What would peak Ovechkin look like in the 80's?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Scariest thought: Ovechkin on Gretzky's wing. Peter Pocklington could have played goal personally and the Oilers would have won a majillion Cups.

Davebo*

This is so hypothetical. The game was much more rougher and dirtier back then. Ovechkin liked to hit a lot when he first came into the league. If he did that in the 80s, or even in the DPE, I think there's a big risk he would have run into much more injuries. See Cam Neely or Lindros.

Another thing with the 80s is that the star game was more focused on individual creativity. Ovechkin's good at rushing the puck, but he's never been the most creative or unpredictable guy with the puck.

He would have scored a lot of goals, and he probably would have been near the top of the scoring charts, but some of the suggestions in this thread is a bit off, I think.

That's what I was coming to suggest. Peak Ovechkin vs the hitters of the 80's? Imagine he and Lindros coming together - oh my.... :help:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Teleport? He would be considered the greatest player of all time in 10 games, and by the end of a season he would either have his career ended on a cheapshot, or cause NHL to force some radical changes to the game, because the guy would literally score on every other shot.

I'm not worried about some insane physical play. Ovechkin is a great skater, 235 lbs, physically tough and plays with his head up in a much faster era. He'd give injuries, not take them. The only thing to stop him would be cheapshots.

Now, if AO just was born then, Idk. He's never been known as a super diet follower or a fitness maniac, just has always struck as a super talent. I still think he would be the greatest goal scorer of that era and ever.

The better question is, what would happen if Ovechkin started playing hockey earlier than at 8 years?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
There would not be a player like ovechkin during the 80's. Cause players and human beings trained differently back then and used different type of methods. And different types of ingredients. Nowadays.... these human beings eat such differents types of things, they didn't have those back then. That's why players are more faster and powerful.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
hard to say, would he have more points. Ya id think so, but at the same time, I dont think he would get away with as much stuff. I think there would be more dudes out there willing to try to take him out physically honestly. Ovechikin gets away with a lot of crap as far as im concerned. Gotta remember that Hockey now compared to even just 20-25 years ago, there was a ton more hooking, and grabbing etc. Its why there was also way more diving back then, because at times it was like christ well call something already lol(Which is also a funny topic because even with all the hooking etc players just seemed faster back then but anyway), now everything is called it seems so theres not as much need to dive.

Anyway I guess im getting off topic, but ya he would have more points obviously no question. But lets remember as well, there were more tough guy dudes that im sure would be looking to drop him for charging and all the other crap he gets away with all the time. Anyway entire 80s is a little early for me I guess to accurately say since im only so old to remember but ya~

Do you not realize there are far less penalties being called today than there was 20-25 years ago? Also, you think players seemed faster back then? Not too sure what you're watching, lol.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'd say at least 4-5 consecutive 60 goal seasons at least. probably a 70 goal season or two as well

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
He would most likely look the same as he does now. Not very good.
But i think he would manage to score quite a few more goals per season. 70+ goals in his peak.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
Kind of moot to make NHL comparisons. If it was the 80s he would be playing for CSKA Moscow.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The first thing they do after his first game in which he scores 5 goals, they ban composite sticks and make his wicked curve illegal, if it wasn't already.

Ovechkin then plays with the same sticks as everyone but still destroys the league because he's faster and stronger.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
With current equipment it almost wouldn't be fair to the goalies back then. It would be painful to get in the way of his slapshot or one-timers.

Al MacInnis could shoot the puck about that hard as I recall.

Bit with the small goalie equipment Ovi would be blowing stuff by guys...of course the "less technological equipment" mmight be a factor

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
the game has more talent. most players today would kill it back then. I hate these threads. its obvious he would light it up

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
he would destroy the league, 80+ goal season in his peak and consistent 60-70 goal seasons in his prime

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
If you built a time machine and inserted Ovechkin in that era, he would be considered the greatest goal scorer of all-time IMO (assuming Gretzky doesn't exist).

just like now.

Any list of top 5 goal scorers of all time without him on it is just plain wrong IMO.

3,4,1,1,3,(14),5,1,1,1 to start his career so far is simply elite, even among elite players.

In the 80's would only help his case.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
their logic is that goalies are vastly superior today and defenseman were not as good either. Ovechkin in his peak probably wouldn't score on every other shot but I could see him scoring 5 or 6 every game no problem

The players today aren't superhuman. I could see Ovechkin beating Gretzky's goal records, as his speed and shot coming down the wing would be a lethal combo in that era of goaltending, but he's not scoring 5 or 6 a game with regularity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad