What would you prefer this year: 8th or 16th

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
One more crummy year where not only do we get a Top 3 pick but this year, we need to stockpile as many draft picks as possible. But yes, we need a stud for the 16 draft

In 16-17, we'll probably see a lot of rookies on our team and hopefully we begin working our way out of the basement.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
For that to happen, Kadri will need to produce at a near-PPG pace and Holland ramps up production to 60-point. It will require Rielly breaking out at +40-points and Gardiner further developing his offensive game. The complementary guys like Panik and the rest will need to produce well as well.

Would I be disappointed? Definitely not. It's not like we can't move our complementary and older pieces ( pretty sure Dion would rebound) for futures and grab a top 10 pick to boot.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Calgary was better off for getting into the playoffs than tanking this past season due to the growth and development of their young players while still sticking to the rebuild and acquiring picks

We don't know that yet. What if they only flirt with making the playoffs for he next few years? This is very, very possible. Do they now have enough high end talent to go to the next level?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We don't know that yet. What if they only flirt with making the playoffs for he next few years? This is very, very possible. Do they now have enough high end talent to go to the next level?

If they did much worse, you wouldn't speak of Giordano, Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie etc the same way either. It's a question of:

1) development of existing assets with some decent new ones

or

2) no development of existing assets with some good new ones.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Everyone should be voting for another top 3 pick IMO

Playoff experience doesn't mean **** when you have the same core (minus Kessel) that choked against the Bruins, then followed up by missing the playoffs. I was hoping the team would rally around that experience and play their ***** off the next season. Didn't happen. Confirmed what most suspected. The teams got no backbone. No heart.

Playoff experience also doesn't mean **** when you've got a bunch of guys playing on 1 year contracts.

It's not like this team would be carried into the playoffs by anyone worth keeping either (Rielly is the exception). Most of our prospects will be playing in other leagues. Let the Leafs bottom out and snag another blue chipper.

This isn't even close

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I chose 8th.

1) it's sports, we should ALWAYS want to win.
2) it would mean in all probability that Bernier had a very good to great year, solidifying him as our good #1.
3) it probably means one of Kadri or Reilly has a great year. Maybe both
4) it means our team played exceptionally well in a defined system with Babcock
5) ...and we have all that with Marner still to play with us.

Winning over losing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
8th....never understood why anyone would fantasize about losing. :laugh:

IMO, I don't think it will be either but somewhere in between.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Since it looks like the plan is to move some of the 1 year contracts at the TD, a playoff spot, or even in contention, probably derails that plan. (I know some will argue that you sell regardless, but IMO that is not something that happens)

In that scenario, they are then stuck with pending UFA's that they have to let walk for nothing, as they don't fit in to the longer term plans, which impacts the ability to add draft picks or prospects. (Which appears to be the short term plan, at least)

Now I am definitely anti "tank", but if the only choices are 8th or 16th, I'd have to go with 16th.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I rather have a competitive team in 3 years than another middling loser team marred by mediocrity for another decade (see Jays).

Which honestly have little to do with the question.

We could just as well become good by acquiring a quantity of picks that we use to get quality by great drafting, and then use great development to get the most out of those picks.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's an odd time because the team we will ice this year will likely have a small number of players that we expect to play a large role on the team of the future that we expect to succeed with

Even if we do make the playoffs with this mish mash of talent, it doesn't say much about the future of the core group that we are trying to assemble

Sometimes odd groups end up having success. Bernier could stand on his head. Guys on one year deals could have turnaround years. Some key young guys could take a huge step.

Overall i still think this team needs another 2-3 drafts like this last one. You want to get to a place where you have multiple players in the key spots fighting for jobs. That's when you will see real success. Problem is its impossible to tell pro players and coaches to tank. you can have a mediocre team play over their heads and hurt the development of the organization. It's part of the reason building a winning organization is so difficult. In this league is very easy to be 8th in the conference one year and 13th the next.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I subscribe to the "gaining experience through the playoffs" thing but can we have one bottom three finish before we start turning it around?

I agree with the experience thing, except 75% of the team won't be there in a year or two so it's really a wasted opportunity.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
One thing i think fans will be extremely disappointed about is the leafs unwillingness to tank. I firmly believe the objective is to rebuild the organization not necessarily the team. They will want to be a team that makes the playoffs for the next 20 years, rather then go balls out to capitalize on a 2-4 year window. Babcock, Shanny, Lou will all want this team to make the playoffs to instil a winning culture. Losing will not be tolerated.

This team has been playing for the name on the back instead of the crest on the front for too long.

The team has a lot of young prospects and building blocks. Enough to see the organization make the turn. It all comes down to development now.

Nylander
Marner
Rielly
Kadri
Brown
Bibeau

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Which honestly have little to do with the question.

We could just as well become good by acquiring a quantity of picks that we use to get quality by great drafting, and then use great development to get the most out of those picks.

The question was for THIS season. We can do all the stuff you talking about starting from the next season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The question was for THIS season. We can do all the stuff you talking about starting from the next season.

Sure, or we do it for this season.

Ending up with a mid-round pick doesn't mean one necessarily is mired in mediocrity, just like getting a top pick doesn't mean one necessarily will get a competitive team.

One route leads to better chance for a good prospect but worse development, the other to worse chance for a good prospect but better development.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Sure, or we do it for this season.

Ending up with a mid-round pick doesn't mean one necessarily is mired in mediocrity, just like getting a top pick doesn't mean one necessarily will get a competitive team.

One route leads to better chance for a good prospect but worse development, the other to worse chance for a good prospect but better development.

Yes, but there is absolutely no time ticking on this team. All the premium talent is very young and they can use an extra year of experience in the Marlies. There is finally an appetite from the fans and the management alike to take it slow. They should take advantage of that fully. Who knows when we will have another chance like that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes, but there is absolutely no time ticking on this team. All the premium talent is very young and they can use an extra year of experience in the Marlies. There is finally an appetite from the fans and the management alike to take it slow. They should take advantage of that fully. Who knows when we will have another chance like that.

Oh I don't necessarily disagree. The only way I actually prefer a good season is if its due to Bernier, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner and eventually other youngsters stepping up big time. That would be great.

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
It depends.

Does the leafs making the playoffs mean that Morgan Rielly becomes an elite francise level defensemen? Bernier solidifies himself as an elite starter? Nylander gets called up and looks like Bure?

How do the leafs make the playoffs exactly? is it on the backs of these one off UFA's or is it because all our prospects miraculously break out?

If its the later, I don't see why thats a bad thing

sorry I think I am one of the few still struggling with the concept of tank nation as much as I would love adding Matthews to our pool

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
When does this stop? I'd rather reach 8th and squeak in the playoffs then land a the bottom of the league and draft a player that could help us in a few years if he develops the right way.

How about next year when the next shiny toy is coming in at potential #1 will we want to tank for them too?

Sometimes you need a few years of barely making the playoffs to get that expereince in the young guys you have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad