What would you give up for the 3rd and 5th pick

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Next draft is stacked at D; Ottawa will most likely pick top-10 again. We already got some guys that need to be looked at more closely as well (Lajoie, Jaros, Wolanin, Brannstrom) Not to mention JBD coming in soon.
At this rate Ottawa will always be picking top 10

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Keep the picks and draft BPA. Your best 2 players are under 23 and established. One is an elusive top pairing Dman. You guys have a boatload of prospects that project as quality bottom 9 forwards and maybe a guy like Formenton ends up being a top line winger.

Ottawa will be able to add one of:

Byfield- projects top line center

or

Stutzle- projects top line playmaking winger that make possible handle life as a center

as well as one of:

Drysdale - would be not look good beside Chabot

Raymond - this guy is all skill

Rossi - small bodied pit bull that plays center

Perfetti - genius that puts up points w/o elite speed

Askarov - a reach but franchise goalie written all over him

Holtz - another reach but if you grab Stutzle, man could you see him feeding Holtz.

You are a young team, that has an owner that may not want to spend. What a great position to be in with the third and fifth pics.

You also have a leader first rounder and a ton of other draft capital that you can move up. I’ve always maintained that Ottawa has the chance to walk out of the draft with:

Byfield, Drysdale, and Askarov.

As a Kings fan we won a cup in the backbone of

Kopitar, Doughty, Quick

If I was your GM I would be looking at a way to make the above three pics happen.

Well, we don't know if Drysdale and Chabot would play well together or not yet. However, the thought of two potential number ones, split up, but each logging 20 plus a night, anchoring their own number one pairing, while being able to match up right or left D against whomever t h e opponent rolls out, is really intriguing. That has been a recipe for success previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: funky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They reached for Ceci so I expect OTT to keep the picks and draft Rossi at #3 and Quinn #5.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Let's see. 3rd OA and 5th OA are 2 draft picks. So.....

(#3 + #5)/2 = #4 OA

What do I win?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Marner. Making 7mil per year in actual cash for the next 4 years should be appealing for Eugene.
I'd consider the 5th for Marner, but probably not the 3rd.

Also, those two picks will be paid less than 8M combined over the next 3-4 years, which is much, much more savings and value for Eugene.

I'm also super against helping the leafs get out of cap hell, although I'm sure someone will.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
They reached for Ceci so I expect OTT to keep the picks and draft Rossi at #3 and Quinn #5.
He was 14th on Bob's list and they took him 15th. He wasn't a reach at all, he was actually the second highest rated north american D by central scouting.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
No chance Ottawa takes Marner. Have you seen the signing bonus money he’s going to make? Ottawa doesn’t do that. No way can it work.
I believe they were paid their bonus already, so he is only owed $700k for the 20-21 season. In a normal year the draft would happen before July 1st signing bonus, but since the draft is delayed, Marner is only owed $35m in cash. If you divide that by 5 years, it works out to an Avg. of $7M/yr in real $dollars$.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I believe they were paid their bonus already, so he is only owed $700k for the 20-21 season. In a normal year the draft would happen before July 1st signing bonus, but since the draft is delayed, Marner is only owed $35m in cash. If you divide that by 5 years, it works out to an Avg. of $7M/yr in real $dollars$.

Marner is still owed like 30 million dollars in signing bonus money over the duration of the contract, which Ottawa would have to pay. I don’t see it happening.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Marner is still owed like 30 million dollars in signing bonus money over the duration of the contract, which Ottawa would have to pay. I don’t see it happening.
Why not? It's only $7M per year avg? The first year they would only owed him a base salary of $700k, against a cap hit of $10.93M, so in theory they are actually deferring each years salary by one year, which is actually more advantageous for OTT than if there was no signing bonuses.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

( i'll play ) Why not Schiefele ;)

Raymond Stutzle Laine :naughty: how about that line for the next 10 to 12 years.

(If you meant) You want to go younger right?
You keep your youngest player who scored the most goals for your team the last 4 years and play him with those 2. The next 10-12 years

Draft Lundell at 10

Raymond Stutzle Laine
Connor Lundell Ehlers

Make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad