OT: Whatcha Drinkin' Part II: The Sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Having a wheat beer, lime long drink and a Heineken. Two free days ahead of me. Love it.

Went about a month with no booze to try and lose some weight. Didn't lose any weight. Drank beer last weekend. Was fantastic.

Underrated post.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Finally 21 so I went ahead and bought by own first booze.

Got some Svedka vodka because it was twice as much liquid as my traditional Reyka for $5 less. Might as well try something new anyway.

Also got some Leinies. Orange Shandy. Not the biggest beer fan and I feel like I have to drink it fast before it loses the hint of orange in there but eh. Not bad.

Wanted summer shandy but they were out.

Recommendations for a guy who isn't a fan of beer but is kinda feeling like drinking some anyway?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Recommendations for a guy who isn't a fan of beer but is kinda feeling like drinking some anyway?

I'd keep exploring the fruity beers like you're doing. Summer Shandy, Orange Shandy, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat... Seasonal beers are always fun to taste - especially Fall beers with their pumpkin and cinnamon flavors. I keep myself amused by trying bizarre beers whenever I get a chance. I've heard the Blueberry Grain Belt at the State Fair is pretty good.

Stay away from extremely hoppy beers until you're more accustomed to them. Took me a while to appreciate beers like Surly Furious.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
congrats fubar the big 21! im not a beer drinker but my fridge is stocked with 16oz MGD lt's , if your ever near rosedale total wine has kona longboards, big wave ,& firerock.(build your own 6 pack) also nothing wrong with heineken. stronger beer get a mickey's 40 oz bottle!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

You probably won't want to dive right into the craft beer world, as they are generally more hoppy and full flavored. I'd recommend, like Minnesota said, catching the tail end of some of the summer themed beers. They are generally pretty tame, and focus more on refreshment and taste.

After that, I think a good stepping stone into the craft beer world is something like a Summit EPA. Any Pale Ale, really. They tend to not be super hoppy.

If you really want to get into it, check out Beer Advocate. this page has pretty much any style you could imagine. You can click on it, it gives you a summary of the beer, and some of the top rated beers in that category.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

You're on the right path. Sticking with good beers that have fruit flavors or pair well with fruit is a nice way to start. That's how I got my mom to like beer. Blue Moon with an orange slice.

Keeping on with that, most beer aficionados tend to favor seasonal selections. In the summer, wheat beers and shandies are fantastic. Light, citrus flavors, easy to drink, refreshing. Leine's makes a lot of good drinkable beers, Summer Shandy, Orange Shandy, and Honey Weiss. Blue Moon and Shock Top are pretty decent and easy to find.

In the fall, the Oktoberfest roll in. They are more nutty, malted, and can be a bit sweet. Sometimes you'll see pumpkin beers too. Reminds me of fall and football season. I really like the Sam Adams and Summit Oktobers, and an easy to drink beer in this style is Newcastle, which was my gateway beer.

In the winter, I like brown ales. They have flavors of chocolate, coffee, caramel, vanilla, roasted nuts, etc. Surly Bender is available year round but is this style. Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is probably the best seasonal that time of year, IMO.

Then in the spring, turns back to hoppy ales with citrus notes. Very fresh tasting. Hopslam comes out around this time of year.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
okay, my wife generally dislikes beer but she liked Farm Girl Saison from local-ish Lift Bridge brewery. Not a challenging beer at all. Easy entry into "good" beer. Really found that a lot of non-beer drinkers will stick with wheat beers if they're over and participating in social drinking. nothing wrong with that.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'll enjoy a nice wheat beer when I'm not craving an extremely strong-flavored beer, if that makes sense. I enjoy hoppy beers from time to time, but sometimes my taste buds are in the mood for a mellower experience.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Went to Excelsior Brewing Co. before dinner tonight for a few beers.

w7j7cy.jpg

The Bridge Jumper IPA was very good. Very bold, quite a bit of hoppy flavor, so one was enough for me. Had a couple XLCR Pale Ales (pictured) that were also very good.

Cool place. Would recommend!

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Breaking the mold with a bottle of Corbières, great budget wine from the south of France. As tasty as Châteauneuf du Pape but a fourth of the price. A decent one should cost less than $10.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Went to Excelsior Brewing Co. before dinner tonight for a few beers.

w7j7cy.jpg

The Bridge Jumper IPA was very good. Very bold, quite a bit of hoppy flavor, so one was enough for me. Had a couple XLCR Pale Ales (pictured) that were also very good.

Cool place. Would recommend!

That is next on my agenda.

My brother in Ohio brought me Fatheads, and I rounded it out with some Minnesota IPA I hadn't tried yet.

Mankato Haymaker - surprisingly goot, nice deep hops burn with this one.

Badger Hill Traitor IPA - different hop profile, uses Aussie hops I guess. pretty good.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Time for pumpkin beer.

Has anyone seen Southern Tier's Pumpking in-store? It's one of my favorites, but I've only ever had it in restaurants/bars.

Also, anybody have an opinion on New Belgium's Pumpkick?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Time for pumpkin beer.

Has anyone seen Southern Tier's Pumpking in-store? It's one of my favorites, but I've only ever had it in restaurants/bars.

Also, anybody have an opinion on New Belgium's Pumpkick?

I had Pumpking in a bottle the other day, not sure where my buddy picked it up at. I'll send him a text.

I personally wasn't a fan. Had a very liquor-esque flavor. Its certainly possible it got spoiled somewhere along the distribution chain, so I'd try it again. Just didn't sit right.

I had Mummy train from flat earth recently which was solid. Good body, had a hint of ginger/cinnamon.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Went to the liquor store a couple days ago and was told I need to wait longer for Fall beer to be distributed.

Don't tell me how to live my life random liquor store clerk. :rant:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Last Saturday me and a buddy decided to make our seasonal beers. Made two different batches. A Yam and a pumpkin beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad