Proposal: What would it take to get Mackinnon to Pittsburgh?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I

So what about Malkin + prospect or high end draft pick for Mackinnon?

MacKinnon is 23/24.
Malkin is what 33?

Absolutely no way Pitt gets MacKinnon for a much older Malkin and a high pick.

I do not think there is anything in the Pens organization, that is tempting enough to pry young MacKinnon away .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If nothing else this thread points out to me that there are some in Penguins land who see the party is coming to an end. Pittsburgh best players are aging. The Pens I suspect will come to see fairly soon (if they don't already) that they're going to need a real youth movement. They cannot afford to trade off important draft picks or to be making young player for veteran deals anymore. If their window isn't all the way shut--it's close. The truth is that right now they couldn't put together even a half assed respectable package that would be acceptable to the Avalanche for a player of MacKinnon's quality. Players like him are completely out of Pittsburgh's reach and if MacKinnon did pressure Colorado's management to deal him they would look to other teams that would give much better and fairer compensation.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You honestly think the OP’s proposal is fair for Mackinnon...?

Malkin+1st is a ****ing abomination of a proposal. The difference between Malkin + MacKinnon is a lot more than the 23rd~ pick.

Mackinnon is 9 years his junior, and he out produced him for a lot less money. And you think the value isn’t lopsided?

Give your head a shake too.
The OP is a new poster. Maybe he or she is a 15 year-old kid who came up with an idea for all we know. A stupid idea, that's true, but there's no need to attack him or her. It's not like he or she has been spouting stupid stuff relentlessly for years, like some others around here:)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If nothing else this thread points out to me that there are some in Penguins land who see the party is coming to an end. Pittsburgh best players are aging. The Pens I suspect will come to see fairly soon (if they don't already) that they're going to need a real youth movement. They cannot afford to trade off important draft picks or to be making young player for veteran deals anymore. If their window isn't all the way shut--it's close. The truth is that right now they couldn't put together even a half assed respectable package that would be acceptable to the Avalanche for a player of MacKinnon's quality. Players like him are completely out of Pittsburgh's reach and if MacKinnon did pressure Colorado's management to deal him they would look to other teams that would give much better and fairer compensation.
The same can be said for Washington. The Metro is going to go through a pretty big shift over the next couple years with Washington and Pitt falling back while Carolina, NYI and possibly NJ step up. I didn't include Columbus only because they pretty much sold their soul for this season. Things are still up in the air about their future, though its probably not going to look too good.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
I thought about this the other day before Mackinnon went full beast mode on Calgary. At this point he's either untouchable or you would need to give up some "untouchables" yourself to get him.

So what about Malkin + prospect or high end draft pick for Mackinnon?
I personally believe he's the single most valuable asset in hockey so I don't think you'd even wanna try to put that package together (for the guy that laughs and say McDavid is better I agree but mac is half the price of Connor and the salary cap is a real thing)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've given this a lot of thought and this is the only way it can happen.

The Avs are desolved and a dispersal draft occurs. All teams have a chance but in the end, Pittsburgh wins a "god damned lottery."

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The OP is a new poster. Maybe he or she is a 15 year-old kid who came up with an idea for all we know. A stupid idea, that's true, but there's no need to attack him or her. It's not like he or she has been spouting stupid stuff relentlessly for years, like some others around here:)

I didn't attack anyone. I criticized the post, not the poster.

Jesus, some of you people are very sensitive!

giphy.gif

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Lol. Let's assume Mackinnon were even available...

Pittsburgh has one high end skater under the age of 30, and the worst prospect pool in the league. They have nothing to offer for that type of player.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The same can be said for Washington. The Metro is going to go through a pretty big shift over the next couple years with Washington and Pitt falling back while Carolina, NYI and possibly NJ step up. I didn't include Columbus only because they pretty much sold their soul for this season. Things are still up in the air about their future, though its probably not going to look too good.

I agree that the Caps are getting there but their window is wide open right now. They could win against this year. Two-three years down the road and things might not be so rosy. As far as the Islanders--they added a lot of vets this year--some of their young D are panning along with Barzal and Beauvillier---they're not that young either and goaltending (they have a Russian guy who might turn out well) could become an issue. Jersey might wind up with goaltending as an issue.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
23 yr old SUPERSTAR signed for multiple years at 6Mil lololol

I don't even know if he were available could make a trade outside of McDavid

Reactions: Lemonlimey

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
The upgrade from Mack to McDavid isn't worth almost double the cap hit.

Agreed. I was just trying to think of a deal and I can't really think of one because of the Caphit alone outside of him being a superstar.

Schefeile + would probably be the deal lol but its not worth talking about . AVS are really lucky :)

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Every single player put together on the Pens is still not enough for Mackinnon. We're talking about a 23-24 year old top player at ~6.5 mill caphit. Rutherford would drive Crosby, Malkin, Letang etc tied up and gagged together at the opportunity to witness the moment Mackinnon dons the jersey of the Penguins of Pittsburgh

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
you've been fortunate enough with 2 elite centers for the past 10 years, now let other team enjoy them and start rebuilding like everywhere else.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad