What would you prefer this year: 8th or 16th

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I thought this would be really intriguing. Any other year the answer would be painfully obvious: as Leafs fans, we're always desperate for the playoffs and almost always fail to reach them. But it may be different this year. What would you prefer: Leafs finish 16th in the east, possibly last in the league...or, by some divine miracle, we make the playoffs as the 8th seed.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I subscribe to the "gaining experience through the playoffs" thing but can we have one bottom three finish before we start turning it around?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I want the Leafs to get the highest draft pick possible, but it wouldn't surprise me if the team overachieves under Babcock's tutelage and flirts with a playoff spot. Good thing the draft lottery rules change next year.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I rather we get a chance of getting Matthews and Chychrun before we start competing for the playoffs

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I am making the assumption that you mean "hold the second wild card" (i.e., have the last playoff spot) when you say "finish 8th". Because it is possible in the current system, to have the eighth most points in a conference and miss the playoffs.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Best case scenario would be to miss playoffs by 1 point and win one of the 3 lottery spots.

Could happen too.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
As much as I'd love another absolute stud prospect....

If this team flirts with a playoff spot, it will be a positive sign of the "Winning Culture" our new management team is trying to inject. This could be more important for the team moving forward.

However, there's also a very real possibility that we finish near the bottom, pick high, and still make strides towards improving the culture.

Basically: I will be happy with either outcome so long as it's clear the culture is moving in a positive direction; which I feel is the most important thing for this franchise.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I want to watch the Marlies on leafs tv actually lol. I know the top line will score a little less but play much better on the decensive side of the puck. I lnow Lupul staying healthy and Kadri playing on 1 year deal while training like never before will have some effects.

Bozak might be a gem playing 3rd line minutes while Mattias racks up points and trade value playing second line center.

I basically have to many questions on how the new players will effect the quality of play. I have a feeling this team will be tougher toget points from than last years group even with kessels scoring traded.

Kessel being moved is basically a neutral move you improve defensively and try adding scoring to replace his. The possession game of the first line can only be better seeing it eas worst in the league.

I don't think we will as bad but there is still enough talent that is interested in a bounce back season that its a hard thing to guess at.

We won't be making the playoffs if all thing are equal to last season. I think we just miss the playoffs by 6 to 8 points. It is hard to figure because losing kessel just might make us better instead of being a man short defensively 20 minutes a game.

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I would never be upset with a playoff experience. But at the same time, I don't want fans to get the wrong impression of what this team truly is.

Right now, they are basically all (except maybe 4-5) on tryout deals to see where they proceed in their careers. And that shouldn't cloud what to expect from this team.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
If I had to pick one way or the other, I would go for 16th, which imo means 2nd last in the NHL = another great pick.

Better than being a bubble team imo.

However, really, I don't care, and just want to see a team put 100% effort in. Where we end up is fine by me.

Shwaguy*

The thing is, if we finish 8th that means a lot of things.

It means Rielly likely emerged as a #1D. It means Kadri stuck as a #1B centre. Phaneuf brought his value up, our rentals got their value up for when we sold them at the deadline (We'll trade them all regardless of our standing), it means we probably had a Rookie like Marner/Nylander/Brown/Percy come in and make an immediate impact in the top 6/top 4

So if that happened. I wouldn't really mind. This season should result in something positive for us regardless of where we finish as long as we stick to the plan

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I rather we get a chance of getting Matthews and Chychrun before we start competing for the playoffs

Me too. I wish Lou would just trade Lupul,Bernier,Bozak and Jvr before the season gets going. Its time to keep blowing it up. More players need to go.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1) Get to the playoffs on the back of terrific growth and development from our young core + prospects.
2) End up 16th in spite of good performances from those of the young brigade called up.
3) Get to the playoffs for the wrong reason (carried by veterans + UFA signings)
4) End up last a lot due to horrible seasons from our young, potential core members on the team.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I am making the assumption that you mean "hold the second wild card" (i.e., have the last playoff spot) when you say "finish 8th". Because it is possible in the current system, to have the eighth most points in a conference and miss the playoffs.

That's correct. I just thought it would be easier to say '8th' but by the I meant the second wild card spot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
16th - a top prospect is key to move forward he Leafs will move out their free agents by he deadline - quite sure that will kill off any potential playoff am chances.

Regardless, I'm expecting them to be a bottom tier team from the very start of the season.

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
I see absolutely no point in making the playoffs.

When the brass keeps telling us "there will be pain"...no playoffs is part of the pain and it's what I'm expecting.

Making the playoffs will put a krinkle in the rebuild.

Rebuilding through the draft is the only way.

In 3 years we've drafted 3 great players...we need at least 1 more high draft pick for the future core of our team.

Don't screw it up now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The 2 best option results from every season is either make the playoffs and compete for the Cup or finish as low as possible to get the earliest possible pick if the playoffs are missed.

Leafs likely to finish in the middle somewhere this year.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I chose 16th because of how many temporary players we likely have on the roster, but I won't care where they finish as long as you can see the culture change happening.

Just work hard and show some pride next year. That's all I ask.

Last edited:

Shwaguy*

Calgary was better off for getting into the playoffs than tanking this past season due to the growth and development of their young players while still sticking to the rebuild and acquiring picks

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I want the Leafs to get the highest draft pick possible, but it wouldn't surprise me if the team overachieves under Babcock's tutelage and flirts with a playoff spot. Good thing the draft lottery rules change next year.

What's the changes?

Never mind, I got them. It will be like the NBA. However, I don't see how it would be good or bad for Toronto. Toronto could lose draft ranking as well as gain.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Calgary was better off for getting into the playoffs than tanking this past season due to the growth and development of their young players while still sticking to the rebuild and acquiring picks

Wonder which odds were better?

McDavid
Stanley Cup

Eichel or Finals
Strome or Quarters
Marner a playoffs win
Hanifin a playoffs appearance

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The 2 best option results from every season is either make the playoffs and compete for the Cup or finish as low as possible to get the earliest possible pick if the playoffs are missed.

Leafs likely to finish in the middle somewhere this year.

They need to finish moving out players. Lou has his work cut out for finishing this up. The good thing is he got sarcastic during questioning about the reshaping of the lineup. He said its a understatement that the line-up needs improvement.

I still contend that only the youngest players should be spared in this rebuild. Kessel was a start and until the other two thirds of the worst first line in the nhl are moved i won't be happy. Lupul should be moved too if there is the least chance. Bernier can go too. I want this rebuild done completely as we were told.

It seems everyone is forgetting this is not finished. Just saying.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hard to decide bc it all depends on what happens when the season starts. If I am to make a prediction, I have to take away last year bc it was just a horrible year and everybody under performed. I think the team will be tighter as a unit in defence, probably be less give away, more back checking from the forwards and less stupid mistakes. However, the talent level just not there for them to make the playoffs in the East.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad