Speculation: What would Mitch Marner garner if he is dangled?

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Kessel trade turned out so poorly because brian burke believed way too much in toskala and gustavsson
not so much as expecting to sign the Sedin's and having a top line of Sedin-Sedin-Kessel ...when that didnt work out the leafs were still expecting to be a 10-15th overall pick team, not fighting to stay out of last

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Well let's look at it from the precedent standpoint.

21 year old Tyler Seguin was traded for a first line player Loui Eriksson and prospects Rilly Smith, Matt Fraser, and Joe Morrow. Since Rich Peverley was traded along with Seguin, let's assign one of the prospects to him. Therefore, Seguin was traded for a first liner and 2 A/B prospects.

Whether it was an over/under payment could and has started a bunch of threads of its own. But that was the deal.

So based on that, Mitch Marner return should be a first line player + 2 top prospects.

What do you guys think?
Seguin was a closer comparison to Nylander than Marner

Reactions: TFHockey

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would do Klefbom/Nurse + any 2 prospects not named Evan Bouchard + 2nd round pick

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
If the Leafs called and offered Marner straight across for any of these players, what GM says yes?
Elias Pettersson
Johnny Gaudreau
Leon Draisaitl
Mikko Rantanen
Jack Eichel
Rasmus Dahlin
Thomas Chabot
David Pastrnak
Dylan Larkin
Johnathan Huberdeau
Brayden Point
Patrick Laine
Matt Dumba
Jacob Trouba
Alex Debrincat
Colton Parayko
Sebastian Aho
Evgeni Kuznetsov
Matt Barzal
I wouldn't trade Point for Marner.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Let me be first to say that trading Marner is absolutely the last resort for the Leafs. I consider him untouchable or as close to untouchable as there is on the team. The only reason I rate Matthews higher is due to the position he plays, but Mitch drives his line being a winger and is hockey sense is honestly second to none.

Hypothetically, if the contract talks are difficult and Leafs begin entertaining offers for Mitch, what would your team offer?
Friedman just on 590, said he is asking for Matthew's money. Leafs came back at 9.5. Thinks good chance of offer sheet.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
If the Leafs called and offered Marner straight across for any of these players, what GM says yes?
Elias Pettersson
Johnny Gaudreau
Leon Draisaitl
Mikko Rantanen
Jack Eichel
Rasmus Dahlin
Thomas Chabot
David Pastrnak
Dylan Larkin
Johnathan Huberdeau
Brayden Point
Patrick Laine
Matt Dumba
Jacob Trouba
Alex Debrincat
Colton Parayko
Sebastian Aho
Evgeni Kuznetsov
Matt Barzal

I think Gaudreau, Chabot, Larkin, Hubs, Laine, Dumba, Debrin, Parayko and Kuz probably all say yes - the res I would think are a no.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Gaudreau, Chabot, Larkin, Hubs, Laine, Dumba, Debrin, Parayko and Kuz probably all say yes - the res I would think are a no.

The Wild likely wouldn’t say yes at this juncture, especially with Fenton as GM.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
100% trade his ass if he wants to be paid like Matthews. The matthews contract is barf worthy dont sign up for another one. Dubas needs to be cutthroat and aggressive. Marner trade has the potential to seriously fix our roster holes if its goes along with a skinner/lee/dzingle type signing in f/a

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Friedman just on 590, said he is asking for Matthew's money. Leafs came back at 9.5. Thinks good chance of offer sheet.

AM money & term or just AM money?

Either way ouch......

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If offer sheet you take it and run if Leafs. 4 first rounders even if they are late ones it's good. Though I just trade Matthews first before letting Mitchy go.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Honestly, as a Leaf fan, I'm patiently waiting for an offer sheet that won't come. Leafs get four first round picks? Cool, we'll flip two of them for PK Subban or something. "Worst" case we get one of the most dynamic wingers in the game, best case, we have the ammo to supplement the team with an extremely valuable player with assets to spare to extend the window. Win win for us. I'm not attached to players, I'm attached to winning, and Marner getting offersheeted opens another, perhaps as valuable, opportunity for that.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That 11+ mill per year he will want will screw up trade ideas forsure. Marner is going nowhere. Dubas will let Marner run his show like others have and TO will have Marner inked for 5 years.

He will be top 5 NHL scorer for next 10 years

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Honestly, as a Leaf fan, I'm patiently waiting for an offer sheet that won't come. Leafs get four first round picks? Cool, we'll flip two of them for PK Subban or something. "Worst" case we get one of the most dynamic wingers in the game, best case, we have the ammo to supplement the team with an extremely valuable player with assets to spare to extend the window. Win win for us. I'm not attached to players, I'm attached to winning, and Marner getting offersheeted opens another, perhaps as valuable, opportunity for that.

Before this season, Nylander and Marner had similar careers.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Yup..ofcourse he will want Matthews money atleast.

I assumed that was obvious. Dubas backed himself into a corner by handing over that god awful deal to Matthews

Reactions: Snowman

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If they are only offering 9.5 100 percent I want my team offer sheeting him five years at 10 and just giving up the two firsts and whatever.

Leafs probably match but I can't see how he doesn't get at least whatever the number is before the compensation is bumped to four firsts if he holds out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad