What would you prefer this year: 8th or 16th

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
As long as the team busts their ass off every night, I'm happy wherever. We have the talent of a bottom 5 team, so even if we overachieve, we'll still probably have a top 10 pick with 3 chances for a lottery pick.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I want one more bad season, and then i'll be hoping for an 8-12 finish in the conference.

At least 1 more year should be a given. Marner and Nylander are just a beginning of doing it the right way. I don't even like that this thread is setting the tone for expectations of making the playoffs actually.

This thing is in its infancy of a rebuild. Keep rebuilding mr lou. There should be no other expectation for this team than to expect tearing it down further at the trade deadline and the same previously.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
And the reason I want the team to bust its ass off every night is because Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri still have much to learn, JVR needs to keep up good work habits, and for everyone else who is expendable (everyone from Phaneuf down to the 1-year guys), a better performance will yield better returns on trades. I don't want to see a sorry repeat of last year where the entire team minus Rielly gave up.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
we need to tank. we need elite quality prospects. mathews or chychrun should be our target.

Darn right we do. I want a young competitive team that makes their mistakes in the learning process. No need for paying Bernier to much money, or keeping Jvr around or any big contracts of players that won't be required in 5 years from now.

This blowup scorched earth or whatever it needs to be called needs to continue immediately. I'm with you on this bro.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
16th. I would still like one elite D prospect, and even if we don't get Chychrun, there's plenty of top end D this next draft.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And the reason I want the team to bust its ass off every night is because Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri still have much to learn, JVR needs to keep up good work habits, and for everyone else who is expendable (everyone from Phaneuf down to the 1-year guys), a better performance will yield better returns on trades. I don't want to see a sorry repeat of last year where the entire team minus Rielly gave up.

Jvr was as bad as the other two on his line defensively and gets no respect from me for it. He quit like the other two. He needs to go i think.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'm of the mindset of making the playoffs and still cashing in at the TD. That'd be the best situation in my opinion. But I'd also like one of Matthews, Chychrun and Puljujarvi, so I really don't care

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I don't think Babcock, will get us to the bottom.

If I had to choose, it would be playoffs.
I don't mind either, as long as I can see the progression.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Jvr was as bad as the other two on his line defensively and gets no respect from me for it. He quit like the other two. He needs to go i think.

I have no problem trading JVR if the right deal came along (same with Kadri), but otherwise I like his size to go along with some of our smaller guys. I also feel JVR will be much better when the team environment isn't so poisoned like last year.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
All I want to see is improvement when it comes to playing hard, structured hockey. I don't really care where we finish, though obviously I'm not expecting much.

If this team can give its all every night, work to the extent of their talent, and not give up any easy games then I'm happy. Stick to the plan, don't fold, and we can always trade up to a better draft position if we so desire.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
If we make the playoffs with all of Marner, nylander and kapanen developing, the future looks good.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
I am making the assumption that you mean "hold the second wild card" (i.e., have the last playoff spot) when you say "finish 8th". Because it is possible in the current system, to have the eighth most points in a conference and miss the playoffs.

No ****

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
If our young players step up and carry the team to decent results, fair enough.

If we get dragged to a playoff spot by Babcock's system, our short-term vets, and a weak conference, that I have no interest in. We should still be selling at the deadline if that is happening.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
As I always root for the team to win, watching the end of last season knowing losing was better was hard. My head says one thing, my heart another. Right now I will just try to be patient and let things play out. Doesn't really matter what my preference is- otherwise the Leafs would win the cup year in and year out. :laugh:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
8th if our top prospects are on the roster, 16th if our roster consists of a bunch of veterans on 1 year deals.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
8th if our top prospects are on the roster, 16th if our roster consists of a bunch of veterans on 1 year deals.

this pretty much.

if our played is fueled by our future, I want the best possible result.
if not, then (shrug) I don't care, as long as the future on the team does well

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

if we finished last and won one of the first 2 lotteries Chychrun/Mathews would be far more value then all the assets returned at the deadline by those 1 year players combined.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A top three prospect at the next draft could set the Leafs up for a long term success plan.

Iverall I want our younger guys like a Kadri and Rielly to play well, but for the team to finish in the bottom tier, maximizing their lottery odds.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
#tanknation honestly we just need to get as low as 3rd overall. I think Chychrun will be there at #3. If not we get Pulajarvi who is a stud who can skate and has size and skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad