Proposal: What would it take to get Mackinnon to Pittsburgh?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You dont think a fresh start and the opportunity to be the star of the franchise would light a fire under Malkin? I see it from Colorado's perspective too - Malkin's much older and injured frequently as of now. However i think its a motivation issue at the moment. When he's playing like he can, he's arguably the best in the league (need to see him play his best in a season with McDavid now in the league)

OK, it lights a fire under Malkin. There is still no incentive for Col. They already have the guy who is both better and younger, not to mention cheaper.

All things considered, the price is basically everything you've got. :laugh:

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I thought about this the other day before Mackinnon went full beast mode on Calgary. At this point he's either untouchable or you would need to give up some "untouchables" yourself to get him.

So what about Malkin + prospect or high end draft pick for Mackinnon?
oh no.

Mackinnon may be the best value player in the NHL right now. i honestly struggle to think of ANY return from ANY team that would get Colorado to even think about it.

in other words, it's not happening ever, no matter what.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
It's just something that wouldnt make sence for the pens and even less sence for Avs. There is nobody enticing at all for the Avs on the Pens. Even Crosby wouldn't make sense and that's probably already something that Pens fans would never allow. There is literally not even a starting piece for MacKinnon on the Pens that would make sence.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
People around this place are unreal. They'd ask a new bride out on a "date" on her wedding day. Can't a player have a great game for the team that drafted him without someone figuring a way to ship him out?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
there was an article/column/post making the rounds yesterday,
about what 'nucks would have to offer NJD or NYR to acquire Jack Hughes to play along side Quinn.
Cant find the link right now

The feedback they collected from insiders was "a Lindros-type package"
Such as Stecher, Horvat '19 1st, '20 1st, and more.
I didn't write or post it, don't shoot me.

MacKinnon, recent 1st overall,
a physical marvel as a big guy with great wheels along with his skill,
just 23, 2 straight >97 point seasons, that'll cost a heck of a lot.
i suspect Pens do not have the bundle of high-end young assets to even begin the conversation

UPDATE: found the link, but The Athletic has a fee
What the Canucks would have to do to trade up for Jack...

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I thought about this the other day before Mackinnon went full beast mode on Calgary. At this point he's either untouchable or you would need to give up some "untouchables" yourself to get him.

Colorado aren't trading Mac for a center in his 30s and Pittsburgh doesn't have any high end prospects. Picks aren't guaranteed, and putting him with Sid would ensure that the Pens are in or around the playoffs for a considerable time. That makes the picks even less valuable.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

For the record. This would have been stupid regardless of how MacKinnon does against Calgary. I doubt Colorado wants to set themselves back.....oh about a generation.

I think you have the outlook and optimism of these two franchises confused.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

See, that right there, that’s where you got yourself into trouble.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
How about this, Pittsburgh trades Crosby & Malkin and continues to pay the salaries for Mackinnon and they also agree to pay for the rest of the Colorado teams Salaries as well. That is how ridiculous it would have to be for Colorado to consider it.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You dont think a fresh start and the opportunity to be the star of the franchise would light a fire under Malkin? I see it from Colorado's perspective too - Malkin's much older and injured frequently as of now. However i think its a motivation issue at the moment. When he's playing like he can, he's arguably the best in the league (need to see him play his best in a season with McDavid now in the league)

You remind me of someone here............rhymes with Turns.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Probably something that has the AVS gm locked in a room with a bunch of ski masked gunmen,other than that cant really see this

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
A team does not trade their best player and the current “star of the franchise” for a presumptive “star of the franchise” who needs something to “light a fire under” them. Based on the optics alone, if playing with Crosby hasn’t lit a fire under Malkin, I’m sure playing in Colorado won’t be the elixir he needs.

This would be an incredible and franchise-crippling trade for the AVs. I’m not entirely convinced Malkin would have been a player to carry the AVs when he was drafted by Pittsburgh, I’m certain he’s not that player now.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Only way Crosby and MacKinnon plays together is if Penguins need to rebuild and give Crosby one more chance to chase another cup when he's in the twilight of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad