What would you give up for the 3rd and 5th pick

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
This is another silly thread.

Why would Ottawa want to trade the 3rd and 5th OA?
Exactly. This is another one of those threads designed to reply "No" to every response. Because no team would be willing to pony up the price Ottawa would require. And I think this has already been done.

To make it a little more realistic, it should be discussing a trade for the #5 alone, though Ottawa is better off (and 99% likely) keeping and making the pick.

Reactions: Ciao

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
No chance Ottawa takes Marner. Have you seen the signing bonus money he’s going to make? Ottawa doesn’t do that. No way can it work.

If Marner is immediately traded after the 2nd signing bonus is paid his salary over a the 5 year period is $7.02m vs. his cap hit of 10.89m . That is a $3.87m per year (0r 19.35m over 5 years) in savings in real dollars

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Could Ottawa afford what was coming back?
Based on history, extremely unlikely at best. Maybe just a simple no is the best answer.

Ottawa has almost always jettisoned their best players when they reach their "pay day" contracts. The idea that they will now suddenly do something different is bizarre.

So, the Senators best hope to go far in the playoffs (and/or try to win a Cup) is to rely on some very talented ELCs. The idea of trading for established (and expensive) stars seems particularly dumb, ill-suited and malapropos.

Reactions: Guitpik

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
History shows with the 3rd and 5th overall that the chances are one of the players the Sens get will be a stud and the other an underwhelming player. I don't think this draft has a Heiskenan and Pettersson available in those slots. I've got a feeling Byfield will be the bust and a player like Rossi will be the star.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Just no. Blake won't pay the exorbitant price that Ottawa will rightly ask. The Kings will make the pick at #2.
The title of the thread is what would I give up so it is my right to say whatever I wish in response.

Now to defend my proposal. If the kings are ok with both guys then they can pick up Drysdale or Raymond @ 5 win win

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Monahan + 19th OA for 5th OA + OTT 2020 2nd + OTT 2021 2nd.

EDIT: Can’t read today, I don’t think the Flames have a realistic deal for both.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Keep the picks and draft BPA. Your best 2 players are under 23 and established. One is an elusive top pairing Dman. You guys have a boatload of prospects that project as quality bottom 9 forwards and maybe a guy like Formenton ends up being a top line winger.

Ottawa will be able to add one of:

Byfield- projects top line center

or

Stutzle- projects top line playmaking winger that make possible handle life as a center

as well as one of:

Drysdale - would be not look good beside Chabot

Raymond - this guy is all skill

Rossi - small bodied pit bull that plays center

Perfetti - genius that puts up points w/o elite speed

Askarov - a reach but franchise goalie written all over him

Holtz - another reach but if you grab Stutzle, man could you see him feeding Holtz.

You are a young team, that has an owner that may not want to spend. What a great position to be in with the third and fifth pics.

You also have a leader first rounder and a ton of other draft capital that you can move up. I’ve always maintained that Ottawa has the chance to walk out of the draft with:

Byfield, Drysdale, and Askarov.

As a Kings fan we won a cup in the backbone of

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick

If I was your GM I would be looking at a way to make the above three pics happen.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
My rankings are:

1 Lafreniere
2 Stutzle
3 Byfield
4 Raymond
5 Jarvis

I value Stutzle over Byfield by a good margin currently and it’s very possible he’s there at 3. While the value there excites me, I feel my #5 Jarvis should be available in the 10-12 range. I wouldn’t trade up and give up unnecessary value for that pick.

As a Rangers fan, my big move would be for Stutzle. I value Panarin, Zibanejad, Lafreniere, Kakko, and Shesterkin more.

I’d think hard about Fox and Lundkvist but I think I’d cave to move one of them straight 1 for 1. I don’t see Ottawa accepting.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
No. No. Please stop trying to trade the Rocket Richard winning 24 year old signed for $6.66 million for a pick. He's one of the best value / dollar players in the NHL.

I thought I had named Tkachuk in there.

Look, Pastrnak is a great goal scorer but they have to
move him, DeBrusk and Krejci to have a legit chance
to bring in AP and Hall.

This team has next to zero chance of beating TB
w/o a #1 D in the same area code as Hedman.
McAvoy isn't close to Hedman in impact. So those
moves will get you Hall and AP.

Also Hedman is a LD matching up against Pastrnak.
What do you think happens in that match up?

Sorry coach big changes are needed. Get AP
to solidify that D and get Hall to help mitigate
the void #88 will leave.

Incidentally I want Cirelli also but thats another debate.

I see to many re-arranging the chairs of the Titanic.
Deals with Hanifin aren't cutting it. For about 1.3M
more give me AP over OEL six days a week and twice on Sundays.

In

D AP, Lauzon

F Hall, Cirelli, Tkachuk, Byfield, Studnicka

Out

D Moore, Gryz, Krug

F Pastrnak, Krejci, DeBrusk, Kase

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
4fp3m5.jpg

Reactions: Pinto Bean

Ad