Speculation: What would you pay Larkin on an extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's hot
I mean, there were articles about them pulling out all the stops for him. They even brought in the mayor of Toronto (lol) to lay it on thick.

Ask yourself if you’d be comfortable letting Larkin talk to other teams for 4 days.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

There was a 7 day period for UFA offers back then. Stamkos visited with at least 5 teams, plus other video offers during that time and Tor and I think Boston were 2 of them. Toronto did indeed pull out all the stops trying to bring him in, including having former key players talk with him.

Larkin did that fastest skater comp like a pure #2C lol.

What on earth does that even mean? You expect him to be as fast as he was in 2015? You can be the fastest man on earth and not be a good player at all.

Reactions: SoupNazi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Larkin isn't better than Horvat. They are pretty much equal, with Horvat having better goal scoring and is a better driver of possession.

And overpaying a middling player like Larkin is also a step backwards.

I don’t think you’ve ever seen Horvat if you believe he’s better than Larkin.

Horvat was the 3rd best forward on Vancouver and didn’t have to carry his team as much as Larkin has. Horvat’s boosted production is a result of playing in a zero defense system.

Larkin on Van produces as much or more than Horvat did while providing better two way play.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don’t think you’ve ever seen Horvat if you believe he’s better than Larkin.

Horvat was the 3rd best forward on Vancouver and didn’t have to carry his team as much as Larkin has. Horvat’s boosted production is a result of playing in a zero defense system.

Larkin on Van produces as much or more than Horvat did while providing better two way play.

You say all that and think Larkin is a better two way player. Sounds like you never watched Horvat. Horvat spent the first half of his career playing a much more defensive role and his defensive metrics are superior to Larkin's.

And if he was used the same way as Horvat was used in Van, Larkin would have fewer points over his career by a significant margin. Larkin has been used way more in offensive zone starts and faceoffs than Horvat.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And if he was used the same way as Horvat was used in Van, Larkin would have fewer points over his career by a significant margin. Larkin has been used way more in offensive zone starts and faceoffs than Horvat.
If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

Larkin has never not been the best offensive player on the Wings so we really don't know much about how he'd look if he had just one more player challenging for top offensive duties. Personally I think a 2nd line Larkin would eat a lot of matchups alive.

Reactions: Perfect Human

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

Larkin has never not been the best offensive player on the Wings so we really don't know much about how he'd look if he had just one more player challenging for top offensive duties. Personally I think a 2nd line Larkin would eat a lot of matchups alive.

I agree with you to an extent, I think if he becomes a second line center he'd be used in a more mixed role than he is now and get less offensive zone starts and faceoffs. So I think he'd be more valuable as a second line center but I think his point totals would be similar if not a tad lower than today. And my response was to the previous poster who said that Larkin on Van would do better than Horvat did, but the poster didn't understand at all what Horvat's usage was.

appiepi

Nov 17, 2021
Trade Larkin for a 1st+ then welcome him back with a 9m × 8 year contract. Tampering?

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
But if you trade him back with his UFA status... then it's back to 8th year situation?

If whoever you traded him to then sends you back his rights, the eighth year is back on the table.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't follow contract negotiations that close me so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Horvat contract helps the Wings side of things doesn't it? Given the other big point of reference was the Barzal contract?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't follow contract negotiations that close me so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Horvat contract helps the Wings side of things doesn't it? Given the other big point of reference was the Barzal contract?

Horvat sets the ceiling on an 8 year contract for Larkin. Horvat is having a better contract season and has slightly better advanced stats over his career, so him getting 8.5x8 pretty much torpedoes Larkin's camp's argument he deserves 9 or more.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad