What would peak Ovechkin look like in the 80's?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Actually, the 50's might prove to be more difficult than most of us understand. It was a different animal. I know OV is huge and faster/stronger than almost anyone that time. But the 50's really was the time when someone would literally knock you unconscious with his stick.

That ended up in 8 games suspension. Today, it's a lifetime ban with jail-time.

So he wouldn't obliterate 1950's NHL because the players would be attacking him with their sticks? Okay then.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So he wouldn't obliterate 1950's NHL because the players would be attacking him with their sticks? Okay then.

No. My point was that back in the 50's the game was vastly different. It took a different kind of approach to the game. If we put Ovechkin in a time machine and shift him to the 50's, he doesn't know how to play there. If he were born in the 30's and grew up in that time he would be among the best players and often the best player on the planet.

But the time machine argument doesn't really work. What it took to play in that league was so different than what it takes today that Ovechkin's skills don't necessarily protect him from the brutality. He would skate circles around these guys. Score at will. For 5 minutes. Then the opposing team would get fed up with it and make him pay.

As a hockey player (by our standards) Ovechkin is miles ahead of these guys. In a vacuum that is. But if we implement him to that time, Ovechkin probably doesn't have the tools to handle that game. He has the body and speed. But not the mindset.

It doesn't make Ovechkin any worse player and it doesn't make those guys any better. It is just what it is. Different world back then.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
If Ovechkin's peak was in the 80s he would most likely not put up as much points in the NHL over a career. Look at other elite Russian players from that era, and they were not allowed to leave the Soviet Union, most did not join till the 89-90 season - that was Larionov (age 29) and Festiov's (age 31) first season.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
If Ovechkin's peak was in the 80s he would most likely not put up as much points in the NHL over a career. Look at other elite Russian players from that era, and they were not allowed to leave the Soviet Union, most did not join till the 89-90 season - that was Larionov (age 29) and Festiov's (age 31) first season.

But this scenario has Ovie in the NHL, so we’re ignoring the prohibition of defection.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
He'd be the greatest player of all time, no question.

There's not a single player who could handle his combination of speed and physicality. And good luck finding a goalie back in that era that could handle Ovie's shot, the padding was way smaller and goalies are frankly miles ahead of where they were in the 80s.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
With current equipment it almost wouldn't be fair to the goalies back then. It would be painful to get in the way of his slapshot or one-timers.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Time machine scenario? Drop any one of today's stars in the 80s and they'd re-write the record books.

Frigging Cal Clutterbuck might be a top 10 scorer....and Ovi.... jeez he'd score every other shift.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Are you implying that Gretzky and Lemieux are aliens?

They're not human. Gretzky has a hockey IQ of 350 and has eyes in the back of his head.

Lemieux is a guy who scored 35 goals, 76 points in 43 games after coming out of retirement. He was a regular smoker, just finished his battle with cancer and was out of shape.
The guy scores goals while carrying a 200 lbs dude on his back.

Ovechkin's ability to shoot the puck is out of this world and impossible to replicate.
Being one of the fastest skater in top speed and acceleration at 230-240 lbs is also inhuman.

9148130.jpg

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have been drinking so forgive me, I read the title and it looked like " Imagine how Ovechkin would look in his 80s". He is ugly in his twenties, one of those Peyton Manning types blessed with 3/4 of the total package. He can't go all the way because he is ugly, that holds him back just like Manning.:laugh:

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
The psychology of humans is fascinating, the way in which we romanticize the past, and how we raise up previous legends to be untouchable by modern players. Just the training and athleticism alone, would make a large number of NHLer's today stars back then.

If you transported prime Ovechkin back to the 80's he would be better than Gretzky. Hockey IQ doesn't mean **** when every one of your slapshots is going into the net. He would be unstoppable. He's certainly rugged enough, and he throws his weight around a lot. Gretzky was amazing, but he played in a much different NHL, and different time of training and the athletes were generally just not as exceptional as a whole. The top players of today would tear the old NHL apart. If Ovi can score like he does with these mammoth, technically sound goalies we have today, he would put the goalies of old to shame.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
hard to say, would he have more points. Ya id think so, but at the same time, I dont think he would get away with as much stuff. I think there would be more dudes out there willing to try to take him out physically honestly. Ovechikin gets away with a lot of crap as far as im concerned. Gotta remember that Hockey now compared to even just 20-25 years ago, there was a ton more hooking, and grabbing etc. Its why there was also way more diving back then, because at times it was like christ well call something already lol(Which is also a funny topic because even with all the hooking etc players just seemed faster back then but anyway), now everything is called it seems so theres not as much need to dive.

Anyway I guess im getting off topic, but ya he would have more points obviously no question. But lets remember as well, there were more tough guy dudes that im sure would be looking to drop him for charging and all the other crap he gets away with all the time. Anyway entire 80s is a little early for me I guess to accurately say since im only so old to remember but ya~

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Just imagine Ovechkin going back exactly how he is now with modern equipment back in the 80's. Itd be hilarious. I could just imagine him taking his first shot and everyone just standing there in shock.

CAPS LOCK

Aug 10, 2005
Just imagine Ovechkin going back exactly how he is now with modern equipment back in the 80's. Itd be hilarious. I could just imagine him taking his first shot and everyone just standing there in shock.

Imagine how the goalies would cringe everytime he shot it off their chest protectors...and imagines how many broken bones on defenders he would cause, christ the man sends defending players off at an alarming rate now with todays improved equipment. All he would have to do is crank 100 mph slappers at defending players skates and dudes would be done, Flamingo city

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00