OT: Whatcha Drinkin' Part II: The Sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You also can't buy off sale booze on Sunday in Minnesota.

One of the few benefits of living on the North Dakota border is being able to go into Fargo at 1:30am to get a bottle of whatever if I want something to drink after a very long night.

Minnesota needs to get with the times as far as booze goes.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The no booze on Sunday law is one of the stupidest things ever. Especially because you can buy 3/2 beer on Sundays.

And the stuff about liquor stores not wanting to be open is BS. Let them be open on Sundays, and the ones who want to stay closed on Sundays can make that decision and just lose out on some Sunday sales.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
My general rule for glassware is that if it's under 8%, pint glass. Over, tulip it is. I really know what's the acceptable practice though. It's just generally what I do at home...

Typically it's not about percentage but rather type of beer.
Going from left to right:

1.) Krug -Typically used for Lagers

2.) Pokal - Pilsners

3.) Tulip - For Ales

4.) Wheat Beer Glass - With a wheat beer, you'll want to use this glass. You'll want to have about 1.5" of head for maximum flavor.

5.) Snifter - For your aromatic beers (IPAs and the like).

6.) Strange Glass - Kolsch or Alts

Not directed at you, just posted the general "rules".

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Happy IPA Day everyone!

I'm celebrating with one of my all time favourites: Brewdog Hardcore IPA. Highly recommended. Cheers!

brewdog-hardcore-ipa.jpg

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
The no booze on Sunday law is one of the stupidest things ever. Especially because you can buy 3/2 beer on Sundays.

And the stuff about liquor stores not wanting to be open is BS. Let them be open on Sundays, and the ones who want to stay closed on Sundays can make that decision and just lose out on some Sunday sales.

Regarding the bolded, I used to think this was the only thing holding it up as well. Apparently there's more to it than that. I guess it's the Teamsters Union that's dragging their heels in the sand.

They don't want to be on the hook for an extra day of deliveries, etc. And since they're one of -- if not THE strongest union in the US, it's unlikely to get done. If liquor stores try using another courier service, there'll be hell to pay. Especially with the national, widely known chains, they would welcome Sunday sales.. And so would I.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Minnesota prohibits alcohol sale on Sundays (except for bars/restaurants). Alcohol content is limited to 3.2% ABV except through licensed liquor stores, which close at 8-9 pm depending on the city (rarely 10 pm). Some cities also will only do municipal liquor stores, banning sale through private businesses.

It's antiquated and draconian policy, to say the least.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Minnesota prohibits alcohol sale on Sundays (except for bars/restaurants). Alcohol content is limited to 3.2% ABV except through licensed liquor stores, which close at 8-9 pm depending on the city (rarely 10 pm). Some cities also will only do municipal liquor stores, banning sale through private businesses.

Ahh, so 3/2 simply means 3.2% ABV, gotcha. In Finland we have:

- alcohol content limited to 4.7% ABV outside of Alko, state alcohol monopoly
- alcohol sold only 9 am - 9 pm
- Alko is open only until 8 pm, 6 pm on Saturdays and closed on Sundays

I wish we could just have it like they do in civilized countries, such as Spain, where I've spent some time recently. There all alcohol is on sale in any grocery store. Everything from your crappy bulk lager to whisky and good wine. That's how it should be done, just have beer, wine and spirits as a normal part of any grocery selection. Somehow people manage to live, eat and drink just fine, even more pleasant than here, what a shocker...

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Regarding the bolded, I used to think this was the only thing holding it up as well. Apparently there's more to it than that. I guess it's the Teamsters Union that's dragging their heels in the sand.

They don't want to be on the hook for an extra day of deliveries, etc. And since they're one of -- if not THE strongest union in the US, it's unlikely to get done. If liquor stores try using another courier service, there'll be hell to pay. Especially with the national, widely known chains, they would welcome Sunday sales.. And so would I.

Didn't know about the teamster stuff, thanks.

But still, you'd think liquor stores could still be open on Sundays. Just have a little more delivered on Saturday :laugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

it would be kind of awesome if anyone caught violating the law in this regard would be subject to a fine of no more than 4 head of cattle, no fewer than 3 sheep. It sucks because impromptu BBQs always pop up on Sundays. :(

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
In case you didn't have to put up with it on your titter feed yesterday...

Black Rye IPA at Dangerous Man Brewing
BudywRBIIAAtTng.jpg

Chocolate Milk Stout at Dangerous Man Brewing
Bud1WIfIcAA9HUr.jpg

13th Task Golden IPA at Dangerous Man Brewing (a Fulton/DM colab)
Bud1ieaIcAAXuRL.jpg

Flip Switch IPA + flight of a wheat, ale, pale ale, stout at Tin Whiskers Brewing
BueRkxZIcAIozpt.jpg

I love our Brewing scene. This morning; not so much...

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
In case you didn't have to put up with it on your titter feed yesterday...

Black Rye IPA at Dangerous Man Brewing
BudywRBIIAAtTng.jpg

Chocolate Milk Stout at Dangerous Man Brewing
Bud1WIfIcAA9HUr.jpg

13th Task Golden IPA at Dangerous Man Brewing (a Fulton/DM colab)
Bud1ieaIcAAXuRL.jpg

Flip Switch IPA + flight of a wheat, ale, pale ale, stout at Tin Whiskers Brewing
BueRkxZIcAIozpt.jpg

I love our Brewing scene. This morning; not so much...

I hit Tin Whiskers last week, it was solid. They had a really cool space.

Have you been to Flat Earth's new location? They don't have their tap room set up yet, so instead they offer unlimited free samples to get people in the door for their growler sales.

They get very generous Saturday night. I drank there for like 3 hours for free last Saturday. Just BSed with the head brewer who was manning the bar. It was great.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
It's a brown ale kit from Northern Brewer. It's only our second time brewing so playing it safe. Our first go around was a pale ale and actually turned out really well. I was surprised.

One of these days I hope to get to the point where I can experiment a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad