are because there is certainly more in the second!

First pizza was for my wife and I (she doesn't eat much meat). It had sauce, fresh basil, fresh garlic and cheese.
Second pizza was for my kids. It had sauce, sausage, onions, fresh basil and cheese. They also like Pepperoni on their pizza, but I didn't have any.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's fair. In the US, most pizza has pretty much always had a lot of cheese on it, but I could definitely do with less. It's just what my family (and most) are accustomed to. It's not meant to be "authentic Italian" and as long as the family likes it, I'm happy. It was Mozzarella and Parmagiana.

I'm open to trying almost anything so I'll try to do a more traditional style next time. Any recommendations?

First pizza was for my wife and I (she doesn't eat much meat). It had sauce, fresh basil, fresh garlic and cheese.
Second pizza was for my kids. It had sauce, sausage, onions, fresh basil and cheese. They also like Pepperoni on their pizza, but I didn't have any.

If you're in Winston Salem any time soon i need to introduce you to a place here called mission pizza. Traditional Neapolitan style place though the pizza options are quite expanded beyond that. But anyway, limited amounts of cheese added to the pizza, it actually really let's the sauce stand out on the pie there. In a way it's interesting seeing such a different (and imo better) take on it, most places let the cheese and toppings be the star of the show.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We have em down here too. The problem is it's really close to chucks which is amazing.

...uhh are they still in business. I haven't been downtown in over a yr.
I believe Chucks closed permanently a while back. There’s a Bad Daddy’s near me that’s still open (Brier Creek)

Reactions: Stickpucker

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I believe Chucks closed permanently a while back. There’s a Bad Daddy’s near me that’s still open (Brier Creek)

So weird they closed Chucks when it shares a back end with Beasley's. You know things are bad when Ashley Christensen has to close a restaurant. I'll miss the comeback sauce that was 11/10.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So weird they closed Chucks when it shares a back end with Beasley's. You know things are bad when Ashley Christensen has to close a restaurant. I'll miss the comeback sauce that was 11/10.
IIRC, she said some of the menu items would transfer over to Beasley’s, and Beasley’s would take over the space. Not sure if that was the shared kitchen or seating area or both. Haven’t been down there since.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad