Prediction Contest: What will Kyle Dubas' first "Moneyball" type move and who is untouchable?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It's too early to have any idea what they actually will be, and that's exactly why I'll be surprised if they're moved. My expectation is that they're valued much more highly by our management team than they are by the majority of our fans.

I don't even know what to say about Rielly "easily [going] for a decent top-4"...

Of course a top 2 dman could easily go for a decent top 4 dman...for the other team. :laugh:

Get Chiarelli on the line and offer him Rielly for Larsson...:sarcasm:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hyman likely becomes more untouchable, Dubas supposedly said he was the most underrated forward on the Marlies in some interview with Steve Dangle before Hyman was on the team.

Which is funny since some people have been saying they think Dubas trades him to get him away from Babcock’s lineup decisions.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Pimping Willy for a big trade...:sarcasm:
Nah mayne they not doing that dirt there. He staying for real. For life.

Nylu our keeper for lifey son. They might move some otha suckas though. Like Bozak and JVR is gone mayne. We getting D-guys. Not druggy type, but some real defense minded suckas. They hard on that ass.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Also uh, Zaitsev still staying. He hard. And he go hard. He just got some injuries and lost some blood and flesh. Flesh and blood even better. But he finna block some suckas real hard next season again. He got time to eat that thang. Oh yeah, he getting it.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Rielly could easily go for a decent top 4. Actually even Andersen could too if we had another goalie come along.

Liljigren and Dermott could be traded. Too early to call them Untouchables.

giphy.gif

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d say he’s going to be a lot higher on guys who’ve gone through the Leafs development system (where he spent most of his time).

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Rielly could easily go for a decent top 4. Actually even Andersen could too if we had another goalie come along.

Liljigren and Dermott could be traded. Too early to call them Untouchables.
I think Liljegren's stock just went up.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Have you lost it? Stastny is a UFA that most definitely won't sign a 1 year deal. And Hertl is a huge part of the Sharks, why the hell would they trade him

I haven't lost it. I am grounded on hockey and this subject. If you really want to cut through all the crap then yes it's true. I have no idea what Dubas plans to do between now and the beginning of next season.

What I do know is that we have Moore, Plekanec, Polak, JVR, Bozak, and Komarov to replace.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't know about a "moneypuck" deal, but I would like him to take advantage of a really bad GM like Chiarelli, and maybe pick up a Klefboom cheap.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why does everyone think Dubas is an analytics only guy?

He’s labeled that way by the older media because they don’t know any better.

Someone said earlier in the thread that he’s less Billy Beane and more Theo Epstein. As in he knows analytics, and uses them, but has other resources to use and he does.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s labeled that way by the older media because they don’t know any better.

Someone said earlier in the thread that he’s less Billy Beane and more Theo Epstein. As in he knows analytics, and uses them, but has other resources to use and he does.

The media is lazy.

He’s been on the job for 23 hours.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The media is lazy.

He’s been on the job for 23 hours.

I wouldn't say they are lazy, but they need a story.

This whole "Hunter might leave" is all from the media, and there's no evidence to support it. It is getting them clicks, and people buy into it because it's a story. The same thing would have been done if Hunter was made the GM. It would
have been "Who is going to make Dubas their GM, and how will the Leafs ever replace him!?"

Kyle Dubas seemed kinda confused at the repeated questions about his relationship with Mark Hunter, because every time he said confidently he has a good relationship with Hunter, and they worked closely together, with Dubas getting Mark's advice on the Marlies roster, and Hunter getting Dubas' advice on the development of players and such.

Some here want to buy into the media story, and that's fine.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dubas's first moneyball move was picking up Michael Grabner back in '15-16.

Close, but that was Lou, and that wouldn't really be considered a "moneyball" move.

Dubas' first "moneyball" move was PA Parenteau. He saw a useful player, whose reputation was in the gutter because he was previously overpaid and then bought out in another massive market. Parenteau then had a 20/20 season for 1M, and Lou may have been able to get a pick for him if not for whatever injury he had at that deadline.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why does everyone think Dubas is an analytics only guy?

Because the idea of a 31 year rising to the top of the hockey world leveraging personal intelligence, a good eye for talent and a great hockey mind in inconceivable. There has to be a gimmick or another angle, there's no way that the upstart has earned industry respect while my decades writing hack columns/ watching from lazyboy #3 has gotten me no where

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Before Lou Lam arrived Dubas/Hunters first moves as GMs included signing Matt Hunwick, PA Parenteau and Mark Arcobello on July 1st based on analytics and value added contracts and potential impact.

We are likely to see more of these types of moves this UFA season to help fill out the roster to add experience and value added contracts.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
What I would like if we're projecting wishes into reality...

Dubas takes advantage of Washington's cap situation having to extend Carlson and manages to acquire Tom Wilson for Matt Martin plus whatever supplements confirming the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad